Macallan ups the ante. Who’s got $90,000?

January 8th, 2010

I turn 50 in June, so I suppose I could also title this blog “What to buy me for my birthday.” (Not that it would do any good.)

I found out from Luxist.com that Harrods is selling what’s called the Macallan Linley Whisky Case. (Click on the picture for a larger view.) To quote Harrods:

The Macallan is one of the world’s most awarded and admired Single Malts. This peerless reputation has been built on the commitment of The Macallan’s craftsmen.

Macallan commissioned renowned craftsman Viscount Linley to produce this exquisite whisky cabinet. Unique in every way, this is the only one in existence, was produced solely for Harrods and contains six bottles of vintage Macallan malt whisky from 1937, 1940, 1948, 1955, 1966 and 1970.

It is handcrafted from English Burr Oak and also includes six bespoke Linley crystal tumblers as well as a cigar humidor. This is pure luxury. Antique dealers will be dying to get their hands on this in the future making this the perfect investment.

You can find the link to the Harrods site  here, if you want to buy it for me form my birthday and lay it away until June. I promise to share the whisky with you. I’ll even buy the cigars.

30 Responses to “Macallan ups the ante. Who’s got $90,000?”

1. bgulien says:

Maybe we can have a whiparound….

bgulien: Okay, I’m afraid to ask, but…what’s a whiparound?

3. bgulien says:

It looks like a beautiful made piece of furniture, so it will certainly find it’s way into one of the luxury yachts of a Russian “entrepreneur” I guess.

4. bgulien says:

John, when someone is leaving the company, or a special occasion you whip around the rest of the people to solicit cash.
    ” To whip around the money bag” like in church.

5. brian mac gregor says:

Jon you just love to keep teaseing us with such luxury items.

6. TheGentleman says:

I disagree…this looks like something I made in 7th grade shop class. That’s some serious juice, but the case looks kind of janky.

7. bgulien says:

John, if you follow the link to the Harrods site, you select the number of cases you want and then go to checkout.
    I ordered 3 of them for a total of 165.000 GBP.
    Anyone want one?
    Nothing exclusive about it then!

bgulien, a “whiparound” works for me. And when the money bag gets to $90k, I’ll invite everyone over, we’ll have a big party and drink all the whisky.

“This is pure luxury”– I think the Macallan proofreaders edited this line to make it more concise. When I saw the initial press release on Whisky Intelligence, it read:

“This is pure empty, arrogant, infantile, self-regard.”

;)

10. Mark says:

Red, yes — sure would taste good, though…

Anybody know how much just the bottles would cost?

11. JWC says:

i’m also curious about the cost of the bottles alone, i.e., what is the premium that has been added for the cost of the case and glasses. i have a feeling that getting the info would make me complain less about usa bourbon distilleries and their premium packaging.

JWC man, the idea of “the premium that has been added for the cost” of any element of this product simply does not apply. They set the price of this on the basis of who they thought they were selling it to, not how much any part of the contents cost to produce.

13. Louis says:

Hey, at least you get six bottles. I’m just wondering though, would doing a flight of the whole collection be considered a vertical or horizontal ?

Slainte.

Louis

14. bgulien says:

A more serious matter, see here:

The roof of some 20 warehouses have fallen in due to snow.
    I have volunteered myself to repair it all, during the coming year.
    ;-)

15. Steffen Bräuner says:

Macdeffe

16. JAZZ LOVER says:

JWC,I believe the MAC 70’s are 6,500.
    each,and I see two.I could be wrong.
    I could build a replica of this and
    put 12 fantastic bottles in it and
    have the same amount of JOY!

17. Sam S. says:

John,
    I hope you choose a central location for your birthday tasting since it’s a haul to get to the coast from AZ.
    Very kind of you to offer.

18. butephoto says:

These have been on sale for quite a while now, I seem to recall. Obviously not too many takers…

19. jazz lover says:

Correction,6 bottles.Would help to
    read first.Sorry..

20. Brian Bradley says:

This need to cash in on the whisky boom gets ever more gross.

How much to get my own still and license here in the US? I am betting I can make my own legally for something not too much higher then those numbers…

21. jazz lover says:

Lol,Brian thats too funny.

22. Paul M says:

And yet another reason to keep playing the lottery!

23. JWC says:

the reason i was asking was diaego did that super expensive jw blue (special decanter if i recall) for what i believe was essentially the same jw blue and they couldn’t sell the stuff. as for harrod’s, i see wealthy arabs and russians with more money than sense but in this economy, even they may reject it.

i agree – i could hire a good carpenter and have him build a case like that if i wanted to and, IF (that is a mighty big “if” folks) i wanted to spend 90K on scotch, get more bottles.

however, the resale value of the case and glasses is no where near the initial price of what they would be asking for. at the end, the value of the scotch will be what determines the “investment” value of what harrod’s is trying to do.

24. Sam S. says:

Brian,
    That may be the case, but you’d have to wait patiently for a while.

25. Todd says:

And I thought that people who spend $90,000 on a car were silly bastards. This really does up the ante. Wouldn’t mind tasting the malt though, of course.

26. I have never appreciated a whiskey that sells over $700 (The Glenlivet 1969 Cellar Collection) & although I though the whisky as great, I would never pay that much for that Scotch. I can’t even begin to imagine what a Scotch from a collection that costs $90,000 tastes like.

27. Del Sneddon says:

I’m sure the whisky is sublime. But at $90,000, there’s too much poverty and suffering in this world to even consider buying it without it leaving a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

28. […] If you’ve got $90,000 to spare and love the Macallan, maybe consider treating yourself to this. […]

29. “If I had 90000 to spend on whisky this is probably the way to get least for my money

Macdeffe”

Right on, man!

30. MrTH says:

Tumblers? TUMBLERS?!? Well, that just screams more money than taste, doesn’t it? “Bartender, a ’46 Macallan on the rocks, my good man.”