Is this you?

December 7th, 2010

We are tinkering around with the Malt Advocate media kit, and I was reading the summary of a survey we conducted a few years back describing what our readers drink. Here’s the breakdown.

What types of whiskies do you drink?

Single malts        92.5%

Bourbon              63%

Irish                       48.5%

Blended Scotch  46%

Canadian             16.6%

What other alcoholic beverages do you enjoy?

Beer                      83%

Wine                     85%

Vodka                   42%

Rum                       39%

Tequila                 38%

Gin                         34%

Cognac                 33%

Other liqueurs   29%

How about you? Does this describe you? It describes me very well, except for the beer and the vodka. I drink more beer than anything else (which probably explains my gradually expanding waistline), and don’t drink as much vodka as I do rum and tequila.

The next time we conduct our survey, we will have to include categories for Japanese whiskies, Indian whisky, craft distillers, and maybe a few others.

39 Responses to “Is this you?”

1. Joe M says:

Yep, just about everything save vodka. I realize that there ARE differences between vodkas (flavored ones aside), but just not enough, compared to other categories, to keep me interested.

2. Gary says:

No. I drink almost exclusively Bourbon/Rye and beer. I don’t drink any other hard liquor and usually only wine with a meal.

3. miguel says:

I drink mostly single malt and wine. I don’t like usually blends.
    I am starting discovering single grain whiskies and bourbon.

4. sku says:

It seems strange that Cognac is listed but not brandy generally. These days, brandy is probably the spirit I spend the most time with after whiskey (though it’s a distant second), but listing only Cognac would be like listing Scotch and not any other whiskey.

5. bozzy says:

Any kind of whisk(e)y would be my number one followed buy beer and wine but since I am born and raised in Istanbul “raki” would be the next drink for me. It is in my genes… I cannot help… :) I think it could be categorized under “brandy” as well though. On the other hand do you guys think the category “wine” includes also fortified wines? I am a big fan of Port, Madeira, PX, Oloroso and other type of sherries.

6. Gllaguno says:

I dont drink Vodka, neither tequila (being a mexican it a bit odd). But instead cognac. Apart from that that’s my description!

Don’t think Rye really deserves its own category, huh? I guess when you did this survey it probably wasn’t the big deal it is now. But I do know folks, my girl included, who take a real interest in rye, but don’t care for bourbon.

We’ll include rye in the next survey, Red. But if the numbers are low, we won’t include it in the results. Hopefully we’ll see a good interest, but even with its increased popularity, it’s still a small percentage of the market.

8. David G says:

Yup, that’s me. 92.5% Single malts, 63% Bourbon, and 85% wine, which explains why I drink 240.5% more than I should :)

Given that I’m learning more about sherries from my Single Malt adventures (thank you, Glenmorangie!), I’ve been thinking about seeing how they taste apart from the delciousness they leave in their casks for whiskey to enjoy.

9. Jason Pyle says:

Not exactly me. I’m more on Bourbon, American Whiskey, and Rye. To a much smaller extent Scotch, Irish, and Canadian. I drink Wine and Beer frequently, and Gin and Vodka infrequently.

10. Dave Baxter says:

I mainly drink Craft Brewed Beer and Single Malt Scotch. I also like good Tequila, Rum & Canadian Rye.

11. MrTH says:

Beer more than anything, then whisky (mostly single malt but other stuff, too), wine with dinner now and then. I drink a few other odd spirits occasionally–calvados; pear, plum, and apple brandies. Liqueurs is not the proper word for these. Perhaps it’s worth distinguishing between aged and unaged brandies.

12. Vince says:

I am a bourbon drinker through and through. My distant seconds are wine, and scotch. I also enjoy a good rye, especially the van winkle and the antique collection ryes. Beer occasionally (I use to be a big beer drinker) and very rarely a vodka.

13. Eric H says:

I’d say bourbon, beer and scotch, in that order. I do drink other stuff, but not with any sort of regularity. Those are the only three that I actually keep on hand at all times.

14. Jimmy says:

I regularly drink beer the most, then wine, rye, bourbon, and scotch in that order. All other spirits are enjoyed in negligible quantities.

It would be interesting to see a split between ‘at home’ habits and ‘out on the town’ habits. That beer and wine are the front runners for me mostly has to do with the fact I go out a lot and simply can’t afford to drink the top-shelf whiskies I most enjoy. But at home, I’ve always got a bottle of something good open. I rarely drink beer at home.

15. Keith Sexton says:

Mostly single malts for me, with some blends mixed in too. Then wine, then beer. I have no idea why, but I rarely keep beer at home anymore.

16. two-bit cowboy says:

Tough to create a great survey instrument. Simplicity likely serves your purpose best, but it might be interesting to know preferences within the single malt category (peated, sherried, bourbon cask, other maturation/finish woods).

As for me, 95% single malt Scotch whisky: a clean, simple bourbon cask before a meal is hard to beat. Afterward, though, smoke is king. Beer, wine, a rare splash of sipping tequila, and an after-dinner, out-of-the-freezer German raspberry schnapps (himbeergeist) comprise the other 5% of my personal favorites.

• Red_Arremer says:

Right on– “a clean simple bourbon cask” is where it’s at Two Bit. Tried the Glen Scotia Mission Bottling the other night. Great stuff– wouldn’t have shined the same through sherry.

17. Bob Siddoway says:

Those results look pretty close to what I drink: bourbon, scotch, and beer, in that order. But after that in fourth place I would have to say absinthe, then wine. No absinthe category? Perhaps I am in the minority here.

