New Laphroaig 25 yr. old and Ardmore 30 yr. old

April 1st, 2009

Beam Global Spirits and Wines just announced today that they will be introducing a new Laphroaig 25 year old and Ardmore 30 year old to the U.S. market in early April. You’ll find the details below, which I took from the press release. This has to be the oldest Ardmore distillery bottling ever. I’ll be getting review samples in the next week or two and will let you know my thoughts.

Laphroaig® 25 Year Old (2008) – Laphroaig 25 Year Old makes its U.S. debut revealing the remarkable result 25 years of aging in the finest Oloroso Sherry and American Oak casks has on the world’s most distinctive malt. The whisky is a rare combination of bold peat flavor spiced with sweet sherry notes and rich oaky undertones. Creamy, smooth, full of character and complexity, the marriage of woods intertwines to form a perfectly balanced unity. Bottled in 2008 at cask strength (51.2% ABV), Laphroaig 25 Year Old brilliantly fuses two different styles into a single, remarkable experience. Suggested retail price: $499.99.

Ardmore® 30 Year Old – Masterfully crafted from the only Highland distillery that has consistently peated its barley since its inception, Ardmore weaves bold smoky flavor notes historically associated only with Islay malts into the rich Highland malt experience. Aged in former bourbon barrels and handmade quarter casks, Ardmore 30 Year Old bears the same name and pedigree as its predecessor, but reveals a distinctive finish and rich, complex flavor all of its own. Only 1,428 bottles, each individually numbered, are available. Suggested retail price: $449.99.

16 Responses to “New Laphroaig 25 yr. old and Ardmore 30 yr. old”

1. Jeff Devine says:

I love the though of 25 yr. old Laphroiag but $499? Granted this is retail but I only payed $300 for my Laphroaig 30, I can’t imagine the 25 coming down to that price point.

2. Håvard Eide says:

Laphroaig is also replacing the 15yo with a 18yo, and the pricing in the UK doesn’t look too bad either: http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/?p=763

It’s cool that that 25 yo Laphroaig is cask strength. Still, at that price it had be a whole lot better than the 30 yo, which was pretty awesome.

4. Sounds like the 18yo will hit the USA in June and retail might be around the century mark.

5. Ken Young says:

That 25yr Laphroaig sounds delicious. Shame I have only tried as old as 15, and 10 used to be my favorite until I tried the 7 yr.

I’m really looking forward to trying it.

7. Andre says:

“Older whiskies are becoming more scarce, and the prices are beginning to reflect this”

Well..I am confused..at the same time (a few days ago) a very similar 25 yo Laphroaig has been pu on the market for about 200 british pounds (around $ 300). Are old whiskies less rare in the UK ??

8. Rich says:

wow… $500 suggested retail for the Laphraoig 25? sounds like a brilliant bottle, but i can still get a Laphroaig 30 up the street for $160…

9. patrick says:

For information, the Ardmore is available in some European countries for a least 1 month and a few bottles of the Laphroaig 25 Cask Strength have started to show up.
    However, I have some problems with Lahproaig pricing strategy.
    According to some sources, the 18 YO laphroaig to be bottled at 48% will be app. £50. For 7 exta years of maturation, it is difficult to justify the price difference. If it is 5 times better, maybe, but I have my doubts.
    Concerning the Ardmore, I would not mind tasting it :-) but I am not ready to buy it, although I enjoy the old Ardmore very much. Ardmore is getting more difficult on the market as IB, but again, $500 for an Ardmore, the price tag is very hefty and the packaging not so sexy…

10. smsmmns says:

Yes, Rich. And buy me one, please!

I came home from vacation last night and there was a review sample of the new Laphroaig 25 waiting for me. Review to follow very soon (along with a comparison to the 30 yr. old).

12. Rich says:

that’s a nice little welcome home. i look forward to your impressions of the 25…