What are you drinking besides whisky?

November 5th, 2010

It’s fair to assume you are all whisky drinkers. But what else are you drinking? Do you drink more whisky than anything else, or does something else come first? And do you think that drinking other alcoholic beverages has made you a better whisky drinker?

I admit that I am what I call an “equal opportunity drinker.” I like nearly all beverages, as long as they taste good. I drink more beer than anything else, but it’s always the good stuff. (Malt Advocate was originally a beer publication many years ago.) I also love wine and maintain a wine cellar of a couple hundred carefully chosen wines. Rum, tequila, Cognac, Armagnac also get thrown into the mix, and my preference is for those that are nicely aged. I’ll even have some white spirits (gin, vodka) on occasion, when I’m in the mood for a martini.

And yes, drinking other beverages has made me a better whisky enthusiasts–especially being a wine drinker, with all the exotic wine-finished whiskies on the market these days.

How about you?

72 Responses to “What are you drinking besides whisky?”

1. I think I completely agree with ‘as long as it tastes good’. Although my preference goes to genuinely produced stuff. As soon as I know that flavouring is done artificially I usually decline.

I do drink many whiskies, but in quantity the prize goes to wine. White spirits are not in my cabinet, except a single still closed bottle of vodka which is more a souvenir from a trip to Russia than anything else. Calvados, Rum, Armagnac are appreciated, but since there is a budgetary limitation I try to stick to whisky. There’s more than can be tried anyway, so no reason to veer away.

My beer drinking is usually in batches. I almost never drink beer, until I come to a specialist and buy a load of different craft beers and drink them all in a week. After that it can very well take half a year before I buy my next batch. The last batch were Islay Ales, which I really enjoyed.

2. magnus says:

mostly craft beers and rhum :)

3. George Jetson says:

I’ve been enjoying the resurgence in small batch American-style Gin. I got started several years ago when Anchor first released Junipero, then North Shore Distillers fired up production here in Chicago. Now there’s a plethora of innovative producers from Bluecoat in Philly to Voyager in Seattle.

Perhaps the most meticulous and dedicated of the new breed is Leopold Bros., who add different botanicals while taking different cuts from the still to optimize the boiling points and chemistry of the aromaitc components. The process is much more like whisky making than Gin in that attention is paid to foreshots and feints and only the optimum cuts are then combined to make the final product.

Small batch gins are very akin to single malts. The layers and complexity are best revealed neat with a drop or two of water to release the volatile components. The good ones, like whisky, are the ones that achieve that perfect balance and subtle nuance of flavors. There should be a signature theme of one or two flavors that identify a good one from it’s competitors, just like in a good scotch. I generally avoid the ones with a laundry list of potpourri ingredients.

My other non- whisky pursuits include Absinthe, which seems to be a co-product of many of the small batch Gin producers.

• Red_Arremer says:

Yeah– great things are going on with gin, George. If you get the chance, check out Ethereal from Berkshire Mountain Distillers. The label color and formula changes every batch and I mean big differences in the profile. It’s pretty exciting. If you see the orange label around, that is some good stuff!

• Josh West says:

Have you tried Ransom Spirits’ Old Tom Gin? It any good? I think they use malted barley as a component of the gin; interesting.

• Red_Arremer says:

That started popping up everywhere recently– Oregon spirits is also doing some white dog and a gin (small’s)– I’ve also been wondering if any of it rates

• Josh West says:

Yeah their white dog (Whipper Snapper) has been trickling into MA. Its fun to try but a bit young/harsh. Still enjoyable though if you like whiskey and have had white dog before.

4. I tend to drink beers when in a pub. I prefer low alcohol style beers like quality lagers (its easy to get crap lagerts!)

Urquell is my favourite.

If available I like real ales, preferable modern scottish style like Bitter and Twisted, Carronade, Tradewinds, Duechar’s etc.

I never say no to a Guiness :-)

I find most strong beers not to be good. To strong on the alcohol or too sweet. Trappist beers, like Rochefort, is a brewery I think make a good beer at a higher ABV

Apart from that I like a good port. I also like the occsaional cocktail, like a whisky sour!, mojito etc.

