Next week: guest blogging and up-to-date distillery information

March 25th, 2010

As I noted here last Friday, I’m having knee surgery tomorrow, so I won’t be posting tomorrow. Since I’m not sure how I’ll be feeling , I asked B. J. Reed to guest blog for me next week.

Who is B.J. Reed? To quote him: “I’m just a scotch enthusiast from Omaha and part of the group that has been tasting single malts and traveling to Scotland to visit distilleries as part of the Dundee  Dell group since 1998.”

B. J. and the gang know their whisky. In addition to being a regular WDJK contributor, he just returned from Scotland with his group and they toured many distilleries.

So, I thought it would be cool if he could share with us what he (and the group) learned. He’ll have for us each day from Monday-Friday. He’s going to send me the info, and I’ll format it and post it up.

This should be a lot of fun. And who knows? You still might see a post or two from me too during the week as well. Stay tuned!

29 Responses to “Next week: guest blogging and up-to-date distillery information”

1. brian bradley (brian47126) says:

John, good luck with the knee surgery. Hope you are up and about quickly. You need to be on your A-Game in less than a month for Whisky Fest Chicago.

2. Luke says:

Best of Luck with the knee John!

3. B.J. Reed says:

I will be doing this with Monique Huston, Manager of the Dundee Dell and we hope you will pipe in with comments – Thanks John for giving us an opportunity to participate!

• sam k says:

Ahhhh…Monique!

• Chap says:

B.J., it’s great to have you writing, and great to hear Monique will come out to write here. The Dell is a special place–it’s the thing I liked best about that town. I look forward to this–and John, great choice, and get well soon!

• Monique at the Dell says:

Thanks for the warm reception guys! We’ll leave the reviews and the tough work for John when he gets back!

4. Best of luck with the surgery John, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. And yes, please do pipe in with questions for BJ and Monique.

BJ won’t be doing any formal reviews, but I invite him to offer his informal thoughts on what he tasted.

• B.J. Reed says:

Yes, I will leave that to the experts :) We did taste some interesting stuff and Monique has a better nose and palate then I do! Also, will ask others who were on the trip to pipe in with comments and corrections!

6. Paul says:

John, good luck and rapid recovery from the knee surgery!

7. Just to echo the well wishes, John: I hope you’re up again and getting ready to shovel the snow for next winter in no time :)

8. Chris Riesbeck says:

Best of luck John get well very soon!

9. Gary says:

John all the best for a healthy and speedy recovery. We will carry on the best we can.

Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated.

Gosh with all the great commentors here, and B.J.’s posts, you guys won’t even know I’m gone. Carry on!

The hospital just called. They want me there at 6 AM tomorrow. And it’s a good 1 hour and 45 minute drive to the hospital. I guess I’m getting up early tomorrow.

I’m not allowed to dring or eat anything after midnight. That doesn’t preclude me from having a fine dram between now and then. And I just got a review bottle of the new Dalmore Mackenzie. Temptations abound…

• sam k says:

Open it. Right now.

Done. Yum! This boy isn’t going to sit around and worry about his surgery. A very characterful Dalmore (lush fruit up front, good grip on the finish), and a wonderful glass of Australian Torbreck “The Struie” Shiraz.

Now it’s time for rehydration in preparation for golden slumbers.

11. David Dapkewicz says:

Best wishes and speedy recovery. And I’d give into temptation. But that’s just me…

12. Sam S. says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Be as active as your surgeon wants to lessen the risk of a clot in that leg.

13. Neil Fusillo says:

Surgery’s no fun, but you’ll be right as rain in no time. Here’s to having you back soon, safe and sound.

14. [...] We’ve been working hard for our money, trying to support our whisky habits.  Quick fix?  The naming contest over at The Whisky Exchange is still on.  And Tim thinks that we all can do better.  Get to it, fellow drammers.  While you’re at it, raise a glass to the health of John Hansell, who undergoes surgery today. [...]

15. Tim P says:

I hope everything goes perfect John, and I look forward to meeting you in Chicago.

Ok B.J. and Monique, I can’t wait to hear all the good stories from the Dell’s trip to Scotland.

16. William H. Gaunce says:

John: Always enjoy your take on things. Good luck and as swift recovery from your fans in Kentucky.

17. [...] I mentioned here, this is from From B. J. Reed and the gang who visited Scotland a couple weeks [...]