Diageo’s Special Release whiskies for 2009

October 12th, 2009

I first wrote about some of them them here. Today, I received the formal press release. The link is here. It includes pictures, tasting notes, etc.

Looks like a great list, including three 30 year old gems (Talisker, Brora, and Port Ellen).

8 Responses to “Diageo’s Special Release whiskies for 2009”

1. bgulien says:

Priced a whole lot better then the Managers Choice.
    And for me they appear to be whiskies I like.
    Especially the Lagavulin 12 yo looks to be affordable top quality whisky, if the 2008 (almost empty) 12 yo Special Release is anything to go by.
    And the others, I must say, almost market prices.
    Can’s say anything wrong about this batch.

2. butephoto says:

The Lag 12 from last year was my favourite bottling that I bought in 2008. Really looking forward to it this year as it will probably be the only one I’ll be buying. Good to see it’s not gone up too much and is still pretty afordable.

3. gal says:

the Lag 12 is very high on my wish list. also the CI 10.
    the only affordable malts for me among those excellent 30 year olds which cost an arma an a leg. i know age costs.

4. Patrick says:

The Mannochmore and the Pittyvaic are fairly priced too.
    I am suprised that the Press Release was just send out now, since my retailer received them already last week

Patrick, that was strange. Better late than never, though…

I’m looking forward to trying these.

6. Bruce M says:

John,

In your previous post the US list did not include the Benrinnes 23yr. How would I go about obtaining a bottle in the US?

Bruce, The generic answer is: you can’t, unless you know someone going overseas. Having said this, maybe you can reach out to one of the specialty retailers overseas (check http://www.maltadvocate.com for a listing)and maybe one of them can find a way to ship you a bottle?

8. Sean says:

Bruce, The Whisky Exchange and Royal Mile Whiskies both ship tpo the US though it is expensive (and I will not comment on the legality of it).