New whiskies heading to the U.S.

March 11th, 2011

For all of my United States readers, I thought you might like to know that there’s a bunch of new whiskies heading our way. I listed them below.

(I apologize in advance for not knowing the answers to the questions you are going to ask, like: When is it coming? Where will it be available? How much is it going to cost? With any luck, the importers will chime in here.)

For those of you coming to WhiskyFest Chicago in April, some of these whiskies will be poured there. You can find the complete WhiskyFest list here.

The new whiskies

Armorik Breton whisky (from Brittany)

Lark (from Tasmania): Single Cask, Cask Strength, Distillers Selection Single Cask

Samaroli (from Scotland): a bunch of them!

Tomatin “Decades”

Glen Garioch 1991 Vintage (extra smoky!)

Ardmore 10 year old Cask Strength

Glenmorangie Pride 1981 Vintage

Bruichladdich: “Laddie Classic”, Port Charlotte “An Turas Mor”

Michael Collins 10 year old Irish single malt

Plus something new from Dalmore (shhh!)

33 Responses to “New whiskies heading to the U.S.”

1. sku says:

Samaroli!!! Exciting.

• Bill H. says:

I’m intrigued. I imagine these as being top-shelf indies, but maybe I’m only judging from the collector’s bottlings I’ve coveted on line.

• Andrea says:

Samaroli from Scotland ??!! I thought it was based in Italy !!!

I am listing the whiskies by where they were distilled…

• Andrea says:

True, of course there are no “italian” whiskies, but there is an interesting point here. Samaroli distributed truly fabolous whiskies in the 70′s and 80′s, but their more recents products have been few and much less stellar. Why are they coming in the american market, considering that they are barely in the italian one ?

2. Josh West says:

I’ve seen the Amorik in Massachusetts already. Has anybody tried this one? Have tasting notes to share?

• MrTH says:

I had a bottle of it. Sorry, no tasting notes, not my thing, but my recollection was that it was a decent but not very exciting whisky.

Incidentally, it is Breton whisky, from Brittany. And it’s Armorik.

• Christine says:

Tasting notes: light floral notes with a touch of citrus in the end. Soft and honeyed, lightly spicy, all wrapped up in a balanced wood finish dotted with a citrus note. Lightly smokey and pleasantly peaty. This is not a heavy type of single malt but very refined in my opionion.

3. Brian Bradley (Brian 47126) says:

The PC will more than likely be something I need to purchase; however, I may end up holding out for that case of Ardbeg Alligator that I know I will need to buy.

4. Joe Hyman says:

i’m just licking my chops, waiting for ‘alligator’

5. two-bit cowboy says:

Here are a couple more:

Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix — already released in some markets

Arran Machrie Moor — this month

Isle of Jura 21 year old 200th Anniversary (1810 – 2010) — next month

Yeah, I’m only listing the whiskies that I was told about by the whisky companies directly (as opposed to whiskies that I have heard are coming through other sources). Otherwise, my list would have been a bit longer.

• two-bit cowboy says:

Being more than a couple “degrees” removed from the “whisky companies directly,” I have to rely on the US importers.

6. Alex says:

The PC and Samaroli news is exciting indeed. Love the idea of a cask strength Ardmore too…

7. Chap says:

Amorik’s new to me. Is it related at all to the legendary Breton whisky P&M?

8. I look forward to trying Lark from Tasmania. Thanks for the “official” listing John. Curious to see how well some of these do here, and the marketing behind them.

9. Andre Girard says:

Armorik was a ordinary whisky to me. Honey & cereals notes, green bananas,
    but too dry to me and show a lack of character. Flat on the tongue…Tried twice.
    If you really wanna try a whiksy from Bretagne (France), you must try the EDDU or the KERNOG. These are exceptional whiskies.

Never tried Lark distillery but liked very much the TASMANIAN DISTILLERY products, the Double cask and the Port cask (ask strength)bottled at 60% are very nice.

• MrTH says:

Eddu Silver is made from buckwheat, and is as different from malt whisky as is rye, though in a different direction. Takes some getting used to, but is very nice on its own terms. As I recall, buckwheat (blé noir, or black wheat, in French) is the grain traditionally used to make savory crêpes in Briitany. Have yet to try the Kornog. Gee, I really need to go back there….

• Christine says:

Can you tell me where you bought your Armorik? Because the new batch that just came in this January is quite different than the previous one from a few years ago.

Christine, while I see that you do include a link back to your website, I ask that if you are affiliated with a brand in some way (in your case, being the importer), you disclose this when commenting positively on the product you represent. Thanks!

• Andre Girard says:

My Armorik bottles were both bougth at LMDW (La Maison du Whisky Paris).

• Christine says:

Then it is definitely a different batch as the one they have in France is at 40% vol. and the batch we have received in the US in January is at 46% ; there was also a small batch that came in to the US about 3 years ago via another importer and it was at 46% but it did lack character indeed. The batch we just received is really nice and balanced and is well worth a new try. By the way, we are the importer for that product.

• Andre Girard says:

You are rigth. The 2 bottles i’ve tried were 46% abv. As ARMORIK is not available in most part of Canadian market, a friend of mine bring tehm back form Paris. So, with your comments, i need to find the 46% alcool version fo my next review on our web site.

I’ve just checked LMDW Paris website and they have 2 different bottlings. One bottled at 40% alcool and another one at 42% – 5yo Armorik.

• Christine says:

The Armorik at 46% we have is aged in refill bourbon casks made of American white oak and some refill sherry butts made of Spanish oak. The Armorik 5 years at 42% is aged in oak from the Parc d’ Armorique and Xeres barrels.
            I would gladly send you a sample for your review but the few times I sent samples to Canada, Fedex sent it back to me as it’s not legal. Warenghem has some connections in Quebec, I will ask them.

• Andre Girard says:

Hi again,

Just sent you an email on your website with my contact information.

Regards

10. mongo says:

i hope the port charlotte will be reasonably priced (it is in the u.k).

11. Jewmalt says:

I’ll take some Vintage Glenmorangie, thank you very much! Serge has given some good reviews to the Samaroli indy bottlings. Looking forward to them as well.

12. K D Kearney says:

Michael Collins 10 YO SM Irish Whiskey is available in Northern Kentucky at Cork ‘n Bottle for around $33 per 750 ml bottle.

This is a great value improvement over the previous no age statement expression which sold in the mid $40s.

The whiskey is the same great drink in a better package at a more affordable price.

13. DavidG says:

i just saw potential pricing for the Glenmorangie, and it is a little scary – https://www.lfw.co.uk/whiskyblog/2011/03/02/glenmorangie-pride/