Update on Wasmund’s Single Malt Whisky

April 15th, 2009

I had the opportunity to try one of the most recent Wasmund’s Single Malt Whisky from the Copper Fox Distillery in Virginia and was impressed by how improved the whisky was compared to the earlier releases. If you haven’t tried the Wasmund’s recently, you might want to if you have the opportunity.

I spoke with Rick Wasmund, Master Distiller, and he also explained a new concept he is introducing: the Wasmund’s Distillers Art series. Basically, he is selling two different pure spirits (unaged). One is single malt spirit; the other is a rye spirit (2/3 Rye, 1/3 Barley). The spirit is being sold at 62% ABV!

Then, they are also selling 2 liter barrels which you can buy and age the spirit in it until you are ready to drink it. (Of course, you can always drink the spirit without aging it too! I tried both spirits and they tasted pretty good.)

Rick also told me that he’s aging a rye whiskey for release later on this year to compliment his flagship single malt release. So, interesting stuff coming from the Copper Fox distillery these days.

6 Responses to “Update on Wasmund’s Single Malt Whisky”

1. Sku says:

C&C Shine does something similar to this with their Monterey Rye Spirit. You can either buy a small barrel or piece of oak to put in the bottle. I’ve never had it so can’t comment on the quality.

2. tom says:

I think there is a big difference between wasmund and c and c . Basically, what c and c shine makes is just that shine. Grain, and sugar no malt whatsoever. Huge difference. So their rye is not a true rye. More like a rye flavored rum.

3. Cullen Couch says:

I love the Wasmund’s single malt whisky. I have a couple of casks at home now aging as well, and a bottle or two in my bar to take up the slack. Wasmund’s is a singular spirit with a rich, smooth, fresh taste all its own. And Rick is a great promoter of his whisky. Stay tuned. Wasmund’s rocks!

4. Rob W. says:

I can’t say enough about Copper Fox’s Distillers Art Series. I bought a five liter barrel about two months ago and have been aging the single malt spirit. In just that short amount of time the spirit has become smoother and more complex. The color is already dark gold thanks in part to the small bag of toasted apple and cherrywood that Sean included. Of course, I liked the spirit straight out of the bottle so I know I am going to love it when I decide it’s ready. It’s a great hobby and yesterday I got my new barrel to try the rye spirit. I hope the word gets out about this great product.

5. Chris A. says:

I hate to be in the minority, but I found the Wasmund Single Malt simply undrinkable. It got to the point that the glass would be half whisky and half water–no way to enjoy a single malt! Now the bottle is sitting at the back of the shelf in the pantry waiting for the next visit from the inlaws!

6. MB says:

I’d have to go with Chris A. on this one. I like a lot of whisk(e)y with idiosyncrasies, but this was definitely undrinkable. This is by far the worst whiskey I’ve ever had. For the record, I had a bottle from batch 17, aged 4 months.