Four Roses releases new 17 yr. old bourbon to celebrate 100th Anniversary

March 11th, 2010

The Four Roses distillery turns 100, and they are celebrating with a new single barrel, barrel strength, 17 year old bourbon. (Price: $65-85.)

I received a press release (below) and review sample yesterday. I tasted it informally last night and really enjoyed it. My formal review will follow soon.

Four Roses Celebrates Distillery’s 100 Years
with Limited Edition Bourbon

17-year-old single barrel bourbon to be released in limited quantity

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (March 8, 2010) – Four Roses Bourbon is adding another barrel strength single barrel Bourbon to its collection of limited edition releases – this time, commemorating the 100-year anniversary of the opening of the distillery building in Lawrenceburg, Ky.

The Four Roses 100th Anniversary Limited Edition Single Barrel Bourbon will be released in early April just in time for the Kentucky Derby.  Bottled at barrel strength and non-chill filtered, the distillery will produce only about 2,300 bottles to be distributed nationally in markets where Four Roses is currently available.

Chosen from one of Four Roses’ 10 Bourbon recipes, the rare, 17-year-old offering boasts an aroma of brisk cloves and candied fruits while hints of peach and cherry meld seamlessly with creamy, spiced vanilla and oak.

“Every year our goal is to select the most special recipe aged to perfection,” said Jim Rutledge, Master Distiller of Four Roses Bourbon.  “A milestone anniversary deserves a milestone bourbon and we believe this release is one-of-a-kind.”

The Four Roses Distillery, on the banks of the scenic Salt River, is a special find on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail route.  The facility was built in 1910 and features a unique Spanish Mission-Style architecture rarely seen in Kentucky.  The distillery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

A gold etching of the distillery building is featured on the back of the limited edition bottle, adding to its appeal for the Bourbon enthusiast or collector.

23 Responses to “Four Roses releases new 17 yr. old bourbon to celebrate 100th Anniversary”

1. Vince says:

John

This looks interesting. Do you have a feel for the price? It wasnt mentioned in the press release.
    Thanks

Man, all the Mariages all the limited edition Single Barrels that I taste from them– There all so good! Why does Four Roses have to exist? I put enough of a dent in my wallet as it is just with Scotch. How am I going to be able to handle it if bourbon gets to be that consistently good?

3. Whiskeyminis says:

Another one , not available in Europe.
    Can’t get the Marriage and the Jim Rutledge bottle also.
    I thought that Europe was the biggest selling market for Four Roses in the 60-ties and 70-ties and was not sold in the US. They have a lot of fans in Europe which they thank now by selling bottles only to the US. Correct me if i’m wrong.

4. Chris Riesbeck says:

Finally! It’s here! Actually Japan is the largest market in the world for Four Roses as they are now owned by Kirin. They put a tremendous amount of capital into the brand to take it back to Bourbon from its old blended whiskey days! The 2008 Mariage Small Batch could very possibly be my favorite Bourbon of all time.

• Seth Nadel says:

Most people don’t even know it’s owned by kirin. They keep that pretty quiet, actually. Four Roses is one of my favorite bourbons. I don’t care who owns it.

5. Tanguy says:

Thanks to Jim Ruthledge and Kirin Co, Four Roses has been, in my opinion, the most agressive distillery in the last few years. State after State they are recovering a market share that had disapeared over the years when they became part of the Seagram Group. Even the State of Michigan is now selling Four Roses.
    I met someone the other day who said that his Grandfather used to drink Four Roses in the middle 40′s
    Congratulation to them for their clarity and recovery in the USA.
    Power to the people!

6. Gary says:

I have really enjoyed the Four Roses limited releases. I will have to try this as well.

7. tim d says:

Do they give a hint as to which of the 10 recipes this is? Wonder how it compares to the Binny’s and/or Party Souce single-recipe/single-barrel/barrel strength releases? Granted none of those are 17 yrs, so it would be neat to compare them side-by-side..

I’ve got a Party Source OESK bottling that I think is heavenly – easily my favorite Bourbon so far…

8. EMalt says:

Hi BFishback,

Yes, let’s start a Scotch-Bourbon exchange, i’m all for it!

By the way in Holland we’ve now got a stunner of a Rye ourselves; Millstone Dutch Rye, 5y/o, 100% pure potdistilled. Truly beautifull!

Grtz,
    Emalt

• BFishback says:

I seriously wouldn’t mind doing it. Don’t know what scotch I would ask for though, most scotchs we can’t get I’d just order from the internet. You guys need to find a bourbon selling site that will ship internationally.

• Whiskeyminis says:

That would be Binny’s. I already had contact with them. They ship 3 bottles overhere for 120 dollars plus customsrates. I usually buy on ebay but that’s mainly for the collection and those bottles stay closed. But ordering bottles for drinking would become very expensive.
        I hoped that a importer would start importing these bottles but so far i haven’t seen them anywhere here in europe. Jim Rutlegde is comin over for a masterclass on march 27th and i hope he brings along some bottles.
        If a importer considers the selling of these bottles; i also would like to try the whisky from Dry Fly and the Texas whiskey made by the Garrison Brothers. For now my only hope to buy those bottles reasonably priced is the Whiskyexchange in the UK.

9. Louis says:

Four Roses has really elbowed it’s way into the top tier of whiskies, or any type. My OBSO and OBSV are dangerously drinkable, and an incredible bargain at $54.99 each. For the price of one bottle of the last Brora or Port Ellen releaes, you can have an entire shelf of Four Roses, and dram guilt-free.

10. MrTH says:

2,300 bottles! That’s one big barrel. (Yeah, yeah, I know.)

In my extremely limited experience, Four Roses (particularly the single barrel releases) is easily my favorite bourbon. I will look out for this. $65-85 for 17yo single barrel whiskey looks pretty good when you’re used to Scotch prices.

11. smellmyskunk says:

This sounds good. I would really like to see a formal review of this one. I bought a bottle of the cheap Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey last week and was impressed by how good it was for a $25 bottle.

12. DeanSheen says:

I cant wait for this. Four Roses makes a great product and treats the consumer well. I treasure my birthday card signed by Jim almost as much as the private tour I received last year from Al.

I hope to put my hands on at least two of these, the 120th is a favorite of mine. I don’t feel sorry for the EU contingent, we keep the ltd. bourbon, you get the ltd. Scotch. Fair is fair!

13. John says:

I have a very old bottle of 4 Roses. It is in storage, but I think it was bottle in the 20′s? It has never been opened. Do you think it would be good still?