The new blog design is up. Tell me about the glitches.

January 19th, 2010

I’ll go over all the changes and enhancements with you soon. Right now I just want to know about the problems.

If you see that something isn’t working correctly, post up a comment here and we’ll look into it.

Thank you!

36 Responses to “The new blog design is up. Tell me about the glitches.”

1. Ben Horne says:

John,
    The new design looks nice. I especially like not having to deal with two scroll bars That was always a battle on my netbook.

However, the links to the pictures seem to be currently broken (only within posts).

2. JWC says:

john, on the mainpage (maltadvocate.com), i get “Error Retrieving Recent Blog Posts” message on the top left corner of the screen.

also, the indention of the graphics is off on the right side of the main page. there is also a lot of blank space on the right side – definitely uneven with the left. for what it’s worth, i have a 24″ widescreen monitor that i’m looking at.

3. Brian says:

Aside from the error JWC mentioned, I don’t see anything wrong from my point of view. But I’m not using a netbook or a 24″ monitor. I’m just average.

4. Whisky Party says:

Looks great!

I don’t see this post in my blog reader. Did the RSS Feed URL change?

M

5. Brian says:

Ok, scratch that. I see the scroll bars that BEN mentioned. When I link to the blog from the MaltAdvocate main page, the blog is inside a left/right up/down scroll box. Display size doesn’t seem to be the cause.

This is an update from my tech guy:

1. The loading slowing comment is probably due to caching. We will add caching to the template code, so common elements with pull from the user’s local cache which should increase the load speed significantly.

2. The image load issue is related to some hard coded links within the WordPress database. We are updating these links presently and this will be resolved soon.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

7. Guillermo Llaguno says:

Hello everyone,

John, If the banners on the site are linked to another webpage, these links are not working, it just leads to the top of the page… Just an observation in case you need the publicity links.

Good work on the new website!

8. butephoto says:

John, good to see the forum on its own domain name at last and a bit wider than before. An initial thought – the name of the poster and time and date all being the same size and colour isn’t so easy to scan. I would prefer a different colour and possibly bigger font size for the name of the poster in each comment, as before. It makes it easier to scan and see who is commenting. Also there’s nothing differentiating between the name of a poster who has a link in their name and those who don’t.

9. MrTH says:

The names are all uppercase, so I’m MRTH instead of MrTH. And I see we’re back to the double scrollers…hope that’s temporary. I’ve always hated those.

I’d prefer to see more topics per page, so that topics will hang around on the top page a little longer.

10. I have left comments on other threads that don’t show up, but when I try to leave another, it says it is a duplicate. (example: Find a great whisky deal? Let us in on it.)
    Thanks,

Agree with MrTH about getting back more postings per page. Otherwise, a nice look.

12. brian bradley says:

Would it be possible for alternating posts to have a slightly different background color? An example would be how your replys have a slightly different shade of background color in the comments section.

This would help eyes see where one story starts and one ends and would lower the ammount of scan time.

13. Mr Manhattan says:

Where’d the tweets go?

Michael

Brian@12 I second that. The current design is a little visually fatiguing.

I just want to let everyone know that we’re working on implementing all your comments. Thanks for the feedback and please be patient. We hope to have everything reasolved by the end of the day.

16. Louis says:

How about an optional location field along with the name.

17. MrTH says:

Yay, the second scroll bar is gone!

I notice that threads with more than 50 comments begin numbering at 1 again on each new page.

18. Texas says:

Might have already been mentioned, but the latest blog posts on maltadvocate.com don’t match what is actually on http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com

19. bgulien says:

Hi John, great change. Didn’t see it in the RSS feed, so I got over here and pleasantly surprised.

20. B.J. Reed says:

Looks good, mine was the need for sidebar that shows most current comments – that helps get to things faster in my view

21. Jean-Luc says:

Hi John

The new blog template is working well. Its clear and visually not over-complicated, a good honest design which suits the content. Typographically it a lot easier to scan.

Good work.

22. Mr Manhattan says:

Ugh! I find it really hard to follow discussions when the comments are displayed as they are now: last added displayed first.

Is there as way to set a preference so the comments displayed oldest (first added) to newest (last added), as they were on the old site?

Michael

23. Mr Manhattan says:

P.S. The site is also very slow today…and pages are not loading for me (OSX/Firefox).

Michael

24. bgulien says:

Much better, so now it’s 8:20 PM, time to taste my newly arrived Lagavulin 12 CS 2009 bottling.