The next two days in New York: cool stuff. And when I return, more cool stuff.

January 25th, 2010

There are things I like in my job, and there are things I don’t. The next two days are the former.

During the next two days, I’m having lunch with the distillery manager of Glen Grant, which is finally being imported to the U.S. I’ve already tasted their new whiskies, but it will be nice to meet with him. I am also meeting with the people in charge of Glenrothes, Glen Grant, Suntory Yamazaki, Cutty Sark, Tullamore Dew, Wild Turkey, and more here in the U.S.

I’m also meeting with Dr. Bill Lumsden, the genius behind Glenmorangie and Ardbeg. And I’ll be having lunch with the brand managers for The Macallan and Highland Park.

And in between all that, I am planning on enjoying a cigar with a very well known cigar enthusiast.

Then, on Wednesday, I a plan on tasting more “not yet released, and previously released” Maker’s Mark bourbons with Kevin Smith, Maker’s Mark’s Distillery Manager.

Stay tuned…

16 Responses to “The next two days in New York: cool stuff. And when I return, more cool stuff.”

1. gal says:

u lead a good life man.
    wow.

Very nice indeed, John. Can’t imagine what unenjoyable aspects of a job would outweigh benefits like those. Also Cutty Sark, that’s interesting considring that they barely ever put out anything new– wonder what you’ll talk about with them.

3. Guillermo Llaguno says:

A life like yours will lead you to more than 100 years old! pure pleasure, meeting nice people, drinking good stuff to decrease the cholesterol levels, etc.

4. B.J. Reed says:

braggart!!!! :)

5. Ernest says:

Looks to be a great trip John. Is Dr Bill giving any public talks at a bar or liquor store while in the City? I know he’s up at Julio’s in MA on Thursday. Will you be setting a date for a dba event while in town as well?

6. PeterD says:

Dr. Bill’s doing a tasting tomorrow night (Tuesday) at Keen’s Chophouse in Manhattan at their annual Burns Night. He was up in Boston at Federal Wines and Spirits last Thursday but I wasn’t able to stay in town that long.

Last year at Keen’s Burns night, Paul Pacult did a Highland Park tasting with 12 through 40 YO. I suspect Dr. Bill’s going to be focusing more on Glenmorangie’s offerings that Ardbeg’s, but I’m still hoping for some Supernova! John, if you’re up for some cigar company lemme know! I’m going for a cigar tomorrow afternoon at the Cigar Inn, in all probability.

• Ernest says:

Peter:
      Thanks for the information.

• MrTH says:

I just today received an email from Joe Howell at Federal in Boston informing me that Dr Lumsden will be there this Thursday, 28 Jan, with pourings at 5:00 and 6:00pm. To be tasted: Original, LaSanta, Nectar D’ Or, Quinta Rubin, Sonnalta PX, Extremely Rare 18 Y.O., Astar, and Signet, with special prices available for bottles of same. Wish I could go. Joe is a righteous dude.

Email: joe@federalwine.com
      Phone: 617-367-8605

7. What a wonderfully diverse collection of distilleries. Looking forward to more information on Glen Grant and The Glenrothes after your meetings.

8. Brian Bradley (brian47126) says:

There are things you do that make me envious, and there are things you do that don’t. the next two days are the former.

Good show, Sir.

9. Alex says:

Nice indeed John! I’m off to the National Arts Club for a Burn’s night celebration on Thursday, yes the day after, but with Ricky Crawford from Glenlivet in attendance with some bottles – very excited.

When is Glen Grant hitting our shores?

Guys, I have the details on the Glen Grant whiskies up on my new posting. Have a look.

11. JWC says:

it’s not bad being you john =)

am looking forward to all the write ups but particularly with the folks from wild turkey – have been drinking more of their products recently and have been impressed. curious what they’ll be doing in 2010.

12. Wanna trade jobs for a bit!

13. lawschooldrunk says:

Will you be meeting Dr. Whisky?

14. Neil Fusillo says:

They sell the Glen Grant 5 at every grocery store in Venice. Got some this past Autumn. Should be nice to compare with the older ones now that it’s hitting the US. The 5 was…. less than spectacular.