New: Glenfiddich “Rich Oak” single malt scotch

May 3rd, 2010

This was posted up on Luxist yesterday. Have any of you tasted it yet?

“Glenfiddich has released a new expression, Glenfiddich Rich Oak 14-Year Old. Priced at around $50, the whiskey has been aged in second fill Bourbon barrels for more than 13 years, and finished in new American and Spanish oak.

The effect, as one would expect, is higher vanilla notes than is found normally in Glenfiddich, the number-one single-malt Scotch whiskey in the world. The notes of dried fruit and walnuts shine through as is the case with any Glenfiddich pour.”

No Responses to “New: Glenfiddich “Rich Oak” single malt scotch”

1. G Llaguno says:

Does anyone has any idea when this is going to hit the markets? I’ve heard rumors of this a couple months ago, and I find it interesting to taste…

2. B.J. Reed says:

Our Dell group tasted it when we were at the distillery in March – It was called the “Indiana Project” by Ian because I believe some of the new oak was from Indiana. Anyway, we loved it – When you first nose it out of the bottle it smells of green apples and pears which is not surprising considering the oak influence –

What surprised me was the abundance of cinnamon in the palate. As it set for awhile the cinnamon became more pronounced on the nose as well.

This is one I hope gets to the states because it is unlike any Glenfiddich I have tasted. We snuck some home with us and tasted it again yesterday and we liked it just as much as we did at the distillery.

• Red_Arremer says:

The way you describe it brings Compass Box’s Spice Tree to mind, BJ. Any similarities between the two?

• B.J. Reed says:

Yes, good point Red – I think the mix of New Oak from U.S. and Spain is making a significant difference here but I would have to look at see what casks the “spice tree” has in it to see if we could find a common link.

Monique also noted that almost all Glenfiddich is aged with a mixture of Bourbon and Sherry casks and rarely uses one or the other exclusively. This one comes close because it is using Bourbon casks (2nd fill) but technically no oak that has held Sherry.

Wasn’t Spice Tree American Oak barrels with French Oak staves (and then French Oak barrel heads in lieu of the staves for the second bottling)?

• B.J. Reed says:

Here is what Compass Box website says:

Wood: 100% first-fill Bourbon barrels and first-fill, recharred American oak hogsheads for the primary maturation. A portion of the whisky went through a secondary maturation on new (virgin) French Sessile oak, heavily toasted. Our inaugural batch (labelled as such on the front and back labels) had one toast level. Our second batch, released April 2006, had several different toast levels for a slightly more subtle yet complex flavour profile, but definitely similar to the inaugural batch

• B.J. Reed says:

There was also some discussion of using new french oak staves in the casks which caught the “negative” eye of the Scotch Whisky Society- Some of that is coming back to me now :)

Yes, the Scotch Whisky Association “influenced” Compass Box, as I recall, and CB responded by switching from French Oak Staves to FO Barrel Heads (as I eluded to above.) I think that’s the history of it.

3. JohnM says:

Looking forward to this one.

Glenfiddich seems to get overlooked a lot, but they have some really decent bottles at good prices. Solera, that 102 proof, and now this seems nice too.

Btw, John, are you planning to do a review of the Glenfiddich 102?

5. glenn Vanbellingen says:

normaly i don’t buy Glenfiddich but after reading this article i will try him ones . I was one off the lucky one’s who tasted the first batch off the Compass Box’s Spice Tree and i liked this one very much.

6. B.J. Reed says:

I think Glenfiddich gets a bum rap because they have had such success with the 12 YO that people think they just mass produce whisky but I have become a pretty big fan – As Red noted the 15 YO Solera, the 102 and many other vintages are very, very good. Their havana rum cask was also good and I am not a big fan of rum casks finishes in general.

• Neil Fusillo says:

I don’t know. I’ve never been all that wowed by their expressions. They’ve always seemed a bit ho-hum to me. I will admit I’ve never tried the Solera or the 102, but their others are a bit lackluster.

I’m willing to give this one a go, though. I shan’t discount a distillery on name alone.

7. Matt says:

Hi John – We have tasted it recently and it has won great plaudits at a recent blind tasting/awards judging that we attended. I agree with the ‘Glenfiddich gets a bumrap’ comment as this is a lovely, well balanced and crafted whisky. It has just become available in the UK and we have a bottle already in residence in our whisky cabinet. Read our review by clicking below and let us know your comments …

Cheers,
    Matt @ Whisky For Everyone

• B.J. Reed says:

You got it exactly right Matt. I found the profile to change (especially the nose) as it was left standing for awhile – Did you get the same sense?

• mongo says:

doesn’t the change in profile of the nose and flavour happen with most malts as they sit in the glass?

8. Scotty Freebairn says:

I have great respect for William Grant & Sons have many (if not most) of their expressions of Glenfiddich and Balvenie. Can hardly wait for the Solera 102 and the new Rich Oak. Hope they get to Arkansas soon!

9. Scotty Freebairn says:

I have great respect for William Grant & Sons and have most (if not all) of the expressions of Glenfiddich and Balvenie. Can hardly wait for the Solera 102 and Rich Oak to reach Arkansas!

10. Andrea says:

Priced at around $50, the whiskey has been aged

perhaps it should be spelled “whisky” !!!!
    not a big fan of Glenfiddich, but this sounds good !

11. Tero Halenius says:

I bought that bottle in Edinburgh airport taxfree shop last sunday but i haven’t opened it yet :)

12. Alberto Munoz Olivares says:

I got it from my son who is back from Germany…I can’t wait to open it …let you know later

13. Thiha says:

I just got some from Singapore airport duty free shop. I like it a lot. It fits the warm and humid weather. It cost S$55.