Springbank 18 yr. old returns to the U.S.

May 26th, 2010

The press release just came in. It’s the new Springer 18. And it’s a lower price than the 2009 release, which is always good news. Judging by their tasting notes, it looks like the whisky is from sherry casks. (And I think I had a wee taste at a WhiskyFest somewhere along the way recently which was sherried.) I’ll post up a formal review when I get a review sample.

PREISS IMPORTS ANNOUNCES THE RETURN OF SPRINGBANK 18 YEAR OLD

San Diego, CA – May 26, 2010 –Preiss Imports, The Nation’s leading importer of specialty spirits announces the return of Springbank 18 year old, a Springbank Single Malt Original.  The malt is dried for six hours over a peat fire followed by 24 hours over hot air, and distilled two and a half times, all using traditional production methods on-site in Campbeltown.

Springbank 18 year old offers a nose full of authority.  Rich and creamy at first, the nose develops to reveal vanilla, ripe fruits and marzipan before hints of sherbet, almonds and strawberries.  The palate is a classic full-bodied dram, thick and oily in texture with an extremely fruity and mellow taste which gives way to sweet licorice and aniseed.  The chocolaty finish is long and consistent with a pleasant smoky tingle.

Item Information

46% ABV – 750ml – $149.99 Retail*

*2010 packaging offers a reduced price from 2009 release

Newly designed package to match Springbank 10 year old and Springbank 15 year old

Now Available / Limited Quantity, 300 6-pack cases for US market

About Preiss Imports

Preiss Imports is an exclusive importer of the finest specialty spirits from around the world, representing a diverse portfolio of truly authentic products. For over 20 years, Preiss Imports has cultivated a strong following from mixologists to consumers alike.  For more information, email kyoung@preissimports.com or call 858-458-9172 x102.

About Springbank Whisky Distillers

Founded in 1828, Springbank Distillery is the oldest independent family owned distillery in Scotland, and the only distillery in Scotland to carry out the full production process on one site, in Campbeltown.   Traditional production methods are used, and human involvement at each and every stage.  Springbank Distillery produces three different single malts, Springbank, Longrow, and Hazelburn, using three different production methods.

No Responses to “Springbank 18 yr. old returns to the U.S.”

1. mongo says:

i had no idea the 18 year old was that much more expensive than the 15 year old. i’m curious to see how it will retail.

• Red_Arremer says:

The 15 year old’s not cheap either. But I think this is about the same price as the last 18 year old. My feeling was that that one was very nice, but that there were lot’s of even nicer things that I could get in the price range.

• two-bit cowboy says:

Actually, Red, this is about $20 – $25 less than the 2009’s “suggested” retail.

2. mongo says:

the 15 sells for $68-94 in the minneapolis area. at $68 it’s one of the best values in whisky around here, and i think it’s a very good whisky even at $94–perfectly balanced.

3. PeterD says:

The 15YO Springer is $85 at Bayway World of Liquor here in NJ and it will always be a staple of my collection. I did a side-by-side this year at a Whisky Guild tasting and honestly, at the time, I didn’t notice a huge difference. Certainly not a $70 difference. I’d like to do another more relaxed A/B tasting (maybe as a blind test) to say for sure.

I think that comparing the 15 to 18 YO Springers is akin to comparing the 18 and 25 YO Macallans. Both are excellent premiums, but I prefer the younger. In the case of the Macallans, the 18 is definitely a better value (yummy-to-price ratio) IMHO. I believe this will be the case with these Springbanks, too.

4. Louis says:

Considering the British pound’s current weakness relative to the dollar, the price reduction hardly qualifies as great humanitarian gesture. It should also be noted that on the other side of the pond, The Whisky Exchange gets a 50% premium for the 18 year old over the 15, a smaller differential than over here.

How does a whisky company distill a product two and a half times? One and a half times through the spirit still? Just asking.

• Finnegan says:

That was explained when I did the distillery tour a couple of years ago but I can’t remember the details now. Some kind person will, I’m sure, elucidate.

• It’s a pretty complicated process which is to my knowledge also done at Mortlach. Basically a part of the spirit is triple distilled and another part is double distilled. Sorry but I can’t give you the details either.

• sam k says:

No, really, how can you possibly run a spirit 1/2 time through a still? As they say in emails, WTF?

6. B.J. Reed says:

Yes, talked to Steve Fox about this at Whisky Fest – At least I know Springbank’s pricing is as much to do about supply and inventory as it is about anything else. I am not a huge Springbank fan but the 15 YO is quite good – Will look forward to tasting this one as well.

7. Texas says:

If you have not had the Springbank 10 year in the last year or two I suggest you try it again. Wonderful stuff! Read Serge’s reviews of the 2008 and 2009 10 year.

8. Steve Fox says:

I am the Nationl sales Manager of Preiss Imports
    any one can give me a call and I will go over how 2 1/2 time works (818) 249-6680
    also please do not for get that Springbank is the only 100% hand made whisky in Scotland It is at 92pf most whisky is at 80 to 86 pf and only uses 100% Scothish barley
    There is only 350 cases a year of the 18yr for the US we will sell out befor the year is over
    I all ways ask people to check around the US because the price change from state to state
    I will alway be happy to go over any Question about Springbank just give me a call

9. Derek Stewart says:

I just picked up a bottle of this in Calgary while passing through the airport. It might be a while before it gets opened though as it is added to a growing collection. I hope it is as good as the tasting notes!

10. Graham Pearson UK. says:

I aquired a bottle of 22yr old springbank single malt whisky back in the very early 1970s I’d appreciate any comments.

11. Wesg says:

Question, for the assembled.
    At the top of this thread it was stated that it looked like this 18 yo was aged in sherry casks…
    Any truth to that?