Here’s something cool: Whisky barrel flooring

May 12th, 2010

This would look a lot nicer on the bar floor in my house than the carpeting and tile that’s there now. More details here, on the blog of the company who makes it.

(Thanks to Richard Paterson for Tweeting about this.)

Okay, so can anyone figure out which distillery this came from?

No Responses to “Here’s something cool: Whisky barrel flooring”

The Glendronach?

• Red_Arremer says:

Hm… but then what’s that “HE”? Scotch is “whisky”?

THE GLENDRONACH. That’s what I was thinking. Unless they don’t use “THE”.

• Red_Arremer says:

Yeah, but the “HE” is under the “DR” on the same plank– If your theory is true, you’d expect the “HE” to be above or to the right of the “DR” as labes in the english speaking world read left to right and then top to bottom… hmm

Maybe you could base a contest of some sort on solving puzzles like this? An idea for a future post?

2. Iain Russell says:

It’s a Glendronach Sherry cask, shurely ;)

3. Scott says:

I agree with John, if you kinda make a grid and spell out Glendronach with Sherry underneath, you would have very odd spacing of the word Sherry.

Just went through my Scotch list and I can’t find anything that fits. Maybe it’s something that isn’t available in the US? I also was going through my bourbon list and can’t find anything that fits. Maybe I should check out my Irish…. *doubtful*

4. bgulien says:

Glendronach is very much a frontrunner. Branding a cask was nothing like signpainting. If the info was on the cask, that’s good. No bonus for neatness. The S and the Y could also come from Speyside.
    Usually the cask is painted with an template, so branding is a bit special.
    Ever thought of an American angle? Because the bulk is coming from bourbon sources.

5. brian bradley (brian47126) says:

Perhaps that is an OR, and not a DR

• bgulien says:

Glenmorangie or Glen Ord?

• brian bradley (brian47126) says:

I can’t find a single photo of any company that bothers to burn their name into casks. Paint is cheap, and that’s all that seems to exist. I have looked everywhere and I am at a loss.

I would not be surprised if they burned the names in themselves to add character and thus interest from the scotch community at large.

6. [...] Here’s something cool: Whisky barrel flooring [...]

7. Iain Russell says:

Looks like stencils to me. But that G is in a different “typeface” from the other letters.

It’s not a “single” malt whisky cask floor? The staves have been “blended”… !? ;)

8. Gal says:

wow.that is Uber cool.

9. Mitch Gurowitz says:

I’m floored. ;-)

Boy are we geeks!

10. butephoto says:

If I ever open a whisky bar I am getting this flooring installed. Excellent!

11. Sallie Sanders says:

My first guess was also The Glenmorangie Distillery but see someone beat me to the punch!

12. Hi

glad you like this new flooring we have developed. It will soon be installed into a whisky bar within one of Glasgow’s biggest bar/restauran/ clubs and I’ll be sure to send on some pics of it installed insitu. As regards to the markings on top – many of the whisky barrels have already been recycled and were originally gin/sherry barrels – this particular barrel was originally a Gordon’s Dry Gin barrel which was later used for Cutty Sark whisky. We are in talks with other distilleries to try and use well known branded barrels and in time hope to sell branded whisky floors from your favourite distillery.

Slainte