Brief updates on Glenrothes, Auchentoshan, Glen Garioch, and Bowmore

January 26th, 2010

These updates for the the U.S. market.

The new Glenrothes 1994 vintage, which is replacing the 1991 vintage, is now getting into distribution. The 1985 vintage will be relpaced  by a 1988 vintage later this year.

The Glen Garioch 8, 15 and 21 year old whiskies are now gone. They’re being replaced by a 1797 Founder’s Reserve (NAS), 46% ( $45), and a 12 year old, 48% ($60). The whisky should roll out in about a month.

And for Bowmore Legend enthusiasts: stock up now! The price is going up.

Finally, I blogged about Auchentoshan beer here back in November. Auchentoshan installed a small brewery just to make beer for a festival at the distillery. Well, the’ll be making beer again at this year’s festival in August. But, the big news is that they plan on installing a full-time operating brewery at the distillery in 2011.

27 Responses to “Brief updates on Glenrothes, Auchentoshan, Glen Garioch, and Bowmore”

Man– does the world have to change like this? I’m a huge Glen Gary 8 enthusiast and I know quite a few Legend lovers.

2. Rick Duff says:

It’s too bad the Glen Garioch 8/10 year old is going away. It was a VERY affordable good dram.
    Usually could be had around here for about $20. Moving their lowest price whisky to over $40 will keep a lot of new Malt Drinkers away I suspect. I love the Glen Garioch products though.. great distillery to visit too!

• Texas says:

No Rick, you obviously aren’t up on things (I say this tongue in cheek if you remember one of our big threads), remember it’s us that’s keeping new Malt Drinker’s away. couldn’t possibly be that they are making almost all single malts almost unaffordable (unjustifiable) to beginners.

3. patrick says:

Red_, I think we both lamented Glen Garioch 8’s demise when first announced. Around Christmas I went to the one store that has always had GG8 for $22 and the shelf was empty! I asked the guys and they said they threw it all in the 25% off bin a week prior. Someone got a good deal.

4. Mitch Gurowitz says:

I see listings for Bowmore Legend Islay and Bowmore Scotch Legend 80@, are these both the same bottle?

5. CAL says:

The 1985 Glenrothes is being replaced by a 1998 vintage, or a 1988?

CAL, nice catch. Yes, I meant 1988. I am at that age where I need to get reading glasses. Time to stop stealing my wife’s and to get my own pair. I updated the post to correct it.

6. Jacob Halbrooks says:

I don’t make that much money, so the way I afford to drink $80 bottles of Scotch is to alternate high-end/low-end each weekend. It’s also fun to try to find the best value in the low-end Scotch, and it “keeps it real” so I better appreciate the more expensive stuff. So this is sad news for me, as GG 8 and Bowmore Legend are staples of the low-end market. I bought both in the last few months for $24. The pool of decent drams for under $30 is dwindling towards non-existence :-(

In the less than 30$ area, of course Tamdhu just got mothballed as well. I wonder how long stocks of the 10yo for that are going to hold out.

8. Great news! I can’t wait for the Auchentoshan’s beer to show up!

9. Mitch Gurowitz says:

I’m very new to Whisky, I’ve been exploring a lot of drams the past few weeks, If there are other bottles that are reasonable, say 30 dollar range that are really worth knowing about, I’m all ears. (I already have a bunch of bottles that cost 75-100, but my funds aren’t unlimited).

• Holysinner says:

As others have lamented in this thread, there are fewer and fewer single malt scotches left in the under-$30 range. I enjoy Tamdhu 10 (malty with some nice spice), though as Red says, who knows how long it will be around. I did enjoy Auchentoshan Select, probably difficult to find now; it’s been replaced by Classic, which I haven’t tried but the reviews haven’t been good. I would recommend Old Pulteney 12 at ~$33, a very nice malt with a seaside character and a hint of sherry.

Of course there are good Irish (Powers, Black Bush at a little over $30), Canadian (Forty Creek), and bourbon (too many to name) options in this price range, too, not to mention scotch blends.

• Mitch — I heartily agree with Holysinner on the Old Putleney.

Others you might consider if you see them at reasonable prices (in the $30s) are Strathisla 12 yo–very nice, Tomatin 12 yo (recent repackaging might bump the price of this one), and The Singleton of Glendullan 12 yo (folks have told me they’ve found this one for $29 in grocery stores).

Enjoy

• Texas says:

McClelland’s Islay Whisky is actually a young Bowmore, maybe a year younger than the Legend and it runs about $25..also McClelland’s Highland is said to be Glen Garioch at about 6-7 years and it is not bad at all for $25. Aberlour 12 Double Matured at $35 is a good deal, and at least where I live Highland Park 12 is $35 as well. Holding my breath that they don’t go up as well.

• Monique at the Dell says:

Two Bit and Holysinner, great picks! I am sad to see the GG 8 go, i love introducing it to new Single Malt fans. Strathisla 12 and the OP, great choices. I also like Glen Moray 12 ($35), and Glenfarclas 12.

10. Robert says:

Wow, more bum news on the whiskey front. The GG going away is going to put a dent in my scotch consumption. Legend has also been a good value. And just the other day I was remembering how I used to get Dalmore for under $30 a bottle. Three favorite budget choices, all replaced with higher-cost options.

11. Gary says:

John I empathize with you on the reading glasses. I had to break down and finally get a pair a few years back. Now I can actually see what I am looking at. :)

12. I will still have to wait for the 50ml bottles of the Legend! Glen Garioch is a Single Malt I have never had and look forward to trying.

13. lawschooldrunk says:

Thank you, Morrison Bowmore (and Japanese owner), for pissing me off.

Oh, Bath & Body Works called. They want their perfume back.

Can anyone say FWP?

14. John —

Did you hear any information on The Glenrothes Alba Reserve?

Thanks

15. Mitch Gurowitz says:

The real question of the day is how can I drink Scotch on the new Apple iPad?

Thanks everyone for the above recommendations, can I assume the bottles you list are enjoyable on their own, or are just a good bargain? (Hopefully both).

Now the personal question that everyone is avoiding, how often do you guys/gals enjoy your Whisky?

16. Patrick says:

The move with Glen Garioch is expected, since Glen Garioch stopped production in the 1990s. One positive move is the increase in strength, from 40 to 46-48% and compared to other brands, they are still fairly priced

17. B.J. Reed says:

I have a little of the 15 YO Glen Garioch from the 1990s one of the first Spey’s that seemed peated to me – It is very good – Will see how the new vintages do but I am optimistic.

18. Neil Fusillo says:

Took me forever to find a Glen Garioch 15 since they didn’t have it in my area. A nice dram. The 8 is all over here, though. I should buy it up while it’s still around (cheap). I’m mixed on the Bowmore Legend. It’s not BAD, but it has a strange, sweet finish that I always find a bit cloying. I should snag some before the price increase, though. It’s a good ‘mild’ Islay scotch for gatherings.

19. I just picked up a bottle of Glen Garioch 8 for $27.99 at my local grocer’s store. They had about half a dozen bottles remaining. I’ll try it this weekend. I hope I find it does nice things to my palate. If it does, I’ll be heading back to the store to draft the remaining stock!

• Red_Arremer says:

So what did you think of it? I love the stuff, but it’s not necessarily for everybody.

• I’ve never had an 8-year-old single malt. I was expecting it to be super-light. I was surprised when it was decently smooth with lots of flavor. I enjoyed this one, and now I’m looking forward to trying other young single malts.