What’s your Memorial Day weekend whisk(e)y?

May 23rd, 2009

We’re in the middle of a holiday weekend here in the U.S. What whisky are you drinking? (If you’re not getting this posting until after the holiday, then what whisky did you drink?)

I’m at the beach for the weekend with the family, so I poured me a nice coastal-tasting Clynelish last night.

27 Responses to “What’s your Memorial Day weekend whisk(e)y?”

1. I’m sure Port Askaig 17 will work its way into the mix at some point this weekend, but tonight with the our BBQ, I want something with a real kick. I’m going with George T Stagg 2008 (142 proof).

Jeff

2. Armin says:

It’s also the late May bank holiday weekend here in the UK.

I’ll be drinking various Islay malts: Bruichladdich Octomore Futures, Laphroaig 18yo, possibly also a Bruichladdich PC7.

3. Whisky Party says:

Just picked up the Islay Collection gift pack, so I may be tasting those bottles this weekend (Port Ellen 7th Release, Caol Ila 12 and 18, Lagavulin 12 and 16).

But otherwise I’ve been eyeing my bottle of Springbank 10 as a likely contender for a nice cookout.

4. bgulien says:

In Holland we have a long holiday weekend as well and I am, at the moment, making a dent in a bottle of Bladnoch Beltie Label 16 yo. Maybe later one or two drams of Bruichladdich Blacker Still. So no smoke and peat this evening.

5. Jeff says:

I hope to spend some time with a Brora 22 yo this weekend.

6. Neil Fusillo says:

Interestingly, at the moment, I’m drinking something I just picked up today as a lark — Georgia Peach flavoured whiskey (Leopold Brothers). It goes exceedingly well with these bbq ribs.

However, when not gorging myself on meat, I’m liable to have a nice, quiet Bunnahabhain 12 to pass the evening. Light enough to be nice on a warm night, but with a hint of sea and smoke to keep the darkness at bay.

7. Tim McCann says:

I have a young Bruichladdich I’m hoping to try this weekend. If the temps climb back into the 80′s I’ll be sticking with bourbon, likely WT Rare Breed, 1792 or something from the BT Antique collection.

8. Louis says:

Last night it was the BenRiach 15 year old PX and rum cask finishes, and today I finally opened (and finished) the Knappogue Castle 1993 miniature from Whiskyfest a few years ago.

9. Alas, I ended up leaving the GT Stagg on the shelf (sorry George). With all of the chatter about Feis Ile, I decided to go Islay with a little PA 17, Caol Ila, and Ardbeg comparison. Vive la peat!

10. Max the Bear says:

I’ll be drinking Rittenhouse Rye, bottled in Bond.

11. smsmmns says:

It could be because I attended a Sikh wedding this weekend, but I absolutely loved a flurry of JW Blacks. And when I whipped out a Balvenie 21 for the bar at party number three (long weekend indeed) it vanished in 12 minutes.

Yup, India is taking to malt like baldness is taking to my head.

12. Jon W says:

Mostly bourbon for me this weekend. In particular Blanton’s which I picked up on Friday after work on a whim, and George T. Stagg 2007 release. Blanton’s is always great, and the Stagg is one that I am revisiting after having pushed it to the back of the bar for a while because I couldn’t get into it. I’m enjoying it more than I remember (could the time sitting 3/4 full have mellowed it a bit?). I can’t wait to get to the 2008 release (must finish 2007 first).

I also cracked open my Ardbeg Renaissance. It had been sitting on my shelf for several months and I couldn’t hold out any longer.

13. tom says:

I happened on a dusty bottle of Lot 40 in a store yesterday. Never had it, always wanted to. Great stuff.

14. High temp here today: 62 (F). Laphroaig 15 in front of the fireplace tonight. Laphroaig 10 as the last aspen log breaks into embers.

Slainte to all, especially our Vets.

