Glen Garioch: New bottle design, new whiskies

September 2nd, 2009

The press release I received (below) reveals some new whiskies they will be introducing. Have a look (it’s towards the bottom). Updated: and some of the commentors below have also have provided links to the new bottle design, plus I have one here.

Morrison Bowmore Distillers has today launched its Glen Garioch Single Malt Whisky, with packaging and designs by Edinburgh-based Nevis.

The unveiling marks a new chapter of whisky making at one of Scotland’s oldest distilleries.

The launch celebrates the distillery’s long standing tradition of craftsmanship – taking the skills and experience cultured over the last 200 years to create a boutique range of whiskies.

The new packaging designed by the agency is a reflection of the tradition and boutique nature of Glen Garioch and the distillery. Tactile, highly crafted elements have been used throughout, resulting in a hand-made, quality look and feel.

Featuring Highland and distillery imagery from the founding year, the packaging aims to be informative and true to its heritage. The side of the outer package also features an iconic tartan design – a respectful nod to the tartans that have historically been created in this Aberdeenshire area.

The team at Nevis has been working on this project for the last 18 months.
David Huckell, design director at Nevis, said:  “Each and every element of the design has been crafted by skilled individuals, Charles Stuart world renowned typographer who has worked on Brands from The BBC to Sainsbury’s, worked with us to create a hand-made bespoke font. Coupled with the slick brush marks from Iain McIntosh the result really does rejuvenate the look and strengthens the hand-made tactile nature of the Glen Garioch brand.”

Nevis has held a relationship with Morrison Bowmore Distillers for three years.

The Glen Garioch brand is the “crowing glory” of Morrison Bowmore’s portfolio.

Leading with the 1797 Founders Reserve at the heart of the range, Glen Garioch will periodically release hand select individual casks at the peak of their perfection, aiming to demonstrate the quality and breadth of the Glen Garioch spirit. Launched as ‘Single Batch Releases’, this year will see Glen Garioch 1990 Vintage and the Glen Garioch 1978 Vintage will join the 1797 Founders Reserve.

13 Responses to “Glen Garioch: New bottle design, new whiskies”

1. hologram buffalo says:

looks like nevis is showing it off on their homepage..

2. Mags says:

We got to taste the Founders Reserve this past Saturday at the Auchentoshan whisky festival – loved the taste, but am still trying to get my head (nose?!) around the aroma :)

[My blog post on the festival, if you’re interested to find out more about it.]

Hologram, thanks for the link. (BTW, your second post link didn’t work, so I deleted it.)

Thanks Mags.

4. hologram buffalo says:

cheers, yeah I was trying to link to a screenshot of the bottle I posted on twitter: http://twitpic.com/g89up

I used to wonder to myself, “Why is Glen Garioch so under exposed?” But then I stopped because I could never come up with a good answer. Which means that the news that Glen Garioch will now be periodically releasing single cask bottlings makes very happy.

It’s also so zoned out how much time this PR note spends focussing on the packaging.

Any word on prices for the new GG releases? The Laphroaig 18 just came in around here and is doing more than 150$.

Red, I don’t have info on pricing yet. When I do, I’ll post it up here. Maybe someone out there lurking knows the answer to this?

7. bobby says:

Cost £26.99 bottled at 48%.
    Great new packaging,no more pinky tartan.
    Smooth with a touch of toffee and shortbread,nice soft spicey edge,yummy very morish.

Bobby, which expression are you referring to? The new 8 yo?

9. bobby says:

Yes the new founders reserve which I believe is a 9 to 10 year old,but I will try again at whisky Live Glasgow and confirm.Good whisky at a great price.

bobby

10. pat says:

excuse my ignorance, but is the old line (both package and whisky) being discontinued, then?
    I quite like the ‘old’ 8 yr and find it a great value.

Pat, it would appear that the old line is a thing of the past. The new line WILL be coming to the U.S. Here’s the information I received:

“We’ll have it into the US market early in 2010, the new range will consist of:

-1797 Founders Reserve
    -12YO

Plus one or possibly two vintage releases. 2010 will see the release of a 1986 vintage, possibly around August. It will (hopefully!) be available in all good single malt specialist outlets. The 12YO doesn’t come of age until early in 2010. All bottlings are going to be higher in strength and the whisky will be non chill filtered. “

I agree pat. The Glen Garioch 8 is a great whisky. Time to stock up.