18. Murrell Kinkade says:

Single malts, a few blends and bourbon. Other than that, craft beer. It is not that I dislike rum, gin, vodka or tequila, I just prefer whisk(e)y including Irish and Canadian to lesser extent. Bourbon and single malt scotches just seem related to really good craft beers such as from Founders and others of like ilk. Lexington Brewery in Lex. Ky. is doing some really great things with beer.

19. Mr Claw says:

Not too inacurate.

1) Scottish single malts.
    2) Ryes
    3) Vatted malts
    4) Japanese whiskies
    5) (Scottish) Blends
    6) Irish
    7) Bourbon (I do like bourbon but I’ve drank most of my stuff and don’t own a lot at the mo).

Other than that:

1) Port
    2) Beer
    3) Rum
    4) Wine
    5) Brandy (and the like)

20. Mark says:

Go by what and what quantities I regularly keep at home:

Always numerous single malts, usually >/= 12 open bottles at a time.
    Always a bottle or two of american whiskey, usually a bourbon and a rye.
    Always a bottle of Vodka in the freezer (for long work days with little after work time but strong need for something strong and quick!).
    Always some kind of beer in the fridge, usually something “crafty” or otherwise somewhat fancy.
    Always a few bottles of wine, usually a mix of reds (no country allegiance) and bubbly (most often Cava).

I drink tequila with gusto on vacation in warm places but I rarely have it at home.
    I will happily take an after dinner grappa or brandy when offered at a friend’s home I frequent. But I never have any at home.

I do not care for rum much.
    I quit the gin– makes me crazy.

• Mr Claw says:

I’m of the opinion that, after the various forms of whisk(e)y out there, rum is the next best spirit.

(Then again I don’t have (too) much experience with (good) cognac/armagnac…)

Still, a good rum’s a great thing.

21. Remove vodka, tequila and gin, and you’re dangeruosly close to my profile ;-)

22. Henry H. says:

Hoo boy, there are some pretty stout constitutions on display here!

There’s only so much room in this fellow’s bloodstream, not to mention limitations on time. So for me it’s single malts, beer, and the occasional glass of wine with dinner. And to recover from mowing the yard, a simple 3-2-1 margarita sometimes comes in handy.

23. Louis says:

Single malt scotch and bourbo at home, and we go thru 1-2 bottles of wine per month as well. Also some white spirits in the summer, for days it is just too hot for whisky. Out of house is a different story. NYC restaurants mark up liquor excessively to keep food items reasonable, and I find beer to be a better option. At a friends house or catered event, a half decent blend may be the best or only choice.

24. Mike F. says:

I’m with you, John: beer is a staple (with a focus on souts and dark ales for those antioxidant-inducing polyphenols). Where else can you get your vitamins and calcium with such a pleasurable side effect? Then perhaps single malts followed by American whiskeys (bourbon and rye in equal proportions). In a bar, I lean toward ryes because of the (still) lower cost.
    The rest is almost coincidental– if I have a glass of wine it’s probably because someone opened a nice bottle with the expectation that I’d drink it. If you work at it, some kind of beer or whisk/e/y goes with just about any food, thus making wine even that much more irrelevant. Just like the 3rd millennium BC, our own 3rd millennium is the age of the malt.
    But there’s some quality tequillas and mezcals out there, too.

25. Jason R says:

Typically single malts and blended malts. Fridge is always stocked with multiple IPA’s. Few bourbons and 2 rums, and 1 each of vodka and tequila

26. lucky says:

I’m nothing like that profile- mine looks like this;

WHISKIES

OTHER
    Beer 45%
    Wine 30%
    Tequila 10%
    Armagnac 10%
    Gin 5%

Never could get into vodka. I do love me some good sipping tequila and armagnac, though!

28. mark davis says:

That sounds like me accept I probably drink a lot more campari and pimms than most of your readers.

29. George Jetson says:

Late to the party…..

Whiskies:
    Singles – 30%
    Bourbon (almost exclusively Rye) – 15%
    Irish – 5%
    Blends – 30%
    Canadian – 20%

Other:
    Beer – 15%
    Wine – 45%
    Gin – 35%
    Absynthe – 5%

30. Chistian C. says:

Somehow all my results get jumbled. I drink mostly beer, although 90% of that is barrel-aged, Then I follow that up with single-malts, then tequila (never blanco), then rye, and the bourbon. I find it funny that I hardly ever drink wine, although I live in the heart of California’s wine country, and am in the business of selling it. And if I do drink it, it’s usually port or sherry.

31. Shell says:

I mainly drink single malt scotch (especially from the Islay region) and rye whiskey – probably 80% of the time. Canadian (Crown Royal), aged rum, Cognac and Armagnac, and wine are also enjoyed, but not as often as the single malt and rye.

32. Sheila says:

While Single malts are my first love, I am nearly equally as fond of any well-made, barrel-aged spirit: Bourbons, Ryes, Rums, Tequilas. Cognacs and Armagnacs are always a nice alternative to Scotch, as is Port–tawny or ruby. As a graduate student in England on a “beer” income, I also came to appreciate the different options from lagers to stouts, and became a fan of real ales–but these are hard to come by in the US. While I enjoy wine, it is much lower on the list for me–and Vodka is hardly on the radar. But the burning question I have is this: Among women who are Scotch enthusiasts (yes, there is a growing faction of us, contrary to popular notions), what is the breakdown?