15. Euan McPhee says:

My family and I joined our friends on the coast for a Spring-bank Holiday, tasting 42 and a half Springbanks over 4 days, including OBs; the LE Millennial set (25,30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 yr), the dumpy 25 and 30 yo, 1966 Local Barley cask 482, vintage 1962 29 yo, 1979 15 yo, two 21 yos (btd in 1995 (light) and 1999, darker), 12/100 light-dark US release, 12 yo 43% black ceramic crock, mid-1990s bourbon casked 15 yo, the new euro 10 yo (purchased last month in Zurich), and the 1997 cask strength bottlings from Binnys and Park Ave; the stand-out IBs included the 1965 Blackadder 29 yo, two OMC 1965s released in 1999, an OMC 1967 33 yo (41.4%) and a 34 yo (43.4%), a 1967 Hart Bros (40.9%), a German release 1966 (Lateltin Lanz, 47.1%, dark sherry), the 1968 Berry Bros and Rudd, the 1968, 1969 and 1971 Whiskyfair releases, a euro 1969 sample (cask 55, btd 2003, 47.6%), 1969 Signatory 26 yo, 52%, the 1970 Adelphi 33 yo 54.4%, 1970 Signatory 53.1% 36 yo, a 1974 Chieftains 28 yo, a 1978 Cadenhead, three recent releases from The Whisky Exchange (1989, 1989, 1993), and a number of samples of 7-10 yo expressions released throughout Europe. The 1/2 Springbank was 30 yo Moidart, a vatted malt with high Springbank content.

We also tasted a good number of expressions from Ardbeg (7 expressions), Clynelish, Brora, Port Charlotte, Caol Ila, Glen Grant, 7 Lagavulins, Tomatin, Fettercairn, Bruichladdich, Port Ellen, Rosebank, 7 expressions of Laphroiag, Bowmore, Ardmore.

16. MrTH says:

I worked this weekend! Did manage to crack two recent SMWS purchases, 25.45 and 26.58. (Rosebank and Clynelish, for those of you without cheat sheets.)

17. Tim D says:

Mmmm… it’s been good so far:
    Lagavulin Distiller’s
    Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Laphroiag ~6 Yr (Signatory)
    Laphroaig 10 yr
    Caol Ila 12 yr
    Longrow 10 yr/100proof
    Longrow CV
    Yamazaki 12 (so nice!)
    Blair Athol 12 yr, Flora & Fauna (from TWE)

All in moderation, of course! Happy holidays

Yesterday it was Wild Turkey and club soda on ice in the 80 degree sun at really nice party. Today is my birthday, and I haven’t decided yet. Maybe a pre-Pro Gibson’s or Large Monongahela rye from the basement stash!

19. Josh Kolchins says:

For one of the ultimate American holidays, I think I’ll definitely have an Elijah Craig 12 year or maybe two!

I just got a bottle from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of a single cask 15-year old Caol Isla so that might make an appearance too.

20. MrTH says:

Off today, and a lovely sunny day, so, in keeping with the “drink American” idea, I had a nice cool pear brandy by Clear Creek out on the back deck. Mr McCarthy does make good stuff. Followed later with ryes from Tuthilltown and Old Potrero.

21. Monique at the Dell says:

Just left the Glengyle/Kilkerran festival and was happy to enjoy a 5 yo finished in Port with my BBQ last night.

22. Rich says:

i found myself working on my Glenmorangie 25 Quarter Century (particularly difficult work, mind you…), partly to celebrate the arrival of warmer weather with a lighter dram, and partly because it’s one of two bottles closest to cashing. (the other is my Springbank 21, as i mentioned in the Springbank 18 discussion.)

i sense that a party is imminent… ;)

23. Jpact says:

My folks made a spur-of-the-moment visit from out of state this weekend, so Dad and I went at it for 3 nights:

The Ileach Single Malt
    Glenmorangie Traditional Cask
    George Dickel No. 12
    Chevis Regal 12
    Tullamore Dew
    Ancient Ancient Age 10
    Stagg 2008
    Old Charter 10
    Ten High
    Yamakazi 12

By the way, anybody know who is distilling the Ileach? It is D’Islaycious!

24. Kept it simple with some of my favorites:
    Bruichladdich Blacker Still
    Balvenie 21 Portwood
    Lagavulin 16

25. Greg says:

Had a family gathering on Monday and of course enjoyed some fine drinks. Started with Manhattans made with Blood Orange bitters. Moved on later in the afternoon to 1980 Old Grand Dad 114, 1984 Old Overholt and Old Forester Repeal all the while smoking some fine stogies.