Glenora releases new “Battle of the Glen” 15 year old Glen Breton single malt

June 10th, 2010

Glenora has release a new 15 year old Glen Breton single malt called “Battle of the Glen” (a.k.a “Take that, SWA!” :)).

All joking aside, here are the details, straight from their press release.

VICTORY IN THE GLEN

Glenora Distillers International Limited takes great pride in announcing a Special Edition 15 Year Old GLEN BRETON Single Malt Whisky.

One year ago, on June 11th, 2009, the Supreme Court of Canada delivered its judgement dismissing the application of the Scotch Whisky Association for leave to appeal in its unsuccessful campaign to oppose the trade-mark registration of Glen Breton, Glenora’s flagship single malt. That decision finally terminated nine years of litigation by the Scotch Whisky Association, involving four levels of appeal in the Trade-marks Opposition Board and the courts.

On November 19th, 2009, Glen Breton was entered as a registered mark on the Trade-marks Register of Canada. We at Glenora express our deep appreciation for the support and loyal patronage of the many who stood with us to win our cause.

In celebration of the registration of Glen Breton®, and to commemorate our victory in that Opposition, Glenora is releasing a unique bottling of select 15 Year Old Single Malt, the BATTLE OF THE GLEN™ Special Edition.

Lauchie MacLean, President of Glenora, says of this Special Edition Glen Breton,

“As far as we are aware, BATTLE OF THE GLEN is the first and only product created as a result of intellectual property litigation. The packaging and special booklet enclosure chronicle our fight for the inspiration of lovers of fine single malt whisky, and records our struggle for posterity. I am tremendously proud of the work of our people here at Glenora in producing this Special Edition. Glenora also wishes to acknowledge the creative talent of Famous Folks/Creative Communications based in Halifax and Toronto, for concept and development of the presentation box and labeling of the BATTLE OF THE GLEN Special Edition.

With release of this Special Edition Glen Breton, as Cape Bretoners, as Nova Scotians and as Canadians, we also honour all of our families who have gone before us, in courage and with sacrifice, to defend their rights in all just causes.”

We invite you to pour yourself a goodly dram of BATTLE OF THE GLEN, savour the apple and maple of our Cape Breton highlands, and join us in toast to victory for Glen Breton – hard-won, richly deserved.

Glenora has, by its perseverance in craft distilling and the quality of its single malt, now earned a respected position in the world. Glen Breton Rare, Canada’s only single malt whisky, received recognition as one of “Top 50 Spirits 2006” by Wine Enthusiast Magazine.

For further information, please contact:

Lauchie MacLean

President

lmaclean@glenora1.ca

902-468-6516

Bob Scott

Vice President

bscott@glenora1.ca

902-468-6516

No Responses to “Glenora releases new “Battle of the Glen” 15 year old Glen Breton single malt”

1. Andre Girard says:

Nice to see a small distillery can win over the mega SWA. Hey guys. If you have a change to taste their 15 years old Ice wine finish single malt, grab a bottle, this is definitely one of a kind.

2. PeterD says:

We visited the distillery a few years ago just as their first bottling (the 8YO was gone and the 9YO was coming out). It was a nice (albeit small) facility with a very nice restaurant. They have an inn on the premises, but it was a little too pricey for us at the time; next time we’ll stay there for sure. They had very limited distillery tours but only if they were not actaully distilling at the time. No visitors allowed when the stills were in operation (at least back then).

I found the 9YO whiskey to be somewhat one-dimensional and with a harshness I couldn’t put my finger on. I support the company and I’ve read that their later (longer-aged) releases have improved considerably over those first couple of bottlings. I’d love to read a comprehensive review of this product.

3. Henry H. says:

Has anyone had much experience with the Glen Breton single malts? I’ve considered trying it on trips to Vancouver, B.C., but the high prices and strict limits on pours in the province make exploring a pretty risky business. Congrats to Glenora on slaying the giant. Or getting in a small blow, anyway.

• Ian says:

Henry,
      It’s less expensive in Nova Scotia, but then, it’s just down the road, so to speak, from the distillery. In Ontario, where I live, it cost about 90 CAD a couple of years ago per bottle. I ended up going to NS later that summer for work, and bought 2 for that price. (Drank 1 with some friends to celebrate divorce, and brought the other home).

4. PRJack says:

I was thrilled when Glenora won that battle. And I celebrated by buying a bottle of their single malt… but sadly there was little celebration for that. (Not nearly good enough for the price it was selling for.)

I really hope this is much, much better than their regular offering.

5. Bill says:

Congrats to Glenora. I hope to visit the distillery one day.

Beating the SWA at the “Battle Of The Glen” is impressive, but if it was up to me, I would simply have referred to the whisky as Glenora Single Malt.

Most distilleries name their core brand after themselves…

6. Owen says:

I just had two drams of this tonight at a tasting. It is excellent. Bit steep on the bottle price, but I think I’ll be picking some up!

7. eugene says:

Sounds yummy, but can we get it here in NYC? Do you have it posted somewhere so we can get some? Please.

• Ian says:

Eugene,
      If you check with the distillery page, or do a search for Glen Breton, one of the pages will provide you with contact information for distribution. I believe I saw one based in NYC, but you may have to travel some distance to get it. (Then again, I travelled half a country for mine, so it depends on what you consider as far…)