New bourbon: Old Crow Reserve

February 26th, 2010

Here in Eastern Pennsylvania we got a lot of snow. (Again!) I just finished shoveling and snow blowing, and I getting in the mood for a whiskey. But what to start with this evening?

Problem solved! The folks at Beam Global just sent me a review bottle of the brand spanking new Old Crow Reserve, so this whiskey is first up this evening. And soon!

Freddie Noe tells me in a video that it’s four years old (the regular Old Crow is three) and will sell for $10-12, competing with the likes of Evan Williams. In the video, he’s drinking his on the rocks, but I’m going to have mine neat if you don’t mind, Freddie.

Formal review to follow soon. Have a great weekend everyone!

(P.S. Click on the picture of my “unprofessional” photo of the whiskey to get a closer image of it. And click on it again to zoom in even more.)

14 Responses to “New bourbon: Old Crow Reserve”

1. Seth Nadel says:

Seems like there are a lot of inexpensive whiskey coming out. George Dickel just released their Cascade Hollow, which is similar to Jack Daniels Green. It’s nice to see more affordable whiskies hit the market.

Will be interesting to see if this is substantially better than regular Old Crow (it had better be!). If it is, how about you bring it along tomorrow? Dr. Jim certainly deserves to have a reputable product named after him! Thirty years ago, Old Crow was a decent bourbon.

3. Jeff Frane says:

I have a sentimental attachment to Old Crow, but the regular version is pretty sad. It would be a treat to have something better under that label.

My preliminary unofficial thoughts, after tasting it, is that it’s better than the standard Old Crow. But I think it’s really a whiskey meant to be enjoyed on the rocks or in a cocktail. It’s a value whiskey.

4. Thomas Mckenzie says:

I hope that this is a great improvment on regular Old Crow. I am young, but I can remember, it was at least a decent whiskey in the early 90’s. John, is there any difference besides the age, and slightly higher proof? I would hope they at least beefed up the mashbill.

5. JWC says:

eagerly awaiting your review. number of “new” bourbons don’t interest me as much as the QUALITY of the bourbons coming out. a new, inexpensive but SOLID (doesn’t have to be fantastic) bourbon would be greatly welcomed.

6. Seth Nadel says:

I just got a bottle this afternoon. I’m not saying it’s bad for the price, but it’s nothing spectacular. You pretty much get what you pay for, which is ok. Personally, I would mix it in a cocktail. I was told the brand was an alternative to Evan Williams, but I think Evan Williams is a little better. Worth picking up a bottle, but that’s it.

7. Tuc Krueger says:

The band Juniper Tar will never be the same. We only consume Old Crow bourbon so this will show up on our tour down to SXSW. There’s even a crow on the bass drum head. This just hot rods everything! It’ll be like we all traded in our $300 dollar band gear for $400 band gear, but with Old Crow! Can’t wait to taste it, try it with the band!

8. Dave says:

On my third fifth just to be sure and I believe it is the best value for the money. I was a former Evan Williams drinker and certainly had a fondness for Jack Daniels. I participated in an un-official taste test and more often than not, I picked the Old Crow Reserve with Jack Daniels coming in second.At $7.97 a fifth here in Michigan vs Jack at $26.00, I’ll stick with the Old Crow Reserve.

9. celtblood says:

My understanding is that when Jim Beam took over/bought out Old Crow, they made the latter their “cheap” bourbon. Considering the fact that Old Crow was THE original, high-quality bourbon, I always thought that was a poor decision, and a little selfish. Old Crow has a rich history that dates back into the very beginning of fine bourbons, and with something like that to build on, to saddle such a respected and reputable label with a product of far lesser quality was, in my opinion, a real slap in the face to both tradition and bourbon lovers everywhere. At least with the advent of this new Old Crow Reserve, the Beam company has somewhat repented of it’s sin. But I’d still like to see the quality of the standard Old Crow returned to it’s original level, and it’s historical pedigree used in a tasteful marketing effort. I think it could become one of the leading bourbons again, as it should have remained.