New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies

May 19th, 2008

I was speaking with my friend who imports Burn Stewart whiskies into the U.S., and he told me about two new expressions slated for later this year.

The first one is a Tobermory 15 year old, bottled at 92.6 proof. It’s expected release date in the U.S. is July and will retail for about $120. It will be nice to see how the flavor has developed when compared to the current 10 year old, which this 15 year old replaces.

The second one is a revised Deanston 12 year old, which will also be bottled at the higher 92.6 proof. It will be released in September and will cost about $55.

In the interim, you can still buy the existing Tobermory 10 year old and Deanston 12 year old.

No changes are planned for Ledaig or Bunnahabhain, the other Burn Stewart malts.

7 Responses to “New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies”

1. Kurt says:

$120 for a 15 year old single malt at 46.3% ABV from Tobermory? Is this a mis-print or the shape of things to come?

I’m told it comes in a wooden box which adds to the cost, but I am afraid this is the way things are going to be–especially with the weak dollar.

3. Arve says:

They can’t really have the standard expression costing £60? They must be planning a younger edition, maybe a NAS, too. Otherwise they’re ruining the brand, at Park Avenue Liquor the 10yo costs a mere $35 (£23.50 at RMW).

Hopefully the new Deanston will be better than the departing edition, which borders on vile in my book.

4. Dave Gregoire says:

Hi John,

Have you heard anything about the (potential?) availability of the Ledaig 15 year old expression? I haven’t been able to find a bottle for at least the last 5 years. While it wasn’t my favorite, I remember it having a finish that was cool, almost mint like, and unlike any other peated single malt that I have explored.

I was given a bottle for my 50th birthday, and I doled it out in such small drams that my friends have coined the term “ledaiging” when I don’t have a heavy enough hand with my other malts!

As always, keep up the great work,
    Dave Gregoire

I asked about a 15 yr. Ledaig and they told me that they were sticking with the 10 yr. for now. My guess is that it’s a limited production and it all goes to the 10 yr.

6. [...] Tobermory, der dieses Jahr auf den US-Markt kommen und anscheinend den zehnj?hrigen ersetzen soll: New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies. Zur Erinnerung: Tobermory stammt von der Isle of Mull aus der Tobermory Destillery, die neben dem [...]

7. John Johnson says:

I know the Tobermory 15 is available in MN , I just pick up a bottle and lets just say things are looking up for tobermory