95% of wines I get I don’t like, seems like I am a real snob when it comes to wine :-)

Steffen

5. bozzy says:

First of all because of my Turkish heritage the one and only “Raki”… I am born and raised with it. I cannot imagine a life without it. :) And then ouzo, wine, beer, cognac and armagnac, port and sherry…

6. B.J. Reed says:

Yep, mainly beer – Love Belgium Brewing Co. beers, also Guinness as well as Rogue Brewery Beers – We have a local micro brewery here in Omaha called Solas and they have some excellent beers including Lucky Bucket -

7. Barry Jay says:

I like the word Chemistry that George used….and I sometimes use the word alchemy. Though I will always be a heathen in the world of Whiskey, beer is where I get the biggest kick of exploring variety.
    Brewers like Sam Calagione from Dogfish as well as others keep upping that ante with new and shall I use the word “wacky” brews. Wacky not meaning they are bad…or that they shouldn’t have been brewed…by all means no. Just things you would not have expected. Nothing more fun than going to the local store here IN NEW JERSEY (lol) and buying 20 bottles or so of things new and intriguing…and even better, sharing and sampling with friends. I love when a bottle is well packaged and looks absolutely delightful….and you poor samples to all and everyone takes a taste. Then, we each look at each other wondering “what were they thinking of??” and summarily all dump it. I must admit, some bottles can get expensive….but as long as my wife keeps buying those Coach Handbags, I’ll continue my licquor store sprees…..

Cheers! And here’s a successful Whiskey Fest in NYC!

• George Jetson says:

Dogfish Head also makes a great bare knuckled style “Jin”…..

• Barry Jay says:

You know, I went down there for their weekend “360” which was an absolute hoot (pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryjaymarlboro/sets/72157608383510113/ ). While I was there, I picked up a bottle of their rum. I have a few fussy rum drinking friends, one goes as far as having smuggler friends bringing some in from unknown locations in the caribbean. When they tasted it, they said it was one of the best they ever had. IF you looked at their little facility in the pub at the time, you would wonder how they do it. I think the picture of the kettle is in my flickr set. I enjoy watching Sam’s Youtube videos when he promotes his new brews…always entertaining. He would have been a natural in the 60’s…..lol

8. lucky says:

Beer is so easy and there is so much creativity in the field just now. It seems to pair so easily and so well with so many foods that it has become the go to in my kitchen.
    Bourbon and Armagnac are the ones I turn to when I want a contemplative few moments.
    Gin and Rum for cocktails as both go well with the hot summers here in Fla.

9. Thomas Mckenzie says:

I just love a good tequila. I found a new good cheap 100 percent agave called agavales last week. Very good and 13 bucks a liter.

• B.J. Reed says:

there are some unbelievable mezcal’s out there from village/family owned distilleries – fantastic – check out mezcal.com if you want to check them out -

I have also had some amazing Mezcal. It’s often hard to find, but worth the search.

• Josh West says:

Hey John, what Mezcal’s did/do you enjoy? I’ve only had Monte Alban (smokey!) and Scorpion Anejo (i think the regular 1yo bottling).

• Gllaguno says:

How Ironic! I live in Mexico and I have only tried Mezcal once… this one was from Oaxaca, and we usually dont pay attention to this nice drink…

• B.J. Reed says:

Del Maguey bottlings are fantastic – Especially San Luis del Rio and Pechuga where according the the web site:

Next, a whole chicken breast, skin removed, bone structure complete, is washed in running water for about three hours to remove any grease. This is then suspended by strings in the atmosphere of the still and a 24 hour, third distillation is begun. The vapor passes over the pechuga and condenses into a crystal clear liquid that has an amazing taste and smoothness.

Now that is a distillation process!!!

Yes, Del Maguey is the ones I tried and enjoyed.

