I trust you

May 18th, 2009

Until this week, all blog comments had to be approved by me before showing up on WDJK. Many bloggers set it up this way for two reasons:

1. To keep any spam from being posted up. Every so often, one sneaks through.
  2. To make sure no one crosses the line and says something offensive.

The downside to this is that there’s often a delay between when you send your comment and when it actually gets posted up, depending on what I’m doing at the time. I have a Blackberry with me all the time, so these delays usually aren’t very long. But still, I’m sure you would rather see your comment post up right away.

So, I changed the settings over the weekend. If it’s your first time posting a comment, I still need to approve it before it shows up. However, any comments by you after that will automatically be posted up. I’ll be sent a copy of your comment after the fact, with the option to delete it, spam it, etc.

I let you speak your mind freely here, and I’m sure you’ve all been enjoying the lively discussions. People reading this blog are intelligent, passionate whisky enthusiasts. Let’s keep it going–the right way.

And if you’re just lurking and haven’t contributed anything (my blog stats tell me that there are thousands of you doing this every day), please feel free to join in on the discussions. There are no wrong answers here.

24 Responses to “I trust you”

1. Kevin says:

I think this is a great change – it will definitely allow for more conversation.

I noticed that my last couple of comments came up instantly, and there’s a certain satisfaction there, for sure. The established-blogger advantage is kind of a screening device in itself, especially since abuse will probably put violators in WDJK? purgatory for eternity.

Thanks for the increased level of confidence in our abilities and interest in your blog. It’s quite compelling, and one that I check multiple times per day.

3. Joe M says:

John, you’ve really created something special by bringing together this community of interest. Looking forward to some lively discussions.

It’s actually quite refreshing to see your comments post up immediately. And it also keeps me from having to mess around with my Blackberry when I’m on the road, so it will free up my time too.

Thanks for the kind words.

5. Louis says:

Is there some way to determine how may drams were consumed prior to posting? :)

6. Jon W says:

I think this is a good move, John. Screening first time posters should be more than sufficient.

Louis – were you thinking of something along the lines of the breathalyzer test that is required to start some cars? There’s certainly been a few instances where I wish I had one of those before posting something on the internet!

7. Josh Kolchins says:

Thanks for trusting us, John. : )

Have you or any of the bloggers found out any more about that curious note I (and all the other Friends of Laphroaig) got about the changes to the 10 yr old expression?

- Josh

8. Todd says:

This seems entirely reasonable, and suggests that you get very few posts that cross the line between appropriate and inappropriate.

9. Adam H. says:

- – - – - – - FrEE WhIsKeY!! – - – - – - -
    ~ ~ ~ ENLARGE YOUR WHISKY COLLECTION!!! ~ ~ ~
    ~~~~ Hot, rare bottles are waiting for you! ~~~~

Contact Binny’s, The Whisky Exchange, or your favorite retailer to have ALL YOUR FANTASIES COME TRUE!!!!

Sorry, had to make the mandatory joke.

10. B.J. Reed says:

Ah, both risk and reward all on one web blog!

Thanks John

11. Lew Bryson says:

Nice. Wish Blogger had the same kind of option for comment clearing. I’d love to do one-and-done approvals. The speed of posting definitely will help ‘conversation.’

12. Chris says:

Thanks John. This is one of my favorite blogs to read when I need to think about whisky instead of work and I’ve grown to really appreciate the dialogue.

13. Louis says:

Jon W, That is exactly what I had in mind. But I think sometimes it’s better to post ATFER a dram or two. Now we have to come up with a device to tell which is the case.

Adam H.: you are a very funny man!

I think this a nice gesture John, but do coments still have to be moderated in some way or other? I just posted one to another thread and it didn’t show up immediately– it’s being moderated.

Red, yep, I had to approve that one. Not sure why. Did you change your email address? Maybe it didn’t recognize you. It should work now.

I haven’t changed my email adress, but I am at a work computer which is operating through some kind of metaframe system. Maybe that’s the reason. Oh well… no worries

18. Sam S. says:

Adam, that was great.
    John, any recent thoughts regarding a forum?

Sam, that’s a possibility in the future. Maybe a 2010 initiative. Thanks for suggesting it though.

20. Tim F says:

Well done for promoting free speech, John. It’s great you don’t get the idiots that ruin things for others.

Hopefully the one-and-done thing will work out here. Normally I’d consider doing the same for my blog, but as luck would have it I got a quite offensive comment on my blog today. I decided to publish it so that I coud respond and show that I won’t put up with this sort of thing. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

21. John, you’ve not only given us more freedom but more responsibility, too. Terrific.

22. Marc says:

Thanks, John. Keep up the good work. I love the blog.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.