A good reason to “friend” me on Facebook

March 29th, 2011

I’m not a Facebook fanatic. Same goes for Twitter. But I do use both, along with this blog, to get whisky information out to whisky enthusiasts.

I usually save this blog for more formal posts. It’s Malt Advocate magazine’s official blog, and I try to keep it professional.

Having said this, if you want more whisky information than what I’m posting here, and you don’t mind if it isn’t formal or “official,” then you might want to friend me on Facebook. You’ll find me there regularly (usually daily). I’m putting comments up there that you might find interesting, but on a more personal level.

I will often take pictures of whiskies that I just received and perhaps offer informal thoughts on them (if I’ve tasted them). For example, today I received this very interesting bottle of Irish whiskey called Inish Turk Beg (pictured), and I posted it up on Facebook here.

I’ll also take pictures and comment on what I’m drinking on any given day if I feel motived. I don’t know if that interests you. Sometimes it’s pretty cool stuff–either something new, or something from my bar. Yes, sometimes when I am down in my bar drinking, I take a picture and–in some weird social media way–invite you to join me.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this on to you.  I’m easy to find on Facebook, but here’s a quicker link. I’m also on twitter (@johnhansell), but the only things that go there most of the time are links to my blog posts. However, I do answer questions that people ask me on Twitter, so that’s another way to reach me.

Malt Advocate also has an official Facebook page, which I think you might also find interesting. Right now, links to all my blog posts go there, and I stop by regularly to comment and answer questions.

So, I don’t mean this as a marketing ploy (although it might come across this way, and it might get me new friends on Facebook). I just want to let you know that there’s another way to stay in touch with me in a more informal level–especially considering my blog posts have become less frequent lately due to time constraints.

Fair warning, though: you might have to sort through the occassional “hobby” posts: usually of me and my buddies fishing, boating, down at the Jersey Shore on weekends, or perhaps smoking a cigar (with a whisky, or course…)

Bottom line: I’m trying to make myself as accessible as possible to anyone who loves whisky and wants to learn more about whisky. That’s the least I can do for you.

P.S. (I’m adding this after my original post.) If you do ask to friend me, please include a note that you are a WDJK reader, so I know why you are trying to friend me. I’m learning this the hard way. Thanks!

23 Responses to “A good reason to “friend” me on Facebook”

1. Matthew Soutar says:

Hey John, I sent you a request on FB then read your full mail….yeah I missed the whole “please include a note that you are a WDJK reader”…….haha yeah so oops. Looking forward to seeing the more informal updates. Cheers!

2. Jonathan McDonald says:

ditto

3. Jeremy says:

As did I. My full name is Jeremy Fine on FB.

Okay, I’ll look for you guys. Thanks!

5. two-bit cowboy says:

Yesterday I spent a frustrrating and unrewarding 10 minutes on an unsolicited phone call from a guy trying to get me to pay his “business” $10 to help me start a Facebook account for our business. He acted like I was the last guy in the world who didn’t have a personal Facebook account. I’m sure I’m not.

He couldn’t believe that people find our business without having a Facebook account. He found me!

Oh, and we hosted our first guests this month who found us through Malt Advocate! Wonderful folks. Thanks, John.

Anyway, all this to say, I’ll keep checking here for your posts, John.

Cheers,

Bob

6. Gary says:

I regulary check out John’s FB page. It is fun, light-hearted but still packed with casual whiskey information. I heartily recommend his page if you are a whiskey enthusiast.

And I have learned that Facebook maxes you out at 5,000 friends. I’m not that far away, so I need to be careful and very selective. If you do ask to friend me, please make sure you’re a WDJK reader in the comment section.

• Barry Jay says:

You really have to be careful when on John’s Facebook page. If you’re trying to diet, his mobile uploads of his gastrointestional adventures will have you salivating…beware!

7. snakeman says:

Well, I’m not a FB member, nor do I use twitter. I can’t see the need for all this social media crap.
    I not going to tell people not to do that sort of thing, but it ain’t me. So I will continue to follow this blog, and the others I read. If I miss something that was on FB and not in the blogs, oh well, life goes on.

