Tullamore Dew Single Malt Irish Whiskey debuts

August 12th, 2009

I first wrote about this here back in November. It’s now official. Only 400 cases coming to the U.S. in 2009, though, with more on the way for 2010.

Full press release follows.

TULLAMORE DEW IRISH WHISKEY® ANNOUNCES NEW
TULLAMORE DEW 10-YEAR-OLD SINGLE MALT

Legendary Irish Whiskey
Debuts Its First Single-Malt Expression

DUBLIN, IRELAND — Tullamore Dew®, the distinctively smooth, legendary Irish whiskey, is proud to announce the addition of Tullamore Dew 10-Year-Old Single Malt, the first single malt Irish whiskey in the brand’s 180 year history.

An exceptional addition to Tullamore Dew’s award winning Irish whiskey portfolio (the traditional blend, 10-Year-Old, & 12-Year-Old), the new Tullamore Dew10-Year-Old Single Malt bottling is double-distilled and patiently aged for balance and smoothness.  Medium deep amber gold in color, it displays intense fruity notes with spice and complexity.  The distinctively rich flavor comes from carefully monitored maturation in Old Bourbon, Dry Oloroso Sherry, Madiera and Port casks.  Wonderfully rich on the palate with a fruity and gentle finish of nutty, sherry notes, every sip evokes its pure Irish character.

A special bottling of only 400 cases will be available in the US for the remainder of 2009, making this a must have for any Single-Malt aficionado.  Tullamore Dew 10-Year-Old Single Malt will be available nationally in 2010.  SRP is $39.99.

I requested a review sample.

13 Responses to “Tullamore Dew Single Malt Irish Whiskey debuts”

1. patrick says:

awesome! drop me a line when the sample comes in and i’ll stop by! ;)

2. Great to see this finally come to fruition. Was wondering for a while whether they would do this at all since they pushed out the release date and only the 10yo blend was released earlier in the year. Good to see that The Tullamore Brand is growing up. I presume it is only 40% but would be great to see a 46% offering from Tullamore.

3. John M says:

Triple distilled, which means Bushmills… Look forward to trying it.

John

Yeah, that’s interesting JohnM. I would have suspected Cooley. Let me see what I can find out. And if anyone else knows, chime in.

IWC, yes this is an interesting move for the brand. I wonder why they chose to make a single malt rather than a pure pot still? Maybe Pernod wouldn’t let them have any PPS so as not to compete with Redbreast?

5. John M says:

John

I’m pretty sure IDL wouldn’t give them a pure pot still, but you’d never know. They say they have very low stocks, because everything is going into Jameson.

I expected this to be a non-peated Cooley.

I wonder is the triple-distilled thing a slight mistake from the marketing department?

John

John M, yeah, I’m also wondering if the “triple distilled” statement is a mistake. I thought for sure this would be coming from Cooley. I queried the PR company and am awaiting a response.

I got the answer on the while “triple-distilled” thing. Here’s the response I received from the PR company:

We recently sent you a press release on the launch of the new Tullamore Dew 10-Year-Old Single Malt in the US. In that release it was erroneously stated that the product is “triple distilled.” That is not the case. Like most other Single Malts, our product is “double distilled.”

So, that would imply Cooley, as we suspected. I really don’t care where it comes from, as long as it tastes good. And some of those “finished” whiskeys from Cooley have been great.

8. JohnM says:

That’s what I thought it would be. I look forward to trying it… I suspect it will be a tweaked version of the Tyrconnells, which are pretty good, in my opinion.

John

Yeah, and Barry Walsh (ex IDL master blender) is formulating the bottlings. That’s a good thing. Still haven’t tasted it yet though, but look forward to it.

I was sent a revised press release which now indicates double distillation, not triple. I amended my original posting to reflect the updated release.

11. Chef says:

I tried 2 single malt – 12 years and a 16 years and then I tried a bottle of another 10 years old single malt straight from the cask. Then I tried a bottle of Tullamore 10years single malt. I have finished with all four bottles and decided that I personally liked the Tullamore Dew the most. I pair this with spicy lamb dishes.

12. Pure Pot Head says:

Interesting. A lot of Irish Single Malts seem to be coming out of Cooleys in differnet guises. I can’t help feel it’s a bit of a jump on the bandwagon thing. Would have prefered to see them produce a Pure Pot Still and reflect something with a particularly Irish heritage. Can’t understand why Cooley don’t give it a go at least. They have Pot Stills. Perhaps a Single Malt gaurantees initial sales.

13. [...] first wrote about this new debut here back in August. My formal review [...]