• Red_Arremer says:

Check out El Jimador Blanco and Reposado– at about 30 bucks to the 1.75 L the value is unbeatable.

• Josh West says:

One of my favorite tequila’s is El Jimador Anejo.

Have you had El Diamente del Cielo Anejo or Tezon Anejo? Tezon’s bottle is a lotta marketing fluff style but the tequila is rich and buttery; another one of my favorites.

• Red_Arremer says:

Hey Josh– El Jimador is produced by Herradura. You should check out Herradura Reposado, it’s possibly my favorite tequila.

• Josh West says:

Ahh cool. I’ve had the Herradura Anejo which is good but there’s more fruit on the nose/mouth than I’d like. Perhaps the Reposado is a bit toned down. I’ll have to give that a try. I wonder if Blanchard’s carries it. (I met you there once).

10. Rick Duff says:

Wine, Beer, then Whisky by volume (not alcohol volume).
    I make Wine and Beer though… and being an avid cook.. I almost always have to have wine with dinner.
    As for other spirits, I enjoy Tequila.. but I don’t have it too often. Wine actually got me into whisky..

11. Michael says:

I used to drink mostly beer and red wine. I may occasionally have white wine with meal and some sherry or moscatel, once in a while but otherwise I only drink whisky these days. This is mostly because I want to keep the amount of alcohol I drink in check. As some of my friends say, I somehow always manage to make a fun activity to become a controlled, scientific test (no matter what I do) :-)

12. OudErnest says:

Beer, cider, wine, and whisky in terms of volume. Beer, whisky, wine, cider in terms of frequency. Came into whisky through my love of beer, a natural extension, but only drink a few drams per week and more in the colder months. I’m a certified beer judge and all around beer geek so every other spirit and liquor is a distant second.

13. Vince says:

Whisky, wine and then beer in terms of volume. I usually will drink beer one night out of the week when I go to a specialty beer bar. Other than that I always enjoy a contemplative whisky at the end of a hard day of work (Bourbon the most, followed by scotch). I usually enjoy wine with meals on the weekend.

I certainly feel drinking wine has made me a better whisky drinker. I think you build a flavor template in your mouth as you try more wines and whisky’s. I know I can pick up flavors now that I was not able to do when I first started drinking wine and whisky.

14. Andre Girard says:

Only single malts for me… a couple hundred bottles. A couple Port bottles per year, good quality bottles but not that much. My heart belongs to single malts whiskies, mainly scotch whiskies…

15. DavidG says:

Beer and then wine. As a I keep kosher, there is a paucity of kosher spirits outside of scotch and bourbon. As far as other beverages go – there is an expanding range of wine available to me, but beer offers me the much greater variety. With the explosion of barrel-aged beers I feel the beer world converging on whisk(e)y. here in Chicago we have Goose Island’s superb Bourbon County Stout and new variants of it coming in the next month. Focusing in on teasing out the bourbon and wood notes helps hone mt palate on the whisk(e) side.

• lawschooldrunk says:

isn’t there an issue of bourbon being kosher depending on whether it’s owned by a jew and if yes, whether it’s sold over passover because it’s considered leavened bread and a jew can’t own leavened bread over passover? At least, that’s what I heard from my jewish friends.

• DavidG says:

Yes – its a potential issue with Sazerac – I really miss the BTAC and Experimental Collection along with their more “basic” bottlings (the issue was discovered this past year when they were seeking kosher certification for their products – no good deed goes unpunished). Bourbon as a class is not a problem – it is just the coincidence of Sazerac being privately held by a jewish owner who retained ownership over passover.

• lawschooldrunk says:

Why do people think sazerac is held by a jew? It’s privately held and they will likely tell you that any information of ownership is proprietary information and confidential.

16. Texas says:

Since I don’t drink mixed drinks anymore (they just don’t agree with me), it’s just beer and whisk(e)y since I don’t like anything else neat. I don’t care for wine.

Shiner Bock or other Shiner beers, Guinness, are my two faves.

