New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies

May 19th, 2008

I was speaking with my friend who imports Burn Stewart whiskies into the U.S., and he told me about two new expressions slated for later this year.

The first one is a Tobermory 15 year old, bottled at 92.6 proof. It’s expected release date in the U.S. is July and will retail for about $120. It will be nice to see how the flavor has developed when compared to the current 10 year old, which this 15 year old replaces.

The second one is a revised Deanston 12 year old, which will also be bottled at the higher 92.6 proof. It will be released in September and will cost about $55.

In the interim, you can still buy the existing Tobermory 10 year old and Deanston 12 year old.

No changes are planned for Ledaig or Bunnahabhain, the other Burn Stewart malts.

Did you receive this copy of the Whisky Advocate Blog from a friend? Sign up today and we'll send the next edition directly to you.

Are you a Whisky Advocate? Become a subscriber to the magazine that loves whisky as much as you do. Take advantage of this special offer. A Free issue and a Free gift!

7 Responses to “New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies”

1. Kurt says:

$120 for a 15 year old single malt at 46.3% ABV from Tobermory? Is this a mis-print or the shape of things to come?

I’m told it comes in a wooden box which adds to the cost, but I am afraid this is the way things are going to be–especially with the weak dollar.

3. Arve says:

They can’t really have the standard expression costing £60? They must be planning a younger edition, maybe a NAS, too. Otherwise they’re ruining the brand, at Park Avenue Liquor the 10yo costs a mere $35 (£23.50 at RMW).

Hopefully the new Deanston will be better than the departing edition, which borders on vile in my book.

4. Dave Gregoire says:

Hi John,

Have you heard anything about the (potential?) availability of the Ledaig 15 year old expression? I haven’t been able to find a bottle for at least the last 5 years. While it wasn’t my favorite, I remember it having a finish that was cool, almost mint like, and unlike any other peated single malt that I have explored.

I was given a bottle for my 50th birthday, and I doled it out in such small drams that my friends have coined the term “ledaiging” when I don’t have a heavy enough hand with my other malts!

As always, keep up the great work,
    Dave Gregoire

I asked about a 15 yr. Ledaig and they told me that they were sticking with the 10 yr. for now. My guess is that it’s a limited production and it all goes to the 10 yr.

6. […] Tobermory, der dieses Jahr auf den US-Markt kommen und anscheinend den zehnj?hrigen ersetzen soll: New Tobermory, Deanston whiskies. Zur Erinnerung: Tobermory stammt von der Isle of Mull aus der Tobermory Destillery, die neben dem […]

7. John Johnson says:

I know the Tobermory 15 is available in MN , I just pick up a bottle and lets just say things are looking up for tobermory

© Copyright 2015. Whisky Advocate. All rights reserved.