Kilchoman releases first single malt Islay whisky

September 11th, 2009

KilchomanIslay’s newest distillery, Kilchoman, released their first whisky this week. (Has it really been three years already?) All the details are here on the Islay Blog.

I toured the distillery back in 2007, and the spirit I tasted showed great potential.

Congrats to Kilchoman! I’m looking forward to trying this whisky!

13 Responses to “Kilchoman releases first single malt Islay whisky”

1. Jeff Frane says:

The new spirit was a monster. I’m very curious to see how all that heat and peat has changed.

Anyone know what places will be getting this?

Red, if you follow the link to the Islay blog, they list the first shops that get the whisky. Not sure where it will be going beyond that.

4. Armin says:

Actually, it’s been more than three years. The first reported distillation took place in November 2005 (although they had to take a break soon after due to the fire), making it almost 4 years since they first distilled any spirit.

You’re right Armin. And I remember that fire, too.

6. brooke says:

i have tried the new spirit, i hope the finished product is softer. what was the fire? did the whisky burn?

7. Armin says:

No, the whisky didn’t burn. They had a fire in the kiln in early 2006, if you google for “kilchoman fire damage” you should find a picture of it quite quickly (the damage, not the fire).

8. Duncan Ross says:

First batch all sold out in 2 days priced at £44.99 is a reasonable start.

9. […] John Hansell announces the official release of Kilchoman’s first official single malt. […]

10. Tim F says:

Tried this last Friday and it’s excellent. It’d a bit different to the preview sample I tasted on the blog:

– my sample was cask strength and at the time had been sherry-finished for four months rather than six. At the reduced strength of 46% the Inaugural Release is unbelievably easy to drink for a three year-old spirit and the aromas and flavours are delicious.

Thanks Tim.

I asked them for a review sample. No response…sometimes living here in the U.S. is SUCH a disadvantage.

12. Tim F says:

No worries, John – I didn’t get a review sample of the Inaugural Release itself either: I only got to taste it because a fellow blogger was at the release ceremony on Islay and came back with a miniature.

Having said that, the cask strength preview was considerably better than nothing, so I’m certainly not complaining :).

In Kilchoman’s defence I will say that it is a tiny operation and hopefully you will get a sample before the US release.

13. Rob says:

A strong hit of the sea and it’s not all salt I heard. I think I would like this.