17. JWC says:

Port, beer and wine. By volume, whisky no. 1, then beer, port and wine. I think drinking port and wine has enabled me to be more knowledgeable about whisky.

18. Matt J. says:

Single malts, bourbon, and blended Scotch are my go-to drinks, in that order, though the choice is often made based on what mood I’m in. Tied for a far distant second are beer (it has to be something I like!), slivovitz, and occasionally vodka. Very rarely a bottle of red wine.

I find that a lot of drinks give me headaches in relatively low quantities (i.e. 2 or 3), so sometimes base my choice on that… vodka and certain single malts are the exception so for longer sessions I choose those. But I find myself doing less and less of that these days.

19. Carl H says:

Old Rum, craft beer and wine.

20. Dutch says:

Good beer first, we’re fortunate enough here in West Michigan to have some great craft brewers, Founders, Arcadia, Bells to name the larger ones, to the smaller ones like the BOB, HopCat and the Hideout, with 3 more being built in the Grand Rapids area alone in the next year. So nights out are usually with friends and good beer.
    Then at home it’s usually beer first, whiskey second, and an occasional port or sherry thrown in.
    When we winter in Arizona, it’s whiskey first, then beer, with some tequila once in a while in a margarita. That’s because I have a harder time finding good beer in the Yuma area, lots of Mexican lagers, but not much for craft beer.

21. Louis says:

In the summer, it’s nice to have something around for days when it is just too hot for any sort of whisk(e)y. Last summer, it was Partido blanco tequilla and Bacardi light rum. Most of my family enjoys having some fun with summer cocktails.

22. Ryan says:

Hard to beat a stunning bottle of wine paired with great food in the company of loved ones. And haunting local specialty breweries, and/or brew pubs, with friends (especially when seasonal releases are available) is wonderful too.

So far as spirits are concerned, if the aroma and flavor deeply impress me–be it rum, Cognac, tequila, or whisky–then I’m an equal opportunity aficionado.

I would agree with the notion that sampling a variety of wines elevates one’s whisky IQ. Especially fortified wines and dessert wines like port, sherry, Madeira, Sauternes and Tokaji.

23. Keith Sexton says:

My drink of choice will always be single malts, but i like wine and bubbly as well. Freixenet blanc de blanc is a great cava at such an affordable price.

Rather than drinking other beverages making me a better whisky drinker, I think it’s the other way around. I’ve had to work really hard to learn how to nose scotch and to really pick out the different aromas. Now, when I drink wine, I think that picking out the individual aromas comes much, much easier.

I love these types of posts that allows us readers to share some of our tastes, experiences, etc. And with 25 responses by 10:00 am, It looks like every one else does too :)

24. Mr Claw says:

Err – tea? Water?

As far as alcohol is concerned, I find myself moving towards drinking whiskies of various types almost exclusively.

That said I did have 2 beers last night (I used to primarily be a craft beer fan), and I had a dram of my El Dorado 15 rum about a week ago. I also ocassionally drink port or wine.

Thing is, I try not to drink often – maybe 3 times per week – and only little amounts (maybe a measure or two). As a result it’s mainly whisk(e)y.

I love whisk(e)y a great deal, but I also fear it! Having lived with an alcoholic a few years back I’m acutely aware of how dangerous alcohol can be and how much I should treat it with caution.

I went to The Whisky Show in London on Fri & Sat last week and sampled approx 60 whiskies over the 2 days. I haven’t touched a drop this week as a result.

25. Derek Stewart says:

I’m a bit seasonal with my drink choices, though it is whisky and good craft beer all year round.
    The mix would likely be 50% whisky, 40% beer, 10% everything else. The whisky ratio seems to increase proportional to my age.

In the summer, when it is nice and hot, I do enjoy a nice gin and tonic (usually Hendricks or our local Victoria Gin) or a dark rum and ginger beer (I often make my own ginger beer in the summer).

Occasionally I will sip some tequila or rum as well. The local choices for tequila are not great so I try to bring back my limit every time I go to Mexico, which isn’t very often these days.

