Speyside bound

April 14th, 2008

This Saturday, Amy and I are heading to Speyside to tour distilleries for four days. I’m calling it the “Beyond Glenlivet and Glenfiddich” tour.

We’re going to average about two a day. Stops will include BenRiach, Benromach, Glenrothes, Macallan, Cragganmore, Ardmore and Glenfarclas.

So many Speyside distilleries, so little time! Obviously, a return visit will be necessary at a later date.

10 Responses to “Speyside bound”

1. Derek De Souza says:

John, while you’re at Glenfiddich – talk to them about possibly doing a cask strength bottling for the US. At Whiskyfest Chicago, we were privledged to sample the 12 and 18 year cask stregth side by side with the finished commercial product at 86 proof – there was a world of difference!
    The presenter didn’t sound very enthusiastic about doing a cask strength.

2. If you and Amy are staying at the Craigelliche Hotel during your visit to Speyside, I may see you. Carol and I will be at the hotel Thursday evening, April 24! We will be visiting a few distilleries, but not the ones on your list! Best regards, always – latest issue of Malt Advocate is awesome!

Derek, I’m not going to Glenfiddich this time. (I was there last year.) As the theme says, I’m going “beyond Glenfiddich and Glenlivet”. I heard about the cask-strength samples at WF Chicago. Sounds exciting!

Hi Scotty. We will be staying at Macallan on the 24th, at Easter Elchies House. (I know, we are lucky people.) But I’m not feeling too sorry for you, staying at the Craigellachie Hotel. That’s across the street, practically. Maybe we will cross paths. We leave to go back home early on the 25th.

5. Mike Dereszynski says:

John Hi,
    Your a lucky dog!
    Hope the weathers fine,if not you’ll have to stay inside with a dram and a cozy fire!
    Maybe you could meet Scotty at the Highlander Inn.Is Mr Minagawa still there?
    Say hi to Mr. Walker at BenRiach and thank him for me for the Chateau d’Yquem Sauterne(Zurich Whiskyship).
    You’ll finally get to try it and who knows maybe help bottle it?!!
    Where ever you are lucky enough to visit,please thank them for me and the rest of us in the States, who appreciate their work and encourage them to keep doing what they do.
    Once again enjoy your trip,you are truly fortunate.
    Mike Dereszynski

Thanks Mike. I will say Hi to the Walkers for you. BenRiach is my first distillery, Monday morning, so it’s a great way to start the trip.

I love the Highlander Inn. I am a big cask ale fan, and they always have something delicious on the hand pump. And given that it’s only a stone’s throw away from Macallan, I DO plan on visiting. Maybe I’ll see Scotty there too!–John

7. Ewan says:

Hi John, please encourage the Walkers to keep sending us distinctive single cask Benriachs. Any chance of getting Glen Elgin 12 in the US? It is available in Canada.

Will do, Ewan. I’ll keep encouraging the Walkers. That you can count on.

I am having dinner with the director of malts for Diageo on Thursday night and will bring up Glen Ord. He’s a good friend of mine. — John

9. Rene Looper says:

Hi John,

I noticed your url in the email you’ve sent me and just checking out your web site, great stuff! Good to see so many people loving the Scotch Whisky and knowing so much about it!

I live locally (lucky me!) and have the pleasure of visiting some of the distilleries and other attractions in the area on a regular basis.

My aim is to promote the area and helping visitors with their plans, on a non commercial basis… I just love the area and people who like to visit the area.

I’m going to the opening event on the 1st of May at Glen Rothes and to the Aberlour dinner and tasting on the 2nd of May so might meet you on one of these events.

Look forward to seeing you and great web site! I’ve saved it in my favourites.

Kind regards,

Rene

Rene,

We love everything about Speyside. Going there is like our home away from home. –John