Dave Broom joins Malt Advocate

June 19th, 2009

Dave Broom is my friend and someone I respect very much professionally. Based on your comments recently here on WDJK, you feel the same way.

I’m thrilled to announce that he will be writing for Malt Advocate in the future. His first feature on Japanese whisky will debut in our next issue, due out September 1st. I just read it, You’re going to love it.

I have always been proud of the editorial content of Malt Advocate, but there’s always room for improvement. Dave will help us take Malt Advocate to the next level. Welcome aboard Dave!

15 Responses to “Dave Broom joins Malt Advocate”

1. Tim F says:

Congratulations, John – a coup. MA is going from strength to strength. Not to be a suck-up, but more DB is always good news.

Absolutely! More Dave is always better than less Dave.

3. butephoto says:

Great news indeed! MA was already essential reading but even more so now.

4. Bruichladdict says:

Again, just one more reason to subcribe!

The thing about Dave is that not only is he a warm and friendly person, but his writing would stand up in any publication. You haven’t hired a “whisky writer” but rather a damned fine writer.

That’s good news. It’s a promising shift in whisky world global politics to have someone as good as Dave Broom writing regularly for MA.

John, you’ve commented that Dave is one of only a few reviewers who you would feel comfortable working with on a book or other project. Would you ever consider having Dave do any reviews, maybe back to back with yours?

Red, I would consider it, but given that he’s doing reviews for Whisky mag, I don’t think it would work. However, if he would ever stop reviewing whiskies for them, I would consider it.

7. Great news, John…always enjoy reading Dave’s work!

8. Sam S. says:

Should be a great read!

9. B.J. Reed says:

Terrific news – Welcome on board David!

10. B.J. Reed says:

And to Red’s point – I think John’s reviews along with David’s as complimentary or point/counterpoint would be a terrific addition to books out there.

11. Amit says:

Congratulations John!

I typically shy away from public forums such as this one, but upon your urging am going to try and write a bit.

We’ve met once at the 1st Whiskyfest in San Francisco. I’ve been a collector for a few years now and have my own tasting group out here in the Bay Area.

Our most recent tasting was that of the Glenrothes 1972, simply exceptional. For once I did not have words to describe the completeness and balance of a whisky. It was definitely amongst the best whiskies I have ever tasted. Too bad, that was my one and only bottle.

12. Harvey Fry says:

Amit, was your bottle a CGF-096= 32/72-04 or a CGF-119= 32/74-05? there was the 1st
    Great one &, awhile later, after everyone had finished going ga-ga over it, they
    came along with the follow up, which wasn’t
    so bad itself^

i too CHEER the coming of Dave & would like
    to echo echo BJ’s echo of big Red-A’s idea
    of (at least occasionally) having a spot to
    give us a 2nd authoritative opinnion, right
    there alongside John’s.

John, what does Whisky Mag have to do with it= why can’t he be on both teams at the
    same time? also, inasmuch as that’s the format they most often use for individual
    reviews, i’d think Rob A would not only
    understand, but since he often sits in the
    seat below Dave there, would himself cheer your implict acknowledgement of his own
    prowess as a reviewer?

really….ya’ll playing pitty-pat on some
    new things would be a dynamite new feature^

Harvey, we’ll see how it all plays out. Right now, we’re happy to have Dave join us with a feature story. I’m not sure what arrangement he has with WM. That was the point I was trying to make. I don’t have a problem with Dave being more involved with MA, but they might…

As a teaser, I’ll say that I just finished copy editing Dave’s inaugural article for Malt Advocate, a retrospective on Japanese whisky, and it’s a great read!

15. butephoto says:

Good to hear, sam k. Looking forward to it very much!