Once or twice a year I will have some wine, usually a Gewurztraminer as the reds always seem to give me a headache. At Christmas time, I’ll put up with a headache for some good mulled wine.

26. MrTH says:

Beer, first and foremost (which led me to MA, which led me to whisky). My beer-drinking has gotten pretty narrow–American IPA’s when here, cask-conditioned bitters and IPA’s in the UK. The occasional Guinness or Belgian. Enjoy inexpensive new-world wine with a meal, but have no real interest in getting into that (I’m in enough trouble with whisky!). Mostly single malts for spirits, with occasional other whiskies, calvados, and fruit brandies (usually Clear Creek). And ice ciders from Quebec. Yum!

27. Steve says:

My aged rum collection is starting to rival my other-than-bourbon whiskey collection. Beyond that I’ve started to dabble with calvados, armagnac, and cognac, but the price-per-bottle for the good stuff is holding me back. Recently I started to add some ports, madeiras, and sherries to my collection, but again the price-per-bottle and the shorter open bottle shelf life limits my desire to augment in that area.

During the summer I’ll mix in some gin. As for beer, I usually drink it at one of two local pubs that bring in excellent selections of unusual and full-flavored micros and Belgians. Usually if I’m not drinking whiskey, good beer is my choice. There are lots of producers doing beers worth searching out.

With wine, I usually stick to less common and fuller flavored grapes like Malbec, Cab Franc, Touriga Nacional, or Malvasia and drink with food when dining out. Again, though, I can get a really good bottle of whiskey for the same money as a pretty good bottle of wine and the whiskey lasts quite a bit longer.

I’m not sure if tentatively branching out in these other areas has made me a better whiskey enthusiast, but likely. Seeing the prices of other brown spirits compared to whiskey (especially bourbon) certainly makes me more enthusiastic about whiskey. I haven’t seen anything with a better taste bang for the buck ratio than whiskey, especially given the cost of production and aging compared to overpriced, underflavored, and unaged white spirits. As a bonus, now that I’m somewhat older, I think whiskey gives me the best opportunity to drink less but much better than when I was younger.

I enjoy drinking other forms of alcohol, but I think they just make me appreciate the value of whiskey that much more. Just writing this has upped my enthusiasm.

28. bgulien says:

Mostly Gin, good gin, that is.
    And, because in Holland, the Dutch variant, Jenever.
    Calvados from France and the occasional Campari Orange Juice when eating an Italian meal.
    And of course wine and a good Belgian or German beer.

29. Jimmy says:

I probably drink more wine than whiskey. Living in San Francisco, my wife and I drive out to Napa every couple of months, taste, and bring home a few bottles.

I find whiskey takes more patience than wine, and that good wine is frequently over-priced. I’ll take a bottle of Pappy 15 over a bottle of a semi-reputable Napa Cab any day (a 95 point Napa Cab can easily be twice the cost of a bottle of Pappy).

Also a beer drinker. Loving American Wild Ales (like Russian River’s or Telegraph), also German beer, especially their dark wheat beers. Not a fan of the North-western brutally-hopped IPA craze, but I do like a few IPAs too.

I’ve been to a few excellent cocktail bars, but I don’t seek them out.

30. Thomas W says:

I used to drink wine, but the acid contained in it has become a problem for me. Now I pretty much stick to whisky. However, I bought a bottle of gin recently, so maybe this kind of drink might become an exception to the rule.

Whisky so far seems to be what my body reacts to in the best way (no side effects whatsoever on the good days ;-)). As far as beer goes (and I live in a “beer country”), it seems like a very standard, not too interesting drink to me. Also it appears to make you smell badly (sweat).

31. Joe M says:

Where are the cocktailians? My go-to drink is the Manhattan. If it’s done right, with a quality spirit like Rittenhouse Rye or Makers Mark and some really good bitters (Fee Bros. whiskey barrel aged), it can make the whisky sing. I find tweaking the Manhattan with a dash of liquer like Orange Curacao or Galiano (heard that Benedictine is great too) a great way to discover new flavor dimensions in the base spirit.

