Created by Chris Amirault, bar director at Otium in Los Angeles, this cocktail is a take on a familiar classic. “This Jack Rose [cocktail] variation with heavy Asian influences has refreshing fall notes of pomegranate and smoke from the lapsang souchong,” Amirault says.
- 1 oz. Hibiki Japanese Harmony (or other Japanese whisky with sherry notes)
- 1 oz. Laird’s applejack
- ¾ oz. lapsang souchong grenadine (recipe below)
- ¾ oz. lime juice
- egg white
- ground cinnamon and lapsang souchong powder for garnish (blend equal parts tea and cinnamon sticks in a spice grinder)
Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Dry shake to emulsify. Add ice and shake vigorously. Double strain into a chilled coupe. Sprinkle with cinnamon-lapsang souchong powder.
Lapsang Souchong Grenadine
- 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp. steeped lapsang souchong tea
- ½ tsp. orange flower water
- Use a high-speed blender or immersion blender to combine all ingredients. Keep refrigerated up to three weeks.