Two whisky tastings I’m hosting in March.

March 1st, 2010

I’m hosting two whisky tastings this month. If you’re near Philadelphia or New York,  you might want to check them out.

Both tastings include whisky from my own collection, and both have the theme “Independent Spirit.” I’ll only be using whisky from independent bottlers.

The Monk’s Cafe tasting is sold out, but sometimes people cancel at the last minute. If you want to go, call them the day of the event.

Here are the details:

Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Monks Café | Philadelphia, PA
Single Malt Scotch tasting
215-545-7005

For my Monk’s Cafe tasting, we’ll be tasting eight single malts from eight different distilleries and from eight different independent bottlers. The list is below. The independent bottler is in parenthesis. Most are cask strength and all but two are over 20 years old.

Inverleven, 1991, (Gordon & MacPhail)
Bladnoch, 16 years old, cask strength, (John McDougall’s Selection)
Glenrothes, 35 years old!, cask strength (Lonach)
Imperial, 1979, cask strength, (Mackillop’s Choice)
Glenlivet, 1973, cask strength, (Scott’s Selection)
Bruichladdich, 1986, cask strength, (Blackadder)
Bunnahabhain, 1978, cask strength, (Signatory)
Caol Ila, 1984, (Lombard “Jewels of Scotland”)

Monday, March 22, 2010
“DBA” Bar | New York, NY
Single Malt Scotch tasting
212-475-5097

I still haven’t selected my whiskies for this event yet.

Hopefully, I’ll see you at one of these events (or perhaps at one of our three WhiskyFests this year).

12 Responses to “Two whisky tastings I’m hosting in March.”

Is that Inverleven one of G&M’s single caske 46% bottlings with the a gold stag sticker on it? If so, I think I’ve seen it around. Is it good?

Red, it’s 46%, blue label with the clear gold stagg sticker above the label. Didn’t taste it yet, but will tomorrow at the tasting.

• Red_Arremer says:

I’ll be interested to hear what you think. I like good lowland whisky especially in the teens. There’s just one bottle of the stuff left between alll the stores I know. Can’t get a taste of it, so your opinion could be the deciding factor.

It’s cool your tasting people on stuff you’ve never tried. Basically the opposite of a product rep tasting people on their brand and ready with prefab notes…

2. lawschooldrunk says:

If Mark Gillespie will be there, make sure he gets an interview!

3. Alex says:

Hopefully will see you at DBA.

4. David G says:

Will hopefully see you at DBA, again. Last time you did a blind tasting, which I’d love to do again, and you presented whiskeys we could not purchase – which was a unique opportunity, but frustrating that I couldn’t just go out and buy what I tried and liked….

5. Jon W. says:

I’ll see you at Monk’s tomorrow. The list looks great, as usual. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while!

6. Mark Davis says:

I’m interested in the new york one. how do I register? do I pay a flat fee or pay for what I consume? I look forward to meeting fellow blog readers there.

Call DBA. I haven’t picked a whisky list yet, and I don’t know what they’re charging. You might want to wait a week until the dust settles.

• Mark Davis says:

They said I don’t need to reserve, that they will have enough for everyone. Also they said she expected it to be around $60-65.

If the list is anything like the one in PA I will be thrilled. I’m interested in trying new things that are out of my reach.

7. Bill H. says:

John,

No RSVP necessary for the DBA tasting?

I don’t think you need to reserve. But, you should call them just to be sure.