A Rob Roy made with a decent scotch, Peychaud bitters, and even a dash of caramel syrup, is pure delight. The Rusty Nail is another fave and great way to introduce non-scotch drinkers to scotch (fabulous if made with Johnny Black in 3 to 1 proportion).

32. I love beer as much as whiskey. When I am not drinking beer with food, I am drinking wine. I prefer the medium bodied beers that are enjoyed during this time of the year, espically October Fest beers ad Pumkin Ales. I love argessive Islay malts, but hate very assertive IPAs (which I always found interesting). As far as wine goes, depends what mood, what food, and what people I am drinking with that dictates what I am drinking. If I am picking the wine with no food, I love California Blends, Super Tuscans, and Cote du Rhones. Not a big fan of cocktails, but love good vodka straight on an occassion (Ultimat & Zyr are two of my favorites).

33. Hoke Harden says:

It would be a shorter post to list what alcoholic beverages I don’t enjoy! :^)

But in distilled spirits, of late I’ve been most fascinated and pleased by agave—tequila and mezcal—and rum. In both categories the variety, breadth and depth of possibilities of expression have been absolutely amazing. And those two spirits can present most of the complexities that make whiskey so compelling and irresistible.

34. Mats says:

It all depends on the occassion and the location. At home it is beer (preferably Czech pils, Belgian, British ale/bitter or Swedish microbrews), wine and the occassional gin&tonic before (and with the exception of g&t, with) the meal, and malt after. A lot of rose in the summer, more white and red in the dark half of the year.

For festive occassions such as Christmas, Easter, Midsummer – and of course the crayfish season – it is beer and snaps/aquavit (I am Swedish after all) with the food, and when we go skiing the after ski beer is accompanied by a Jägermeister (which b t w in my opinion should be served at cellar temperature, not ice chilled – why kill the taste?).

And then again, in the right location/context I won’t say no to a margarita, caipirinha, mojito, hurricane or whatever else the locals are imbibing.

35. Jason Pyle says:

Dang I’m late. I’m give all alcoholic beverages a chance. Certainly whiskey is first and foremost for me, but wine is right there. I’m a big fan of craft beers as well. If it’s liquid I’ll drink it……at least once.

36. Ethan Smith says:

I occasionally drink some wine. My wife likes wine so sometimes I have a little of what she’s drinking. The only beer I drink is home brewed stuff from one of my good friends at work. He’s really into it and he always works to out do himself with his next batch. He makes some fairly unique stuff but it always turns out great!

37. Brendan Hickey says:

I’m a total craft beer geek and what I learn from that helps me to understand whisky better. I don’t go for the trendy hopmonster beers, either – the more that it looks like used motor oil, in general, the happier that I am. I could probably be tricked into drinking used motor oil, except for the summer, when I fo more for lagers.
    I like Dogfish Head’s flavored vodkas – the closest that I ever get to a “cocktail” is a “PG-13″ of vanilla vodka and root beer – happily, diet root beer is perfectly fine for this.
    I like bourbon, Scotch, rye, and the new American whiskeys, and rum. I also like dry white wine but can’t stand reds.
    I’m allergic to juniper so I won’t risk drinking gin, but then, I figure that I don’t need to become fond of anything else with alcohol in it.

38. Cayman Unterborn says:

I’ve been experimenting with homemade liqueurs as of late. Just made a batch of ginger liqueur and it couldn’t be more simple! Just put semi good vodka in a jar, add stuff, walk away for a month.

I’ve also been making some mean cocktails, mostly pre-prohibition. Found a great book put out by Anchor Distilling called Cocktail Boothby’s American Bartender. It’s an awesome cocktail recipe book that’s a direct reprint of one out of 1891 San Francisco. An excellent resource and I’ve learned quite a bit (especially about the prevalence of egg cocktails…)

And craft beer too, I love this time of year. Winter beers mean bigger, bolder flavors with excellent ageability. It’s a great time to pad the cellar!

