Rare Jura whisky at WhiskyFest SF

July 13th, 2009

Willie Tait of Isle of Jura single malt scotch is bringing one bottle of a very special whisky to WhiskyFest San Francisco on October 16th.

As many of you know, we have a charity table at WhiskyFest where we feature rare whiskies. To be able to taste a wee dram of the whisky, you must make a small donation to charity.  (This time we have chosen “Meals on wheels” as our charity.)

Well, Willie is bringing something very special. I’ll let him tell you all about it in his own words. (I love Willie’s sense of humor!)

I put a hogshead of Jura down 0n the 23rd Nov 1989, on my daughters 13th birthday.  This was my legacy for my children, as they have already taken all my money.

When you hear people say that they made this particular whisky, as we all know it’s not always true. I was the Manager at Jura at this time and when I thought about laying down a cask, what better if I did actually go and make this Dram.

I started Milling, then Mashing, through for Fermentation and then I did the Distillation, finally filling the new spirit into a fine sherry Hogshead. I am going to draw enough for a bottle from the cask and give it a special label and package.

Will keep you informed on the work in progress.

At this year’s WhiskyFest San Francisco, we have asked six different “Whiskymakers” to create one unique bottle of whisky for charity. In the very near future, I will be telling you about the other five. You will be amazed!

You didn’t need another reason to come to WhiskyFest San Francisco, because it will already be a great event. But now you have an even more compelling reason to attend.

10 Responses to “Rare Jura whisky at WhiskyFest SF”

1. A few of the recent local whisky tasting events I’ve been to have done similar things. I think it’s a great idea, and has been very successful. Most people were happy to support the charities present, and were keen to taste the unique drams offered.

Luke, it’s a “win-win” for sure. I’m curious, which of your local tastings have whiskies where the master blenders or distillery managers create one unique bottle for the event? That’s pretty rare and needs to be promoted. (And thanks for linking to my blog from your site, BTW.)

3. AspiringGent says:

In my case, the charity offerings were not special one-off bottles designed for the tasting, but rather rare and unique bottles donated by private individuals. The Vancouver Writer’s Festival did this this year, as did a tasting put on by a local Vancouver whisky club. I quite like your idea though, so long as whisky makers are able and willing.

AG, Very nice. Sounds like it was a good time. It’s always special when you get to taste rare bottles by private individuals.

5. Bryan C says:

John

I was at SF last year and am considering doing NYC this year instead. Will a similar thing be done there as well?

Bryan, we are focusing these efforts in SF because that’s our youngest whisky festival and we want to generate excitement to increase attendance.

However, if we have any whisky left over, we plan on bringing to NYC, like we did with the Macallan Whiskymaker’s Editions last year.

7. Aye Willie says:

John
    Sorry any left over, then we are drinking it.Whats this any left over.

Aye
    Willie
    PS come on people it’s your only chance to have a dram made by me and for my poor children.
    PPS They don’t no i am giving it away yet.

I am truly sorry I can’t get to the west coast, because Willie is definitely the kind of guy I’d want to go drinking with! I’ll bet that’s a kick-ass bottle of Jura he’s hauling to the event!

9. [...] wrote about the first two whiskies from Jura here and Dalmore here. I am pleased to announce that we have two new unique whiskies: one from Balvenie, [...]

10. john says:

It is great to see the human part of the the whisky industry. Great to support charitable efforts!

congrats to all!