Surgery + three days

March 29th, 2010

I’d like to thank all of you for your well wishes–here, on Facebook, Twitter, and via email. I really appreciate it. Since some of you have asked about how I’m doing, I thought I would update you on my situation.

The surgery went well. The procedure was to fix a tear in my medial meniscus. So far, I don’t see any signs of infection or any other complications.

The anesthesia wore off by Saturday afternoon and that’s when the pain really started kicking in, so the weekend wasn’t much fun. I took Vicodin the day of the surgery (Friday) and Saturday. Now it’s just Advils with my meals and at bedtime.

I’m weaning myself off of the crutches and will only use them today when my knee feels really sore or tired. I hope to be off them 100% by tomorrow. And they have me doing some very basic PT exercises.

I just have to be patient (not easy for me), stay the course, and not do anything stupid.

In the interim, B. J. has some great stuff I’ll be posting up. (Thanks again B. J. for filling in here.)

Regarding drinking, I have been enjoying a glass of wine or beer with dinner. I’m staying off the hard stuff for a few more days, though, untill I am completely off the meds.

Slainte!
John

14 Responses to “Surgery + three days”

1. Tanguy says:

1 Vicodin-Bourbon a day, the doctor away!
    Take care and hope to see you in Chicago

I plan to be back on track by the time of Whiskyfest Chicago.

• brian bradley (brian47126) says:

Darn Straight! I was planning to get a picture with you, and I would hate to have you on crutches. That “tiny tim” look is out. =)

3. bgulien says:

Glad to hear you are well. OK, maybe not 100% but getting there.
    All the best for the next few days.

4. Gary says:

Good to hear that all went well. Did you have an arthroscopic procedure? Is that why you are recovering well? Keep progressing. I won’t see you in Chi-town. But I will see you in November.

5. Louis says:

Hi John,

Glad to hear that you are the road to recovery, and I’m sure that I’m not the only onw who can’t wait for to have you back online as well.

Slainte.

Louis

6. Sku says:

Here’s wishing you a continued speedy recovery.

Cheers.

7. Dave G. says:

Get well soon, John. See you soon.

Dave

Very glad to hear it went well. Hope your recovery does too.

9. Patrick says:

Recover well and enjoy this time for reading some (whisky) books :-)
    See you soon

Thanks again, everyone, for your well wishes.

11. Glad to hear the surgery went well. Best of luck with the recovery.

Well, it’s now five days after the surgery. I’m off the crutches and off the pain meds. And on whisky!!! Last night’s therapy was my first taste of Dalmore Mackenzie, and it did the trick for me.

I can go up and down stairs (slowly and carefully) and ramble around the house, but I’m still in pain and my knee still doesn’t feel like a knee yet. I got on a stationary bike today for 10 minutes, going very slowly and at a low resistence level. My knee did not like that. I’m still icing it. (And no, the stationary bike wasn’t part of the therapy yet, but it seemed like a good idea at the time…)

I’m hoping for a better day tomorrow.