39. H.Diaz says:

When I buy beer I start with the local/home State breweries, plenty to choose from here in Texas. Next I look for made in the USA, much to choose from there too. I especially like to age my 750ml bottles, Allagash for example, for several years. Once in a while I will buy imported beer, not so much lately. Buy local. Corporate beer sucks.

40. My secondary spirit is aged rums although locally I dont have as good of a selection of them as whisky. I’ll get some of the white rum if I make mojitos in the summer. For brandy and cognac, I only like the quality ones that are unfortunately out of my price range so I can’t venture too far into the grape spirits.

I like all types of beers (domestic, imported and crafted) but I dont get too carried away with them but everything is worth a try.

I don’t have the opportunity to drink a lot of wines, I think its something to be shared with people but if I have it nobody else will help me finish the bottle.

• Red_Arremer says:

Which white rum makes the most sublime mojito, Yello?

• I never really focused on the type of rum, I mostly use Bacardi. I focus more on muddling up the lime and mint leaves in the glass properly. I use the end of a Japanese rolling pin for that. I think how they are muddled is the essence of the mojito bu next summer I will experiment with different rums since that would be the next stage in perfection. :)

Getting back to John’s question, I dont think drinking cocktails make you a better whisky drinker because of that reason. Beers, wines and other unmixed spirits are more ‘pure’ in a way the way the distiller intended you to drink it like whisky. In other words cocktails are a somewhat different artform since the beverage is crafted again.

41. Whisky Party says:

Lately, a lot of Stouts and Porters. Winter is coming and it’s getting to be the season for that sort of thing.

I’ve also been on a home brewing kick lately and I’m looking at brewing my first 5 gallon batch of a coffee-flavored porter next weekend.

42. Pete says:

My drinking passion has always been for beer, though I’ve become more passionate about whiskeys in the last 10 years or so. Started in the late 80’s when microbreweries started showing up, and a few years later I was convinced that it was just as much fun making my own beer as drinking good beers form around the world. In fact when I brew I like to have several good examples of the brew I am making so we (I always brew with friends) can be in the right mood.

When I go out to eat or to a pub I always try to find a new beer or spirit (one I haven’t tried before) and may not order alcohol if I can’t find something interesting.

Mostly it’s beer and whiskey – I’ve been paying particular attention to american craft spirits lately, but will drink wine if in Napa, Sonoma, visiting a winery or at a restaurant known for their wine selection.

I am a little disappointed that I still can’t distill for my own consumption legally without many expensive permits as there are so many things I’d like to try.

There are several good pubs in town with good beer and whiskey (many hundreds) selections as well as restaurant with hundreds of wines, tequilas, vodkas, rums, sherries.

Never been into mixed drinks.

I always have several home brews, as well as micro-brews, local winery wines and many whiskeys at home, so I’m never without that special drink when I need one.

43. I have a weakness for Irish Cream on the rocks….also enjoying nicely aged pot-still rums, of which I have recently discovered.

44. Michael Z says:

…..a wee dram and a beer….it doesn’t get much better…..’on we go’…

45. Brian Bradley (Brian 47126) says:

Great Coffee I find helps with, and pairs nicely with scotch. On “colder” nights on the island. I drink a couple locally roasted coffees. Island Joe’s and Baby’s coffee spring to mind. I also keep a case of Kona bends handy. Honestly, a strong cup of coffee and a dram can be a breakfast of champions–try it!

• I do coffee as a palate cleaner between drams, I read Jim Murray did it and had to try it out as well, works ok for me. I’m allergic to wheat so bread kills my palate

Steffen

46. Scotty Freebairn says:

When I am not drinking whisky, it’s Beefeater gin hands down! May the band be hot and the Beefeater cold! Just a touch of Martini-Rossi dry, bule cheese olives (2) and a twist of crisp lemon peel – perfectly pefect.

47. Jason G says:

I personally enjoy a nice rum, wine or occasionally vodka for an a break from whisky when I want a cocktail, but a great cup of coffee is still one of my favorite things.