Your whisky predictions for 2013?December 26th, 2012
So, what do you think next year will bring to the world of whisky? I think we’re going to see a continuation of what we experienced in 2012 in many ways:
- Whisky prices will continue to rise.
- NAS (no age statement) whiskies will continue to proliferate as whisky companies deal with supply issues.
- We’ll continue to see an increase in craft distillers making whisky in the U.S.
- The proliferation of new whisky distillers outside of traditional whisky producing countries (Scotland, Ireland, Canada, United States, Japan) will continue.
- Experimentation throughout the whisky world will continue, as companies try to come up with the next cool thing.
- Whisky companies will continue to try and find new ways to get their whisky into a broader (and younger) audience with flavored whiskies, whisky cocktails, etc.
- Distillers will continue to expand by increasing production at an existing distillery or building a new distillery.
- Entrepreneurs trying to make a buck from the demand in whisky will try to come up with (and market) the next “whisky stones.”
- And on a personal level, people who don’t drink whisky will (unfortunately) continue emailing me, asking me how much that old bottle of [insert whiskey name here] they inherited from their recently decease family member is worth. And I will continue to tell them that I have no idea. And…
- We’ll try even harder to publish the best whisky magazine in the world.
There’s ten that came to mind after thinking about it for just a few minutes. How about you? What do you think will happen next year? (Serious or humorous predictions are welcome. Just keep the focus on the whisky. Don’t pick on people.)