David Pickerell leaves Maker’s Mark

April 15th, 2008

After 14 years of working at Maker’s Mark, most recently as Distillery Manager and VP of Operations, David Pickerell has left Maker’s Mark. It was announced in a press release which I just received.

I have known many distillery managers over the past 20 years. Dave knows more about distilling than just about anyone else. (He also knew a lot of “dirt” about what was going on at other distilleries, which I always found amusing.) The release did not say where Dave was headed to next.

Dave is being succeeded by Kevin Smith. Kevin joined Maker’s Mark in 1998 as assistant VP of Operations and Master Distiller-in-training.

8 Responses to “David Pickerell leaves Maker’s Mark”

I never met Mr. Pickerell, but no one I have spoken to over many years ever had anything but the highest respect for him. As evidence of his skill, you need look no further than where Maker’s stands in the industry now versus 14 years ago. There are distilleries that could certainly use his extensive expertise, and I hope that one of them brings him aboard. Perhaps, as an independent consultant, he could be of benefit to multiple operations. Hats off, Dave!

Yes, let’s hope he lands somewhere within the whiskey-making world. It would be a great loss if he didn’t. If I find out where he’s going, I’ll post it up.

3. Kevin says:

Wow… I have a trip planned to Kentucky next month, and was going to have lunch with Dave Pickerell; I was looking forward to meeting him! Oh well, best of luck to him!

Hopefully you will still be having lunch with him: just at another distillery.

5. lawschooldrunk says:

for a second, I thought that was kevin smith of view askew films and “clerks” fame. would have been interesting, though…

6. Dave’s presence will be missed certainly. I’ve got a link to his background in case anyone wants to read more. http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDetail.aspx?PersonID=65442174

cheers,

7. David Lee says:

Dave was my Chemistry prof at West Point and I recall our distilling experiment in the labs of Bartlett Hall with fondness. Best to Dave.

8. Andrew Hoyord says:

Dave Pickerell is now involved with a new organic whiskey company in Woodinville, WA (otherwise know for having over 50 wineries including Columbia and Chateau Ste. Michelle, and the Redhook brewery).
    It’s called the Woodinville Whiskey Co. Their grand opening party is this Saturday 10/16/2010.
    Website: http://woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/