What happened to Michael Jackson’s whisky samples?

March 19th, 2009

This is just a random thought here. Nothing more than that.  It came to me  the other night when I was strolling through my whiskies looking for something to drink (after I already had a couple of drams).

I have a lot of whisky samples, but surely nothing like Michael had. I remember Michael showing me his samples many years ago. After his unfortunate passing, I wonder what ever became of all of them? I’m sure people would have paid just to walk through the room with all his samples and look at them all. No doubt there were some interesting gems in there, dating back many years.

The good news is that I’m seeing some of them surface for charitable causes. I was told some were at Whisky Live in London which were sold for charity. And I recently read that Berry Brothers and Rudd released a bottling which contained some of his samples. This is all good news, because I would have hated to see such a treasure just fade away.

Another random thought here: they could have put it all on display somewhere. Maybe we should have a whisky museum somewhere, with a special area dedicated to Michael Jackson? I visited the Country Music Hall of Fame once, and they had a section dedicated to Hank Williams. Surely Michael deserves the same?

Your thoughts?

8 Responses to “What happened to Michael Jackson’s whisky samples?”

1. MrTH says:

Geez, John. I don’t know what happened to my samples.

2. Davin de Kergommeaux says:

John,

I saw some of Michael Jackson’s collection on auction at Whisky Live in London. Proceeds to Parkinson’s if I remember. There were some rare beauties there. I also had the very good fortune to taste the vatting Berry Bros. had made of his samples. It contained whisky from many different countries and was a smashing success. Very rich and creamy. Tasted like a premium vatted malt. The label has MJ’s picture on it. Why not see if you can get a scan and post it? As cool as your book cover!

Davin

3. Marc says:

John,

Knowing what I know about Mr. Jackson, he probably took them with him!

God rest his soul.

I just chatted with Paddy, Michael’s partner for many years. She told me that all of Michael’s whiskies went to the two above activities (charity auction and blended whisky bottling). All of his literary stuff went to Oxford Brookes University. So, that about does it.

5. kallaskander says:

Hi John,

a possible answer to that one.

Berry Bros & Rudd release a Michael Jackson whisky

Written by Carol Emmas
    Thursday, 19 March 2009

Berry Bros and Rudd have released a new limited edition whisky which has been created in honour of one of the industry’s most respected professionals – Michael Jackson.

The writer and journalist, Jackson who died in 2007, wrote several influential books about beer and whisky.

His book the Malt Whisky Companion reviewed a large number whiskys and gave them a scoring from one to 100.

According to Jackson – only those with a score above 75 were ever worth publishing.

Berry Bros & Rudd spirits manager Doug McIvor and Whisky Magazine decided to honour his memory by creating a one-off, limited edition whisky in his name, with a label designed by Jackson’s brother-in-law.

A unique blend was made using the opened bottles from Jackson’s extensive collection of tasting samples, creating what McIvor terms as a whisky, “of great distinction.”

Berry Bros & Rudd say the brand is a, “rare, exquisite blend with aromas of apples, custard cream and orange peel with lurking spice and delicate whiffs of smoke.

With a smooth and round nose-feel, the palate is succulent and balanced with some toffee, sherry notes an juicy oak.

A kick of spice bursts through to stimulate the end palate revealing a long, complex and mellow finale.”

A proportion of the proceeds will go to the Parkinson Society.

Available from Berry Bros & Rudd priced £69.95 http://www.bbr.com

6. kallaskander says:

Hi John,

I did not tast it but found this.

The blend has been made using opened bottles from Jackson’s extensive collection of tasting samples.

It is described as having aromas of apple, custard cream and orange peel, with a palate of toffee, sherry and a kick of spice.

Thanks Kallaskander. I wonder if the whisky is as good as the individual components that went into the whisky? Would be nice if we knew what actually went into the mix.