Some very, very big Macallan news!

June 17th, 2008

The Macallan and Malt Advocate magazine (creators of WhiskyFest) have teamed up for an unbelievable experience at WhiskyFest San Francisco this October 10th.

Current and past Master Distillers and Managing Directors will each create one unique bottle of Macallan. The contents inside each bottling will be offered one dram at a time to lucky attendees who provide a donation to charity.

Current Master Distiller Bob Dalgarno, past Master Distillers Frank Newlands and Sandy Curle, along with former Managing Director Willie Phillips all will be participating. They will each use their talents to create one bottle of Macallan whisky to their liking and specification. Each will be bottle #1 of only 1, never to be reproduced or replicated ever again.

As Ken Grier, Marketing Director for Macallan described, “This is like Led Zeppelin reforming for one concert. We have never done anything like this before.”

Details are still being worked out, but one thing is for certain: you will want to find a way to get to San Francisco on October 10th for Malt Advocate magazine’s Second Annual WhiskyFest San Francisco. (Go to Malt Advocate magazine’s website, www.maltadvocate.com for more information.)

And there’s one other benefit to attending WhiskyFest San Francisco. Given that it’s only our second event in San Francisco, there will be fewer attendees than WhiskyFest New York or WhiskyFest Chicago. You will have more elbow room. And, of course, there will still be the same amount of great whiskies to sample, as you have come to expect at a Whiskyfest.

9 Responses to “Some very, very big Macallan news!”

A very nice gesture, and one not totally unexpected from a distillery of Macallan’s stature. Makes me wish I could make San Francisco! Thanks, guys!

Sam, we hatched the idea back in April when I visited the distillery. We were, of course, drinking Macallan whisky at the time for inspiration.

3. Kevin says:

One more incredible reason I will be at WhiskeyFest. Last year was amazing and its looking like this year will be even better. I can’t wait.

4. Matt says:

What I really like about this concept is it’s inclusive nature.

You could auction off the bottles, which would certainly generate a lot of money, at the expense of limiting the audience that would have the opportunity to ever try the whisky.

Instead, the envisioned arrangement will both rake in proceeds for charity, while allowing those who’d like to give, but happen to have smaller wallets, to sample from these one of a kind bottles.

Really, really good going.

We want to let as many people as possible have a crack at tasting something incredibly rare. And for a good cause, too!

6. Patrick Cu says:

Will there be a specific amount one would have to donate in order to participate? Also, does anyone know the charity all the money is going to?

I’d like to go to Whiskyfest. If I do, I’d definitely like to take part in this. Just curious about the details.

Patrick, Details are still being worked out and will be posted up on our website.

8. MikeyMad says:

I will be attending WhiskyFest (again) in SF, and I am a very big Macallan Fan. I will be looking forward to the details on this sampling…. and I hope that it is for a great cause.

Cheers,

9. […] the past Macallan Distillery Managers and Managing Directors for each one of them to create a unique bottle of Macallan to be tasted at WhiskyFest San Francisco for a small charitable […]