The two new Glen Garioch whiskies coming to the U.S.

March 19th, 2010

I just received samples of these two new Glen Garioch whiskies. They are working their way to the U.S., and I have review samples. I already tasted them informally.

The first one is the 1797 Founder’s Reserve. (Top left.)

The second one is a 12 year old.  Details here on their website. So nice to see them bottled at 48%.

The Founder’s Reserve tastes sweeter, maltier, younger. The 12 year old is deeper, tastes more mature, and shows more oak. Formal review to follow soon. (Low to mid 80s is where I see them coming in, with the 12 year old getting a higher nod).

17 Responses to “The two new Glen Garioch whiskies coming to the U.S.”

The old 8 yo was a great economy pick and the 15 was pretty good as well– But I’m interested to see what they’ve done with these. When you do the freview I’d really appreciate any remarks along the lines of comparing the new with the old.

Red, my first impression is that these new whiskies are sweeter, perhaps more sherried. And there’s the higher ABV too.

For those of you who asked, I don’t have any more samples of the old expressions that age, but I do remember them and am going on memory here. If anyones has an 8 or 15 and wants to send me a sample, I will be happy to compare with the new expressions.

• Red_Arremer says:

Speaking of the old expressions, I just bought a Glen Garioch 16 for 44.24$, which is a few cents less than the new NAS Founder’s Reserve. It’s bottled anonymously as McClelland’s 16 year old Highland Single Malt and it’s 40%. I think that, unlike the OB 15 yo this stuff is still being produced. Personally, I always overooked this whisky and I’ll bet no one here on this blog has tried it.

The question is what would you rather spend 45 bucks on– a 40% 16 yo or a 48% NAS? I’d really like to get a taste of the NAS and do a straight up value for money comparison.

2. Seth Nadel says:

Nice packaging. We haven’t had any 8yr or 15yr in quite some time. I wonder if they were discontinued and these two are replacing them.

• Red_Arremer says:

They were discontinued. John blogged about it. At the same time Bowmore Legend was discontinued. That was a really big moment in the industry’s ongoing culling of good value scotches.

• lawschooldrunk says:

Yeah. goodbye bowmore legend, glen garioch 8yo, and especially dalmore 12 and cigar malt. although, old pultney seems to be holding onto their good pricing in my area.

• John blogged that Bowmore Legend was going to go up in price, not that it would be discontinued. Around here it is still in the mid twenties. Still sucks.

3. Mark Davis says:

I think the silent K in the title should also be invisible ;)

4. Alex says:

Like the 48% abv and hope these are an improvement over the revious offerings for a similar price. I recently had the Deanston non-chillfiltered at the higher strength – shows how a rather dull offering can suddenly pick up some needed character.

5. Louis says:

48% might be the sweet spot. I think that the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and CBW Peat Monster Reserve are excellent at that strength. Looking for ward to this pair. Any word on when they will hit the shelves in the US?

6. lawschooldrunk says:

I concur with mark davis, @3.

John, what do you think tastes better: the old 8yo or the 1797FR?

7. bgulien says:

That’s an old whisky, from 1797 ;-)
    Real vintage year that was

8. John blogged that Bowmore Legend was going to go up in price, not that it would be discontinued. Around here it is still in the mid twenties.

9. Patrrick says:

I have tasted quite recently the new Founders, as well as the old 8, 10 and 15 yo. The new expressions are quite different. The older expressions were very smooth, while the new ones are more intense, with an increased spiciness, probably coming from the use of a higher percentage of first fill casks. The 1978 from the new range is excellent and my personal favorite. I hope to taste the new 12 YO next week.

Patrick, you make some great points. These new expressions are more like “designer” whiskies. I don’t know about the casks in these whiskies, but you’re right that it could be more first-fill casks in the mix. There is more textural intensity in these whiskies.

10. eddie says:

I just got back from my honeymoon in Scotland where I was able to visit the distillery and sample all three of the line up if you will. all three are great. if you are on a budget, you can’t go wrong with the founder’s reserve. the 12 year has a very deep flavor. the 20 year old is, as you would expect, top notch flavor.

We brought back a bottle of the 12 year old and I am already wishing I would have brought back a few more. It is such a smooth flavor and you won’t be let down.