A few administrative notes

June 1st, 2011

I hope you enjoyed the daily whisky reviews this past month. I think it was a good way to introduce you to the other whisky reviewers in the Malt Advocate team. Although they follow the Malt Advocate rating scheme, each one has his own style.

Our new issue of Malt Advocate hits the streets today. It’s a special one: our 20th Anniversary issue. If you are not a subscriber, be sure to pick up a copy. It’s our largest issue yet–and our most personal. You’ll find out how Malt Advocate (and WhiskyFest) was created, and there’s an interview with my wife Amy (pictured) and me. She has been my business partner since the beginning. Without her, there would be no Malt Advocate or Whiskyfest.

This will probably be my last post for about a week. I’m taking the next couple days off for vacation. Then, the first half of next week is filled with editorial meetings, doctor visits (routine stuff), etc.

We have some very exciting things planned for the next 20 years. We’re already working on them. Stay tuned…

38 Responses to “A few administrative notes”

1. DavindeK says:

Hi John (and Amy)
    Heartiest congratulations on your first twenty years. I’m looking forward to watching your plans unfold for the next twenty!
    Davin

2. Chris says:

Congrats on 20 years of Malt Advocate! I’ve only been into whisky for a few years now, but I love your magazine, and can’t wait for the next 20 years!

3. Luke says:

Many Happy Returns John!

• Luke says:

BTW John, what’s in the bottle in the photo? Just asking…

That’s a label-less Balvenie. I was trying to be neutral.

• Matt MacLean says:

Hi John, Being a big fan of the labelless bottle myself, ive come by a 66′ and 74′ vintage and wondering if you’ve had a chance to try them? Speaking of the WF coming up, who arranges the vintages being tasted? One intro I would like to try is the 95′ by Glenrothes as I am a big fan aswell. Congrates on the 20 mark and perhaps well get a chance to say hello during vip hour, all the best !!!

4. bj reed says:

Congrats John and Amy – You have much to celebrate and be proud of both personally and professionally.

I too am interested to see what will happen with MA and Whiskyfest over the coming years– Enjoy your vacation. Endure your meetings.

6. Scribe says:

John and Amy, thank you so much for bringing the passion that you do to MA and WhiskyFest…and I say that sincerely. You have been shepherds, of sorts, steering my own growing appreciation for whiskey over the years. I don’t always agree with your tastes … but this is a wonderful beacon to help keep me on course and trying new things, based on the experience you’ve built. Thanks for being so good at what you do!

7. snakeman says:

Congratulations John, and Amy on your first 20 years both as a couple, and the magazine.
    May the next 20 allow you both to grow in your endeavors of life.
    Some day I hope to attend a WhiskyFest.

8. Terry Lozoff says:

Congrats on 20! I’m looking forward to the new issue… and the next 20 years of great whisky reading.

9. Mark Davis says:

can one of them please be
    Malt Advocate: THE RIDE

10. JWC says:

Congratulations John.

11. Timothy says:

Wow! Hard to believe that I am only a couple years older than MA! I look forward to my issue hitting my mailbox!

12. Andre Girard says:

Enjoy your vacations, relax and take care.

Regards,

13. Jewmalt says:

John, Amy — Mazel Tov on your first twenty years!! I’ll toast to your next twenty! L’chayim!

14. sku says:

Congratulations! Looking forward to the issue.

15. two-bit cowboy says:

Congrats Amy and John on your first score.

Here’s to at least a couple more.

Bob

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

17. Peder Orrgren says:

As a reader and whiskylover from Sweden I must say you have the greatest magazine in the whiskyworld. Keep up the great work!
    Peder

18. Congratulations, John & Amy!!!

19. Louis says:

Congratulations, John and Amy. I started to subscribe eleven years ago to learn more about single malt scotch, and discovered a much bigger whisk(e)y universe than I ever imagined. Here’s to the next twenty years.

Slainte.

Louis

20. Eric says:

Have fun on vacation! Looking forward to the new exiting things on the way.

21. Jason Pyle says:

John and Amy, congratulations on 20 years – such a great achievement. Cheers to you both!

22. Scribe says:

John, pardon me for being overly analytical of a terrific picture of you and your wife. But since someone already posted a question on the whiskey pictured, I’ll post one on the glass you’re using! I’ve got Glencairn and Riedel single-malt whiskey glasses — but am always looking for something new. Might that be a Riedel stemless wine glass? Would appreciate any specifics and how it stacks up against the others. Again, apologies for the compulsive nature of my question — especially on the eve of your vacation! :)

• Rick Duff says:

It’s a Riedel stemless spirit glass. It’s nice. A little more open than the Glencairn and not as open as the Riedel single-malt glass. I also find the Riedel stemless Canadian Whisky glass very nice. It’s amazing how much change in flavour you can get from just a change in stemware.

• Scribe says:

Thanks, Rick…most helpful *and* saves John from having to reply a week hence! :)

• Matt MacLean says:

some of your taller style port glasses are nice aswell. Try a champagne flute once in awile just to mix it up, then you get something that can contain at least a couple drams worth!

23. JC Skinner says:

Many congratulations.

24. Rich Cressman says:

Your wife??? Surely John that’s your daughter!

25. Brian B. (brian47126) says:

Congrats John!. I am sure the next 20 will be better than the last. Enjoy your vacation good sir!

26. Whisky Monique says:

Proof that whisky really is the world’s greatest preservative… You two look younger every day, great picture. Congratulations on 20 more, I can’t wait to see what new things you have in store!

27. Whisky Monique says:

Proof that whisky really is the greatest preservative in the world. Great picture, you two look fantastic. Holiday well-deserved after a work-soaked May. Congratulations and good luck on the next 20, can’t wait to see what you guys are up to!

28. Paul Bissett says:

Congratulations John, and Amy, unfortunately I missed the first 20. I have only received one issue of MA thus far, but have read and reread it and can’t wait for the next issue. Keep up the great work.

29. MrTH says:

We all know that the journey is more important than the destination (because, let’s face it, the ultimate destination is nowhere we’re in a hurry to get to). The fortunate among us have interesting journeys. You, Mr and Mrs Hansell, have not only been lucky enough to have a great journey; you have also helped countless others to improve their journeys, and to appreciate them. Whisky is a marvelous experience, and experience is all there is. Thanks for being great guides!

30. Barry Jay says:

A wonderful edition for sure…and a wonderful view into the inner sanctum.