Giving thanks

November 22nd, 2010

With Thanksgiving just a few days away, I want to send a short note to thank all of you for taking time out of your busy schedule to check in here.

I would like to extend an extra thank you for those of you who take the time to comment. Your participation makes WDJK a much more useful site. I really appreciate it, and I’m sure everyone else does too.

34 Responses to “Giving thanks”

1. Luke says:

It’s our great pleasure to comment – Thank You John!

2. Vince says:

Thank You John. Its a great site and enjoy all of the comments from you and those that participate. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

3. Keith Sexton says:

Thank you too, John. I love this blog.

4. Mr Claw says:

No problem John. Thank you for posting!

I’m English (and live in the UK) so I won’t be ‘doing’ Thanksgiving, but seeing as it’s on Friday (and it’s payday for me!) I’ll be raising my glass to all of you in the US.

Chris

5. I am the one thanking. I really enjoy the posts here, and the high quality comments

Steffen

6. two-bit cowboy says:

Thanks, John and to everyone who posts here, no matter where in the world you are.

7. Michael Z says:

…happy turkey day from the great white north….’on we go’….

Thanks for the thanks– appreciated. This is a great blog– although here in Boston you might not even know thanksgiving existed what with all the Christmas decorations that have been out for weeks.

The policy here in the Hansell residence is that there’s no Christmas decorations or music allowed until AFTER Thanksgiving. One holiday at a time.

• Henry H. says:

Ah, don’t we long for the days when such was tantamount to the law of the land! And on a more serious note, many thanks to you, John, for all you do – here on WDJK, in Malt Advocate, and all the rest of the informing and industry-haranguing.

• Tim M says:

hmmm. our policy is not until December, which gives me an extra weekend!

• two-bit cowboy says:

The “decorators” I appreciate most are ones who do it all up on X-mas eve, sort of a family event in honor of the occasion. Of course few of those still exist; commercialism, even in a bad economy, wins. Can’t get into Black Friday, et al.

• Matt MacLean says:

Hello John, I received a bottle of the 17 YR FINE OAK Macallan recently and the label is different tan the label when it first came out. How can I find out what year my new bottle was released. It is white on top and lavender on the bottom. http://www.bevmo.com ? Any help on this bottling?

9. Brian Bradley (Brian 47126) says:

Happy thanksgiving! With all of your nonstop festivals, you deserve a holiday.

10. In Canada some of us have thanksgiving again just for the turkey.

11. David says:

Thank you John, you help a lot of us when it comes to expanding and exploring our whisky palates and for that I am grateful, through your site, and other whisky writers, we get to hear of new releases, changes in the industry etc.

12. Louis says:

John,

Thanks for giving us the place to hang out. And thanks to everyone for keeping things friendly and civil, not always the case on the internet.

Slainte.

Louis

13. Barry Jay says:

I may repeat myself, so excuse me if I do. I am somewhat of a social junkie. I love the company of interesting and talented people. I have a rather extensive and eclectic circle of friends….but since my forey into the world of spirits and beer, certain relationships took on a different and deeper meaning. I suppose you could gather around hobbies or organizations which intellectually bond you…but the world of Whisky (and beer) not only engage the mind..but the body also. Having had the pleasure to ponder and muse over the postings in this blog, I’ve been able to expand my knowledge and appreciation of the various styles and distiilleries and learn from the feedback from so many of you. John has proven himself to a be a knowledgable and fun guy (something that I can appreciate as so many of my friends are standup comedians) who educates as well as entertains. So a happy Thanksgiving …and my thanks to all.

14. B.J. Reed says:

Thanks to John, Amy and the entire Malt Advocate Staff (Yes, Joan you too!!!) :)

You really add a great deal to not only the industry but to linking very disparate individuals to a common focus on their love of spirits, particularly whisky – People in Omaha now start their conversations with me focusing on my love of single malt whisky and it has become a kind of signature identifier for who I am along with my professional life in higher education. I have met wonderful people from all over the world, in part because of my comment with the Advocate and Whiskyfest so I am truly thankful for that connection.

Thanks John and have a great Thanksgiving!

15. NCNelz says:

Thanks John for your expertise and commitment to excellence (raiders fan). Checking WDJK has become an almost daily routine to see what new is going on in Whiskey….. I’m a fairly new whiskey / whisky lover (2 & half years now) , WDJK and Malt Advocate has increased my knowledge ten fold, in a very short time. I value your opinion and always check your reviews before I make a purchase. I once thought Crown Royal was as good as it got ……now I’m savoring Stagg,several of the Ardbegs just to mention a few . I’ve come a long way, thanks for the lift .

16. JWC says:

Thank you John for your expertise and providing this community for all of us. I also want to thank the posters on here – I’ve learned and explored other aspects of whiskey because of some of the contributions of the posters.

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving.

17. William H. Gaunce says:

Happy and Safe Thanksgiving John. Thanks for all you do!

18. BourbonBreath says:

You know, I thought I’d celebrate with the fam at the beach all this week, which is a treat for us, with something nice from the bunker…But this year, my family is indulging in bloody’s and various other vodka concoctions, so I just brought two knob creeks along for fun, and what fun its been…

Great weather, great wind and kites, great family, and of course, a great bourbon….Who could ask for more.

Happy Turkey Day all….

19. Pat B says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Started last night with a 15 y.o. Pappy Van Winkle. Just a quick nightcap with my sister who is going to be hosting the entire family for dinner.