The worlds largest bottle of whisky

September 10th, 2009

Tomintoul Big BottleAfter all the serious Diageo “Manager’s Choice” talk, I though I would post up something a little less intense. Tomintoul has just bottled the world’s largest whisky bottle, over 100 liters.

It’s filled with 14 year old Tomintoul, bottled at 46%.

There’s even an entire website devoted to it, how it was made, etc., along with many more pictures, right here.

I wonder if they asked Glencairn to make a glass extra large to go with it?

10 Responses to “The worlds largest bottle of whisky”

1. Rick Duff says:

I think I’ll make a 120 litre bottle to get a new world record and fill it exclusively with Manager’s Choice bottles.. to make the rarest vatted malt ever. ;)
    Seriously.. cool bottle!

2. MrTH says:

I’ll bet it costs less than the 9yo Oban.

MrTH,

Excellent! I laughed my ass off!

John, Any idea what will be the fate of this amazing vessel of whisky? On display at the distillery? For sale to the highest bidder for charity?

Just curious. Nice job, Tomintoul, and definitely some positive publicity!

5. Sam S. says:

Mr TH,
    I think I just pissed myself!
    Thanks a lot.

6. Tim Puett says:

To sam k:

I read that it will be on display at the Clockhouse Restaurant, and normal size replicas will be sold at Whisky Castle Tomintoul.

Nice bit to read from the link John provided, and the pictures are good too.

7. Ken says:

Probably a moot point, but if it ever gets drunk the method they used to fill it won’t help with oxidation. Might have thought to purge the large bottle with CO2, nitrogen or argon before pouring. At least purging the head space beneath the cork would have been wise.

I think I’m looking at this way too seriously. But a bottle like that is a lifetime of whisky!

Ken

Ken, good point! One would hope that they would drink this whisky someday. That would be one heck of a party.

9. Roger says:

Dear Ken

May be the percent touching the air is same in normal bottle. May be it makes no difference.

Rog

Of course, we’re all hyper-receptive to the incredible charm of this big silly bottle. Aside from being a truly laughable marketing manoever, it has absolutely nothing in common with the Manager’s Choice Collection.