Some new whiskies here in the U.S.

August 24th, 2011

A few thoughts on new whisky information that crossed my desk recently:

The gently peated Hakushu whisky from Suntory is finally coming to the U.S. The official launch is October 12th. I’ve been pleading with my friends at Suntory to bring it in as a companion to Yamazaki for many years. It’s great to see it finally coming here.

Isle of Skye 12 year old blended scotch is finally making its way to our shores. Previously, the U.S. has only been getting the 8 year old.

John Hall, whiskymaker of Canada’s Forty Creek whisky, has a new “John’s Private Cask No. 1″ release. This is coming to the States too. I’ve tasted this already and it’s another delicious release by John.

Finally, Buffalo Trace is about to release a new Single Barrel version of their Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. bourbon (pictured). This one will be 11 years, 7 months old and bottle in bond (100 proof).

I’m sure there will be many more new whiskies coming on the market as we approach the holiday season.

20 Responses to “Some new whiskies here in the U.S.”

1. Can’t wait for more Japanese Whiskys! I am luck enough to live close to Canada and can get Nikka when I go over the border, but dealing with customs can sometimes be tough. Really looking forward to the Hakushu. Living in Buffalo also makes the short ride up the Q.E.W. to Forty Creek an an enjoyable day and I have never had a whisky from John Hall I didn’t like. The Isle of Skye 8 yr. has always been a great value & I am interested to see the price point & malt-to-grain ratio of the 12 yr.

2. Bob Siddoway says:

I’m pretty impressed, as usual, by all of the new things Buffalo Trace releases every year. This BIB Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. will be something I’m going to try to get my hands on…

The new Forty Creek should be interesting, as well.

3. MrTH says:

Holiday season? Oh yeah, Labor Day’s creeping up, isn’t it?

4. mongo says:

great news about hakushu! is it going to be in general release? and any info about pricing?

5. George Jetson says:

Good news about the IoS 12yo, there’s another one not competing for luggage space anymore coming home from Europe. I really like the 25yo IoS, but that is hard to find even in the EU. The 40 Creek sounds like a deluxe version of the old Three Grain, should be fantastic. The Hakushu is a great addition, but I still wish we could get the Yoichi here.

6. Ethan says:

Which expression(s) of Hakushu is (are?) coming to the USA?

7. H. Diaz says:

….more Japanese whiskies for USA, kudasai (please) .

8. KD says:

I’m an idiot, or just not informed.

What does “bottle in bond” mean?

• Chris says:

It’s a legal definition, almost always used for bourbon, but it doesn’t have to be. A bottled-in-bond whiskey must have been stored under federal bond for at least four years old, must be the product of one distillation season and one distiller at one distillery. It also must be bottled at 100 proof, and the distillery must be identified (by DSP number). It dates back to before there was real enforcement of truth-in-labeling laws, when counterfeit whiskey was a huge problem. It’s a somewhat archaic term now.

• sam k says:

Not only a legal definition, but the first federally mandated consumer safety legislation in existence. It applies to any American whiskey category, and originally was used much more for rye than anything else, simply because of the overwhelming preference for rye at the time.

Archaic? Yes, but it’s still a term I love to see used, and it continues to guarantee a level of truth and consistency that I patronize every time I can. I’d like to see it used more frequently!

9. Patrick says:

“a new Single Barrel version of their Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. bourbon (pictured)”`?
    According the label I have seen and what I have been told at the distillery, the E.H. Taylor is a small batch and not a single Barrel version.