Created by Brian Tasch of Dusek’s in Chicago, this coffee-tinged Julep variation with Irish whiskey won the 2017 Uppers & Downers Cocktail Competition.
- 2 oz. Teeling Small Batch Irish Whiskey
- ¼ oz. Brancamenta
- ½ oz. cardamom-macademia nut syrup (see note)
- 2 oz. cold brew coffee
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Garnish: macademia nuts; mint sprig
In a Julep cup or rocks glass, pour in whiskey, Brancamenta, cardamom-macademia nut syrup, and cold brew. Fill the cup ¾ of the way with crushed ice, then agitate the whole thing with a bar spoon or swizzler. Top with more crushed ice, dash the bitters, and garnish with a macademia nut or two and a mint sprig.
Note: To make cardamom-macademia nut syrup, you need
- ½ lb. macademia nuts
- ½ oz. black cardamom seeds
- 1 qt. demerara sugar
- 1 qt. water
- 1 whole orange peel, with most of the pith removed
Toast the macadamia nuts at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes, or until evenly browned. Combine all the ingredients and simmer at low heat until you can taste the macademia nuts in the syrup. Strain, setting aside the nuts for garnish.