Some new whiskies headed to the U.S.

October 14th, 2010

This is from a U.S. perspective. (Yes, we know that you guys across the pond are spoiled and get most of this stuff before we do.) This is the time of the year when we hear about new whiskies being introduced for the upcoming holiday season. Here’s a list of new whiskies that I’ve heard about coming to the U.S. that I haven’t already mentioned here in greater detail on WDJK.

From Diageo:

• Lagavulin 12
  • Cragganmore 21
  • Talisker 30
  • Glen Spey 21
  • Auchroisk 20
  • Glenkinchie 20

Old Pulteney 30 yr. old (cask strength, coming early 2011)

anCnoc 12 & 16 (started getting into distribution just a little while ago)

Compass Box Flaming Heart (10th Anniversary Edition)

A.D. Rattray whiskies

The Black Grouse

The Glenrothes John Ramsay Legend bottling.

Deanston Virginia Oak

Amrut Intermediate Sherry

GlenDronach and BenRiach single casks (one of each)

A new line of higher-strength Chieftain’s whisky

Angel’s Envy Bourbon

WhistlePig High Rye Bourbon (40% rye!)

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (I ust got my review samples. Some are better than last year, some aren’t. Still, they are high quality whiskies. Stay tuned.)

A line of Glenglassaugh whiskies (some older expressions too!)

I’m sure there are more (and more will be forthcoming), but these are the  whiskies that come to mind at the moment.

Do you know of any other new whiskies destined for the U.S. this holiday season?

33 Responses to “Some new whiskies headed to the U.S.”

1. Penderyn’s Peated and Sherrywood editions were shipped to the US for the first time last month and should be hitting shelves across America right about now!
    DISCLOSURE- I work for Penderyn (obviously)

2. lockejn says:

Do we expect an unpeated Caol Ila this year?

3. Vince says:

John,
    I anything coming out from Wild Turkey? They have had some great limited releases over the last few years. I love the “Tradition” , “American Spirit” and “Tribute”

4. Richard says:

John,

There was word a while back about Nikka bringing some of their expressions stateside. Any word on the status of that?

5. Whisky Party says:

These looks great. Would be great to know pricing, but off hand I’m thinking Black Grouse and Lagavulin 12 are going to be some high quality new drams that won’t be budget-busters.

Also looking at anCnon – been hearing for a while that it’s a great whisky that doesn’t get its proper due.

6. David says:

Very excited for the A.D Rattrays, I visited Scotland for the first time this summer and tried a couple, one was outstanding, I believe it was a 25 YR Linkwood, please send that to the Mid-Atlantic.

7. Steve says:

There are a few that look like future purchases, but the one I’m sure to try is the Glenkinchie 20yo. This is almost twice the age of any Glenkinchie I’ve tried, so I’ll be very interested to see if the gains are similar to the Auchentoshan upgrade from 12yo to 18 and 21yo.

Hopefully Richard’s wish for more Nikka offerings comes about. I’ve picked up three expressions over the years and still think the Taketsuru 17yo is one of the best pours I’ve ever had.

8. bgulien says:

Is that Laga 12 yo the 2010 bottling?
    I have the 2008 and 2009 here on the shelve and those were outstanding whiskies.

9. Matt Z says:

What about Kilchoman? I thought we’d have seen it by now…

I believe that Kilchoman is now being sold in the U.S. (They’re pouring at WhiskyFest.) I’m not exactly sure where, though.

• Jon W says:

I have been told by a major retailer that we’re about a week away. I also have a friend who has been talking to someone at PALCB and apparently it’s still “coming soon”. But I haven’t actually seen any yet.

10. DavidG says:

Binnys just got in a bunch of cask-strength Signatory and G&M bottlings. The holidays arrived early in Chicago. In particular a heavily sherried G&M bottling of Glenburgie – I wanted to pour it over waffles – it was so thick and chewy.
    Although slightly off topic – the uptick of retail cask buying by Binnys, K&L etc. is very welcome.

11. Thomas Mckenzie says:

I am really looking forward to the whistlepig high rye. I had a taste last week of the rye. If the high rye bourbon is of the same caliber, we are in for a treat. Any idea who made it?

12. B.J. Reed says:

Phew!

13. Ernest says:

I’m still waiting on the Nikka.

14. Ernest says:

I’m still waiting on the Nikka but would love to try the Laga 12 but I recall the previous expressions being very expensive. Upwards of $120.

15. JWC says:

Really looking forward to your review of this years BTAC. Wwhen you say that “Some are better than last year, some aren’t” – does that mean that the ones with the lower scores last year (Eagle Rare comes to mind) improved and the great ones from last year (WLW comes to mind) are not as good? Looking forward to finding out!

16. Bill H. says:

I thought we were getting some new Japanese whiskies other than Yamazaki before the end of the year. Anyone have any scuttlebutt on this?

• H.Diaz says:

Bill, have you seen or maybe tried Hibiki 12 y/o blend? I’m currently half-way though my bottle.

With part of the whisky matured in plum liqueur casks and malt over 30 y/o, this is one of the best whisky blends I have ever tasted. At $55, it’s a great buy. The bottle itself is nice enough to re-use as a decanter, just remove the paper.

Like yourself, I hope to see much more Japanese whiskies here in the US in the coming months and years. Yamazaki 12 and 18 are good too, but we need more.

• Vince says:

H. Diaz,

I agree, the Hibiki 12 yr old blend is fantastic! One of the best values out there

• Bill H. says:

I have tried it! It was at a Hibiki tasting that I heard that Nikka hoped to be getting Hakushu into the US market before the end of the year (there’s some Hakushu in the Hibiki, but that doesn’t count). And I’m pretty sure I read somewhere, maybe here, that we’d be getting Yoichi soon, too.

• H.Diaz says:

I’ve read good things about Hakushu. Not familiar with Yoichi – but would give them both a try.

17. Michael says:

Interestingly, Brora 30YO (9th release) and Port Ellen 31YO are not coming to the US.

18. Nate says:

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to hear you’ve received your samples from Buffalo Trace, I’d been starting to wonder if we’d be seeing the BTAC at all.

19. Mike Dereszynski says:

Hi John,
    Just a mention and I dont remember if you reviewed/noted this before but Kilchoman is due on our shores,not just the U.S. release but some special casks: Binny’s and in Calgary,Canada,Kensington Wine Market,have their own special casks arriving. Visions of Sugarplums !!!