Here are the new 2009 “Classic Malts” limited edition whiskies

September 30th, 2009

I have the official list from Diageo regarding the upcoming 2009 single malt scotch releases for the U.S . Here it is:

•Talisker 25-Year-Old (SRP $199.99)
•Brora 30-Year-Old (SRP $399.99)
•Caol Ila Unpeated 10-Year-Old (SRP $59.99)
•Lagavulin 12-Year-Old (SRP $74.99)
•Port Ellen 30-Year Old (SRP $369.99)
•Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve (SRP $209.99)
•Talisker The Distillers Edition (SRP $79.99)
•Oban The Distillers Edition (SRP $99.99)
•Lagavulin The Distillers Edition (SRP $109.99)
•Caol Ila The Distillers Edition (SRP $79.99)
•Dalwhinnie The Distillers Edition (SRP $74.99)

It’s great to see Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve, which has been absent in the U.S. market for some time now. (Maybe I can finally open up and drink the bottle that I have “bunkered” for the past decade?)

Also, check out the unpeated Caol Ila! I’ve tasted samples of the unpeated Caol Ila when I was at the distillery two years ago and even have a bottle that was sold over there, but not in the U.S. It’s nice to see one coming over here to the States.

21 Responses to “Here are the new 2009 “Classic Malts” limited edition whiskies”

1. Roy says:

Wow, those prices are incredible. Guess I won’t be able to taste any of those. I buy one bottle a week. Usually whatever is on sale, my limit is $50.00

Just tried Black Bottle Scotch, very mellow and smooth. Only thing I didn’t like was the peat flavor. I haven’t not developed the taste for it.

take care

2. Tony says:

I’d love to get my hands on the Talisker 25 year old.

3. Paul M says:

Any idea if we’ll see any more of the Talisker 18 y/o?

4. Alex says:

Roy, those prices are not bad. Not even close to the crazy single barrel prices. A 30 yo from a closed distillery is not going to be cheap. Un-peated Caol Ila, yes please.

5. *rubs eyes* Did I read that right? Lagavulin 12yr coming to the U.S.?!

6. Wow – excited to try unpeated Caol Ila.

And a Port Ellen 30? A little pricey, but yummy.

7. Awesome. I’m pretty stoked on the unpeated Caol Ila. And the price is right too. I suspect the Port Ellen won’t last too long

8. Quentin says:

I agree, that price for the Talisker 25 year old is actually pretty reasonable. I will save my pennies for that one!

9. DavidG says:

I was hoping we would get the Distiller’s Edition of Clynelish – I picked up the bottle at a Duty Free but would like another. Maybe next year.
    Does anyone know if the non-Distiller’s Editions are at cask strength / unchill-filtered / uncolored?

10. Sam S. says:

John,
    I opened a bottle of Royal Lochnagar Selected Reserve to celebrate the sale of my house after 14 months on the market–two mortgages tends to stress one out.
    This was last summer.
    It’s the smoothest scotch I’ve ever had.

Just be careful with the cork when opening.
    Mine broke, and I’ve heard stories that I’m not alone.
    Open it and enjoy!

11. Sean says:

John, do you know how many of each are going to make it over here? Thank you

Sean, I’m not sure how many bottles are coming over. I’ll try to find out.

Sam S., yes, I would imagine the cork is getting pretty dried out by now. I’ll be careful when I open it.

David G., the non-DE special releases are usually cask strength, so I would assume the same. I’ll try to get more particulars on ABV.

Yes, the unpeated Caol Ila should be fun to taste.

I always felt that Talisker 18 was one of the best values out there. Maybe that’s about to change?

13. Amit says:

John,

It’s great that the Lagavulin 12 is coming back. Steve Beal did tell me that earlier in the year, but I believe it now. It’s probably one of my favorite whiskies (assuming that it’s the cask strength) and it goes really well with a Monti #2.

Amit.

14. B.J. Reed says:

Got my first bottle of Royal Lochnagar Select Reserve for $70 – Those were the days!

Some tempting choices here…

Yes B.J., those WERE the days. Now 12 year old whiskies are going for that price.

16. William Meyers says:

I’m glad to see such a good selection coming to the US. The unpeated Caol Ila I’ve had is 8 years old & wonderful at cask strength. I too am a big fan of Royal Lochnagar – perhaps the 12 will also return.

Bill, it would be nice to see Royal Lochnagar back permanently, wouldn’t it? Even if just the 12 y/o.

18. Bill H. says:

Wasn’t it announced that we’d be getting Lagavulin 12 last year? Did anyone ever see it? New York didn’t as far as I can tell. I had to get mine from the UK.

19. Garry says:

I am looking forward to the Talisker offerings.I have tried alot of different Single Malts the past two years but keep coming back to Talisker.I usually “open” them with a very small amount of spring water but I drink the big T neat.I get at least 5 flavors….very good

20. [...] are the whiskies. They arrived while I was gone. They’re samples of the most recent Diageo special release single malts. They look very tempting, don’t [...]