Ardmore 25 yr. old, Travel Retail, Yum!

November 18th, 2008

At WhiskyFest New York last week, a friend at the Ardmore table let me have a wee dram of an Ardmore 25 year old whisky that will be available at Travel Retail (formerly Duty Free), but not the U.S. He pulled out a small dram from his own private stash.

I really liked it!

It was at a higher strength (above 50%) and had a good dose of peat smoke combining with the oak and other Ardmore flavors. I didn’t take notes on it. All I remember was how good it was!

So, for all of you who ask me what to bring back when traveling overseas, here’s one to buy.

6 Responses to “Ardmore 25 yr. old, Travel Retail, Yum!”

1. kallaskander says:

Hi John,

interesting. Do they have two horses at the race?

Ya know, I thought he told me 21 year old, but I might be mistaken. He poured the whisky from a bottle that was well-concealed underneath his table. I never got to see the label.

3. lawschooldrunk says:

John, how does this ardmore, or any for that matter, compare to the peated benriachs?

The standard “Ardmore Traditional Cask” tastes younger (and greener) than the Benriach releases. I have not tasted them side-by-side, but my feeling is that this new Travel Retail bottling is comparable in quality to the best older pleated Benriachs. I liked it that much.

5. Al says:

John,
    The Ardmore I sampled you with at WhiskeyFest NY was the 25y/o Ardmore that we released into GTR at the Cannes TFWA event a few weeks ago.
    As you said, not for the US market – although there is another vintage release due shortly for the US market only…..
    Slainthe
    Alistair Longwell (Ardmore Distillery)

Thanks Alistair. I made the correction to my original blog to reflect this.