After a weekend full of bourbon, three things: scotch, beer, and…

October 26th, 2009

The flu!! I somehow picked this up during my weekend with the Heaven Hill folks.

084Here’s the scotch. They arrived while I was gone. They’re samples of the most recent Diageo special release single malts. They look very tempting, don’t they?

086And here are the beers, which also showed up. They’re from Midnight Sun brewery in Alaska. One of my side jobs is that I review beer for America’s largest beer magazine, All About Beer.

So, for the next few days, these fine beverage are going to have to sit there and collect dust. I’m not sure who gave it (the flu) to me or what kind it is, but it sucks!

Still, I have fond memories of my weekend with the Heaven Hill folks, putting a nice dent into their inventory, and that will get me through this.

And don’t worry, I’ll still be blogging. I was going to take the next two days off and go fishing, but now it looks like it’s just me, my laptop, and the TV. (Maybe even a book!) Plus, I reviewed several whiskies (and whiskeys) last week which are in the queue here.

12 Responses to “After a weekend full of bourbon, three things: scotch, beer, and…”

1. David says:

Random Question, how do you clense your palate when tasting many different whiskies in one night?

David, this topic (tasting) was already covered here. Click on the link and have a look.

3. DavidG says:

First off, feel better. I hate to point it out, but I think you got short-changed. It appears they sent you 8 bottles, but there were 11 new releases.

David G., the story of my life: one day and three whiskies short… :)

5. But is one of the eight the Port Ellen that I’ve read is already sold out? I’d give up three for that one.

Shake the flu quickly!

6. Joe M says:

John, I do hope you feel better soon. I know a lot of people who have the flu right now.

Have you tried a hot toddy to get you through? Try varying amounts of honey and lemon in different whiskies. Might make for a good blog post once you’re all better.

7. patrick says:

It is a pity that they don’t sell such kits to the public. I would not mind buying one of these flu kit :-)
    The Mannochmore seems very tempting. The Port Ellen was excellent.
    Enjoy and let us know what you think.

Patrick, yes I think it would be better than Tamaflu. Speaking of Tamaflu, I can’t get any. All the drugs stores here are sold out. I can’t fill my prescription, which sucks! That means more whisky, I guess. And maybe a hot toddy, as suggested by Joe.

9. Lew Bryson says:

Wish I could get some of that Midnight Sun stuff. Saw some in Blacksburg, VA once, never again. I gotta go to Alaska…

Lew, I tried both of the beers in the picture (coffee porter and imperial IPA) and they’re both really good!

11. John,

How goes the flu?

Have you had an opportunity to try the special releases, yet?

Two-bit, I’m recovering, and drinking, but waiting a few more days before reviewing anything new. I will probably post up a few reviews I did the week before I got the flu (but the special releases are still on deck.)