Which distilleries offer cask sales?

July 22nd, 2009

My previous post on Glenglassaugh offering sales of their whisky by the cask has me thinking. What are the other distilleries that sell their whisky by the cask?

I’m not limiting this to Scotch whisky. Please post up information about any distillery selling their whisky by the cask, regardless of where they are. And if you can provide a link to their website that mentions the offer, all the better.  Distilleries can chime in here too. Let’s share the information with everyone.

Thanks!

26 Responses to “Which distilleries offer cask sales?”

1. Rick Duff says:

Good article at: http://www.scotlandwhisky.com/about/874668/
    Lists:
    Bruichladdich
    Isle of Arran
    Kilchoman
    Tullibardine
    Glengoyne

In the US:
    Jack Daniels
    Woodford Reserve – but you have to purchase 2 of them at a time.
    I know the bourbon enthusiasts purchased a Buffalo Trace barrel some time ago.
    (http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com)

Would love to hear more.. or people that would like to go in on some…

Thanks Rick. Anyone have any additions or updates to this list?

3. David G says:

Didn’t y’all do a story on this topic last year?

4. David G says:

On another note, I found this:

We did a Malt Advocate feature a couple years back on cask sales, but things have changed since then. I think it’s worth revisiting for those interested.

Buffalo Trace advertised barrel sales of Blanton’s a few years back. Don’t know if they still offer that option or not…

7. bgulien says:

Bladnoch offer 2 yo cask participation.
    1/10th share or of course the whole cask.

8. bgulien says:

Glencoyne offers cask to private individuals as well.
    I had a talk recently with Raymond Armstrong from Bladnoch.
    He buys casks from the big boys, like Diageo etc. and offers them bottled on his website. Had some wonderful bottles from him.
    Caol Ila cask, Invergordon Grain whisky cask, Port Ellen, Glen Grant etc. He knows the way how to acquire a cask if you want one.
    I myself own a tenth share in a Bruichladdich cask, maturing in a Buffalo Trace cask.
    1 year already gone, 9 to go.

9. Paul M says:

As a member of a group that recently became cask owners, I recently received an e mail from Glengoyne stating that they have a limited number of Pedro Ximinez casks available to be purchased. I don’t think that this offer is in their brochure.

10. Whiskychat says:

They have barrel sales @ Harvest Spirits in New York

-Whiskychat

11. Whisky Party says:

Tuthilltown in New York supposedly allows you to distill your own bourbon batch, but when I inquired about pricing and group rates, I never heard back from their representatives. Poor form.

More details on what they supposedly offer here:

12. Micah says:

Ben Nevis has been one of my favorite distilleries but the currently lack an importer to the US. This (combined with the MA article last year) prompted me to contact the distillery manager. I am now the proud owner of a cask filled last March on the day of my first born’s birth. (John, I plan to send you a picture for consideration on the last page of an upcoming M A issue)

Thanks guys for the updates. Anyone else out there know of other distilleries offering cask sales?

Micah, that’s pretty cool!

14. NW says:

Heaven Hill has a barrel program under the Evan Williams label.

House Spirits in Portland, OR. Has a bespoke whisky program starting.

Buffalo Trace offers numerous labels under their barrel program.

I am pretty sure Jack Daniels just lets you put your name on a cask, I don’t think they actually sell single barrels.

Bruichladdich barrels are no longer available to US buyers.

Duncan Taylor has done some single barrel sales from their NC2 range.

NW, nice additions! Thanks!

16. Armin says:

The article linked in #1 seems outdated, the link to Kilchoman in it just gives a 404. I’m not sure, but Kilchoman might have stopped cask sales, at least there’s nothing listed anywhere on their website I could find.

17. patrick says:

Indeed, Kilchoman stopped the cask offer more than 1 year ago.
    In Japan, Suntory with their “Owner’s Cask” are selling matured cask from several of their distilleries

18. butephoto says:

The newly reopened Glenglassaugh are offering small casks, I believe.

19. butephoto says:

Oops, trust me not to read the blog properly!

No worries butephoto. Thanks for chiming in.

21. Rick Duff says:

NW: any more information on the Evan Williams (Heaven Hill) or Buffalo Trace barrel programs? Thanks!

22. Jonny McCormick says:

Dear John,

Since writing the Malt Advocate Cask Ownership article(Vol 17, #1), we have gained some schemes and lost some in Scotland. A lot of the pleasures and pitfalls of ownership discussed in that article are highly relevant, so I encourage WDJK readers to check their back issues. The newest scheme on this side of the pond other than Glenglassaugh, is the Kingsbarns Distillery near St. Andrews which has still to be built. Bearing in mind the other schemes discussed in Vol 17 #1, the Kingsbarns Distillery are offering 100L Foundation casks for £1200 with an anticipated 4-6 year maturity (See http://www.cambosnowdrops.com/Snowdrops/PDF%20Files/Foundation%20BarrelOrderForm.pdf for the terms and conditions and see http://www.camboestate.com/KINGSBARNS-WHISKY.aspx for details on the distillery). There are no specific details of delivery terms for North America.

Jonny McCormick

23. [...] Hansell posts about some of his experiences with buying a Bushmills Millenium cask and then asks the community where purchasing casks is an [...]

24. do you know who is buying Calif used wine barrels
    for the whiskey industry we need a contact in the uk
    can you help