I’m off to Speyside

April 19th, 2008

I’ll be in Scotland touring distilleries through Friday, April 25th. It is very likely that I will not have the time (or means) to post anything up until I get back. But, by then, I should have plenty to tell you. Have a great week!

6 Responses to “I’m off to Speyside”

Yiou and Amy are living the dream! The rest of us are living vicariously though you and awaiting the report. Have a fabulous time!

Sam,

First night. Just finished dinner at the Highlander Inn in Craigellachie. Great cask ales and the food and whisky are equally as good. Our dinner partner, Ronnie Cox from the Glenrothes rounded out the evening.

Busy day tomorrow. BenRiach in the morning and then Benromach (and Gordon & MacPhail) in the afternoon and evening.

Every time I come here I am reminded how nice the people are. It’s a country I never tire of visiting.

I will post when I can. No promises. –John (ending the evening with a Cutty 25 year old.)

BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!

Monday morning. I’m up early (damned jet lag) and though I would sneak in a quick post.

I was really surprised by the Cutty 25, which, by the way, is not available in the U.S. Really well balanced, full of flavor, yet easy to drink. Amy had one–and finished it. That doesn’t happen that often.

Back to that dinner last night: Appetiser was scottish scallops on a bed of black pudding. Yum! Local Scottish pheasant for the main, with a selection of Scottish cheases (along with a pint of cask ale) for dessert. I’ll be letting out a notch on the belt before the week is over.

I love fishing and I am hoping to get out fly fishing for salmon for an hour or two if I can sneak it in. Odds are slim on that one, as I will have to twist some arms and pull some strings. Everything is privately owned here. –John

Tuesday morning. Yesterday was a long day at BenRiach & Benromach & Gordon& MacPhail. Many whiskies tasted, going back to 1938 (a Mortlach). All I can say for the moment is that the previos owners of BenRiach were fools to sell it. — John

I also was able to grab a couple pints of cask ales along the way, including Timothy Taylor Landlord and Orkney Dark Island.

Todays visit are to Ardmore and Glenrothes.