New GlenDronach 1996 single cask

April 13th, 2010

But you have to go to the distillery to buy it. It’s over 14 years old and bottled at 59.7%. More details below in the press release.

GLENDRONACH 1996 CASK 197 RELEASED TODAY…BUT ONLY AVAILABLE AT ABERDEENSHIRE DISTILLERY!

GlenDronach is delighted to announce details today (April 13) of an exclusive single cask bottling…and it’s available only in a secluded corner of the Scottish countryside!

“1996 Cask 197 has been specially selected for devotees of our renowned richly-sherried malt and is only available at our Aberdeenshire distillery,” explained Regional Sales Director Alistair Walker.

“You won’t find it anywhere else in the world so if you want to savour this unique expression, you’ll have to come here to get one of our 576 bottles…but I assure you the journey will be well worth it!”

Cask 197’s tasting notes confirm it’s a classic GlenDronach – smooth, sweet, complex and full-bodied with an incredible concentration of aromas.

Nose: Chocolate toffee sauce and intense raisin notes. Fortified wine elements marry well with roasted hazelnuts and almonds.

Appearance: Rich rosewood with a warm autumnal glow.

Palate: Sweet and full-bodied. Bold mocha flavours with more toasted nuts. An injection of stewed fruit helps to lift this dram to new levels. Chocolate-covered dates and fig jam release towards the finish.

Cask 197 bottles retail at just £47.99 each.

10 Responses to “New GlenDronach 1996 single cask”

1. An official single cask bottling for less than £50. Now compare that to the Manager’s Choice bottlings.

2. Steffen Bräuner says:

There has been several single cask bottlings from Glendronach, I got the 1992 16yo cask 1140, which is really good. I like distilleries that spits out SC bottlings, cause thats the kind of whisky I like, and then also at prices I can afford. Keeps us buying their bottles, drink them and come back for more

/macdeffe

3. B.;J. Reed says:

Have my “man” in Scotland on the hunt for one next time he is at the distillery ;)

4. Matt B. says:

Are these full 70cl bottles? If so, 576 bottles converts to over 106 gallons. I know bourbon casks are only 53 gallons or so. How large are sherry butts? The quantity seems too much for one cask, especially if you factor in 14 years of Angel’s share. Am I missing something?

• Steffen Bräuner says:

Sherry butts holds 500 liters, which, with no evaporation would result in 714 bottles. 576 bottles is a loss of 19-20% approx. over 14 years

/macdeffe

5. Seth Nadel says:

Nothing against GlenDronach, but they are a little too sweet for me.

6. Gary says:

I have a 1994 GlenDronach single cask. Good stuff.

7. Sam S. says:

Sounds delicious.
    Too bad I’ll never see it.

8. Alex says:

This is a great! To see a single cask distillery bottling under 50 GBP is a treat but alas my travels aren’t taking me to Aberdeenshire anytime in the foreseeable future. I hope more in the industry follow this step.

9. Charles says:

I have two single casks at the distillery purchased :) , was there for 13 years matured in barrels Sauterne … but the last bottle was two hours before out the door. ‘m Very happy with the two that I cherish