8. Alex says:

Hey John,

Just re-add requested you with a note. Looking forward to connecting with you on FB :)

9. bj reed says:

Gee John does that mean you don’t want a lot of Farmville or Mafia Wars posts from me? :)

10. Henry H. says:

No thanks. I don’t have employment (as you do, John) that requires me to participate in time- and soul-sucking “social media” sites, and thank goodness. Let’s hope this is obvious to most anyone, but there are no “friends” who haven’t met and spent significant time together.

It’s a shame that this blog has rather suddenly become more formal–and that the posts have become less frequent. It’s not lost on many of us that this development came soon after quite a barrage of strong opinions, including yours, John–in fact, prompted by yours. I appreciated that you informed us of the pressure from the industry to tone it down, yet I fear it has had the desired effect.

Things change. But it’s a shame the lively discussions have mostly disappeared from this blog.

Henry, my job doesn’t require me to do this. I do this because I love whisky and because I think of everyone in the world as a friend until they give me a reason to think otherwise. I’m sorry that you take a more negative view of social media–and people in general–than I do.

I am running this blog voluntarily–and without any cost to you–in addition to my other responsibilities, both professional (publishing Malt Advocate, overseeing Whiskyfest) and non-professional (my wife, family and health–which will always come first!).

I write what I want, when I want to, and about whatever motivates me at the time. There are no ground rules, no pressures that I must submit to, no set plan. It is 100% spontaneous. Sometimes it is informative, sometimes it is opinionated, and sometimes it is entertaining. And as you have shown, it will never be all things to all people.

• Henry H. says:

John, I’ve thought quite a bit about your reply. I won’t add much here, but I do need to make sure you (and any others who stumble on this in the future) understand that what I originally wrote in no way means I have any general “negative view of people.” Far from it: My view of people is that we are amazing beings with marvelous natures and near-unlimited potential. Of course, we also have some problems that have resulted in many horrors over the course of our history. Among those problems are a potential for unenlightened self-interest and myopia.

Your view on friends, along with your assertion that your blog postings are 100% spontaneous, cannot possibly be taken seriously. I’m embarrassed for you. Not to worry, I will never post comments here again.

They are spontaneous. Most times I don’t know what I am going to post until I sit down and write it up. If you don’t believe me, then I doubt there’s anything I can do to change your mind. My boss has never even brought up my blog, let alone what I am blogging about, how frequently I am blogging, etc.

And no one wants you to stop commenting. The best part of this blog is that I believe in free speech and want people to express their feelings. Please continue to participate.

• Barry Jay says:

Henry, I felt the sameway about Facebook until I carefully examined it. It can be a very useful “one stop shop” for all updates fron your favorite distilleries, breweries, beer and spirits stores..and of course, the legendary John Hansell. Instead of hitting 20 web pages….you find all the information in one spot. John’s presence there allows for you to enter into the inner sanctorum of Casa De LA Hansell for a often quick witted and informal place at his table. I ‘ve had many a belly laugh there…while learning new things about whisky. As far as this blog, who could ever accuse this of being formal….or even worse, censored (ok maybe once in while when a guest gets outta hand)…he always wants free and open ideas and opinions.

11. Perry McArdle III says:

Please add me John, I am a young Bourbon buyer that has really appreciated your WDJK !

12. Hi John,

I’ll make a request on FB shortly – hope I get there before they cap you.

Two quick questions about Inish Turk Beg – do you know where it’s distilled (I suspect Cooley, but there doesn’t seem to be any definitive confirmation out there), and whether it’s the first whiskey matured in poitin casks?

Ciao
    Patrick

13. Amir Peay says:

Hi John,

FYI – a personal FB account maxes out at 5,000 friends, but if you set up a page for a product or service you can have unlimited fans. You can always start a page and ask your friends to switch and become fans of that page. Over time hopefully they all move over and you can have as many people follow you on FB as you would like.