Lunch with Dr. Bill Lumsden TODAY! Have any questions for him?

November 8th, 2010

At 1:30 PM today (Eastern Time, US), I’m having lunch with Dr. Bill Lumsden, Head of Distilling and Whisky Creation for The Glenmorangie Company. That includes Ardbeg and Glenmorangie. That’s about five hours from now.

I realize that this is last minute, but…do you have any questions you would like me to ask him?  I’ll do my best to get the answers.

25 Responses to “Lunch with Dr. Bill Lumsden TODAY! Have any questions for him?”

1. Mark C says:

I’ve been told that there are no old stocks in the Ardbeg warehouses now. Is this true?

2. lawschooldrunk says:

1)What made ardbeg and glenmorangie decide now to finally certify specific bottlings as kosher? 2)Any plans for more bottlings receiving certification? 3)With whom is the company working to certify? 4)Are they planning on releasing certified kosher wine-finishes in the future? 5)Have they seen an increase in sales since they certified? (I know tomintoul has certified, and some glen rothes and bruichladdich bottlings did too.) 6)are they planning on purchasing any distillery in the USA? (ala tuthilltown and william grant & sons)

3. colin says:

Which closed/mothballed distillery would you like to see active again?

4. Jazz Lover says:

Please tell Dr.Bill Steve in Houston Texas said Hello.
    And will he be coming to Houston again?

5. Scribe says:

* Additional “special bottlings” like RollerCoaster in the offing for 2011?

* Will there be new “edition” of Corryvreckan?

6. Ardbeglover says:

Are there any plans to increase the capacity of Ardbeg? If yes, what should the increase be? Will the heavely peated SuperNova be a standard in the Ardbeg range of Single Malts, or will it stay a limited batch release as the first two were?

7. Mr Claw says:

Hi John,

I have 3 questions. Mostly grapevine rumours that I hope Bill will be able to dispell.

1) UK stocks of Ardbeg seem to be becoming increasingly rare (and expensive). Are the rumours of increased overseas/drop in UK distribution true?
    Increased price/reduced distribution would be a sad thing for the UK for this most excellent of malts.

2) I had heard that Ardbeg did not want indie bottlers selling their stuff (in a rather Glenfarclas way) so did not want to sell any of their casks. The Whisky Exchange in London is lucky enough to have the excellent Ar2. Are we likely to see any more casks making their way to the indies? I’ve always thought that having indie bottlers releasing good malts was one way of keeping the supplying distilleries on their toes…

3) Is Ardbeg planning to produce/release any more vintaged/aged bottlings, or is it planning to keep up the NAS trend?

Personally I think that the Corryvreckan, Uigeadail and Supernova are all excellent malts, but I would like know the age(s) of the whiskies that go into the bottle. I appreciate that some young whisky goes into them and that producers may be frightened of saying a whisky is, say 7 or 8, but the rush to buy Kilchoman has shown that many people don’t care about age if the whiskies are good – once again, just look at Kilchoman: excellent and young!

Thanks,

Chris

• B.J. Reed says:

Good questions – I to am curious about any changes in the distribution patterns of both Glenmo and Ardbeg – Not sure how much older stock of Ardbeg is even available at this stage and the pressure due to market demand has to be significant.

8. Quentin says:

1) Any new launches coming to the States next year?
    2) Does Ardbeg or its parent company have an official stance on bottle sizes (70cl versus 750ml)? I.e., would they like to see a change in the US to allow 70cl bottles to be imported?

9. Mike Dereszynski says:

Good ?s.
    I’m interested in what Dr. Lumsden has to say.
    Just to add to the pile:
    Glenmorangie Italian wine finish a rumour ?
    Ardbeg, is Corry replacing the Beist or the Dail or neither?
    Any more single casks from Ardbeg.
    Does the mad brewer in you have anymore malt experiments going.
    Any new developments planned for the Ardbeg distillery, like your own malting?
    Thanks for bringing Mickey Heads and the Rollercoaster crew to Chicago.

10. Gllaguno says:

Simple question:

Are they going to state on the label if they use or not use caramel in the malt?

11. Jonathan says:

About three months ago, I contacted probably every store that may have had a bottle of Corryvreckan. In fact, I did my homework and saw the original press release for the bottle, and the stores that would have it available. I literally called everyone in the NY tristate area. Everyone was sold out. I noticed a bottle in Park ave liquors earlier this week. What does this mean?!!?! Was there another shipment to the states recently? I thought it was impossible to get my hands on a bottle of this. And now its suddenly available. Should I get my hopes up, and put this on my christmas wish list, or should I be naughty and dip into my savings for a few bottles of this? (honey, if your reading this, don’t worry I won’t actually do this, I know that we talked about it)

12. Thomas W says:

Regular bottling of Ardbeg have increased in price (at least in Germany & Austria) by about 30-40 Percent during the last 3-4 years. For example, the Ardbeg 10yo has risen from 31 Euros to 44 Euros(same dealer).

Do you (Dr. Bill) think this is justified? If so, by which arguments? (The Glenmorangie for instance didn’t get that much pricier, as didn’t the Laphroaigs!) – Thanks!

• Henry H. says:

I believe that in the States prices for both Glenmorangie and Ardbeg have dropped significantly. And at some of the large retailers, prices for the common bottlings of Ardbeg continue to go lower. In the case of this whisky drinker, lower prices have resulted in more purchases of Ardbeg.

Never thought I’d buy whisky for deep storage, but since the Airigh Nam Beist is going away and the price is excellent, I’m stocking up. For me, it’s that good.

13. Leorin says:

The Ardbeg Ten standard bottling is the last remaining bottle with an age statement (yes, ANB is out of stock) and therefore probably also the oldest malt in the distilleries portfolio. Are we going to see older versions with an age statement again in the near future?

14. maltakias says:

Mr.Lumsden has stated lately that age doesn’t matter that much as cask quality or the spirit itself.

Although i agree in certain degree with this i’m really curious.

Would he suggest the same thing if he had in his hands the massive aged stock that other distilleries have?

I know it’s difficult for him to be objective but please make him try.

15. Michael says:

I am really looking forward to this interview. If NAS is the only future for Ardbeg, time to get more ANB, try to buy older expressions on auctions and forget about the new releases.

16. Industry says:

I’d be curious to see if the effect of the pressures from a large supply company like LVMH,the parent company of Glenmo & Ardbeg, in any way have an adverse effect on any aspect of the whisky? Specifically I would be interested in knowing if they feel happy with their route to market stratedgy as their largest spirit brand Hennessey (from the LVMH persepctive) is an entirely different sale and is more about sheer quantity rather than anything esle. Does this mindset overwhelm a much more delicate sales pitch like whisky?

17. Michael says:

I am curious if that lunch/interview materialized and we would be able to hear some of his answers :-)

18. […] I mentioned here, I had lunch with Dr. Bill Lumsden the day before WhiskyFest New York.  Bill is the Head of […]