This year’s Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection whiskey will be…

July 16th, 2010

…a “Maple Wood Finish.” Sounds very exciting.

I was informed of this earlier in the week, but was asked to hold off on posting until it went public. It will be out later in the year. Looking forward to trying it.

Okay, now back to the “benchmark whiskies” discussions.

19 Responses to “This year’s Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection whiskey will be…”

1. Rick Duff says:

Sounds great. I love using maple for smoking meats (as well as Oak).. so I have high hopes for this.
    I’m thinking that the new release from 40 Creek is also maple barrel finished.

Now.. do you know if this is just maple barrel finished… or totally aged in Maple, therefore not a bourbon?

2. Jon W says:

Sounds very interesting. Is this a first? I’ve always wondered if whisky was ever aged in anything other than oak.

3. chef! says:

Wow, very exciting and I can almost taste it! Rick brings up an interesting point in regards to smoking woods. Would be interesting if this became a trend with other similar, lighter flavor smoking woods that could be made into a barrel. I can see a lot of these woods working with the flavor profile of bourbon… almond, pecan, etc…

4. Hunter O. says:

Mmmm. Applewood bacon—……er whiskey.

5. Matt L says:

Should work well for cooking down onions for barbecue sauce.

• Eric says:

That’ll be some expensive barbecue sauce.

• Matt L says:

Yeah, I didn’t look at the price point for these… This is a little to pricey for something that experimental from WR, at least as far as I’m concerned.

6. Gary says:

Big WR fan. I am looking forward to trying this.

7. Dutch says:

Are these being finished in Maple barrels or are they using maple chips or staves in the barrel?

Not sure. I am assuming maple wood barrels, but you know as much as I do.

• Dutch says:

it would be interesting to find out, and if they are using maple barrels, are they charred or not? does WR cooper their own barrels or do they buy them?

• Archaeology Carl says:

Had the Corn to Cork tour at Woodford Reserve this morning. During the tour I had the opportunity to speak with Connor O’Driscoll, the Production Manager at the distillery and ask plenty of questions. He said this years Master’s Collection is Woodford Reserve bourbon finished in sugar maple barrels.

8. Jazzman31 says:

Is “Maple” going to be the next big thing for whiskeys? Has anyone tried Cabin Fever?

9. Josh says:

Mysteriously, the WRMC Maple Wood finish has appeared and then vanished from the Oregon price list .http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14301

• I have a query into the OLCC about this. Unfortunately the individual there with whom I normally correspond is out until Friday (23rd) so I don’t expect a reply until then.

Mike Veach has added some information to the thread referenced by Josh.

10. Melissa Robillard says:

I wonder if they are trying to compete with Cabin Fever Maple Whisky. I know a lot of companies have been monitoring there success in the Northeast.