More whiskies (and whiskeys) heading our way

August 31st, 2011

The new and seasonal releases are still picking up with autumn just around the bend. (This post is from a U.S. perspective.)

There’s yet another 10 year old, 100% rye whiskey from an undisclosed Canadian source coming out called Masterson’s. I have a bottle and tried it last night. It definitely displays the same flavor profile as WhistlePig and Jefferson’s Rye whiskeys. So, if you missed out on your chance to get those, you have another opportunity with Masterson’s. It’s 90 proof and will be priced at around $80.

I also have a review sample of the 2011 Limited Edition release from the Four Roses distillery. This one combines four different recipes, aged between 11 and 13 years. It’s being released in September.

Buffalo Trace announced the impending release of this year’s Antique Collection. No change in the whiskey line. Just tweaks. I’m looking forward to trying them.

Laphroaig Triple Wood is finally hitting the U.S. shores. Look out for that one.

Finally, Drambuie introduced “Drambuie 15″ in the U.S. It’s a more premium version of the liqueur, supposedly made with Speyside malts (pictured). It’s bottled at 43% and will be around $56.

I’ll try to get some formal reviews done on the American whiskeys and post them up here soon. (You can find my Laphroaig Triple Wood review here. )

25 Responses to “More whiskies (and whiskeys) heading our way”

1. lawschooldrunk says:

Really?! There’s a market for drambuie 15 years old?

I hope Laphroaig prices the triple wood well.

2. Rick H says:

I had the pleasure of trying the Laphroaig Triple Wood and the Drambuie 15 at the excellent Whisky Fringe in Edinburgh on Aug 7.

Drambuie 15 is just like regular Drambuie – that is, whisky mixed with spices and honey. But instead of blended whisky (grain and malt, young mostly) it’s 100% single malt speyside whisky of at least 15 years old. It’s much, much better than regular Drambuie – the pourer called it a “rusty nail in a bottle” and he’s not wrong. There is no need to mix this – it’s perfect as is. Much less sweet and much more whisky than the basic Drambuie. Really good stuff.

Laphroaig Triple Wood is also excellent. Prices were reasonable in travel retail but I didn’t buy because it was coming here soon.

3. Amy Westlake says:

Drambuie will be exhibiting at WhiskyFest this fall.

4. Chris says:

Oh man, the annual massacre of my bank account on Antique Collection Day is almost here again. Soooo excited, and obviously soooo worth it! Can’t wait for some reviews.

• Mary says:

Chris: I’m looking forward to the Antiques too (but my bank account is not) – I’m already on the list at my local store.

• Chris says:

Mary: I know exactly how you feel! I’m already on my local store’s list too. And though my bank account screams long and loud afterwards, it’s so worth it. After all, it’ s just money.

5. Bob Siddoway says:

Wow, great news! I’m very excited for the new Antique Collection! I’ve really enjoyed the past couple years’ releases.

The Triple Wood should be great, as well. It’s hard to beat Laphroaig. Now if only they’d bring back the 15 year-old…

• Red_Arremer says:

Couldn’t agree more about the 15 yo, Bob. That was a really nice one. I’m interested to see what the story with Trip Wood is– Ralfy panned it saying it’s an inadequate attempt to put a fix n’ finish on the quartercasks that turn out lemons…

• Bob Siddoway says:

Well, we will see about the Triple Wood. It’s still an interesting idea and at the end of the day, it will still be a Laphroaig, my favorite Islay.

• Red_Arremer says:

My fav too Bob & I also hope this works out as I’ve been missing an affordable, available, sherried Laph since the 15 got dropped…

• mongo says:

i really like laphroaig and good sherried laphroaigs, of which the triple wood is one–i’m on my second liter bottle.

signatory has put out a number of very good price/value young refill sherry aged laphroaigs too. the 7 year old from the 2000 vintage (cask 3683) is particularly good if you can find it.

6. Dutch says:

Re the Masterson’s, how do you compare all three to each other? Are they similar enough that price can be the deciding factor?
    I took a bottle of Bulleitt rye this weekend to a bbq, and had to take it off the table and put it away so I would have some to take back home LOL, it seems like it was the most popular of the whiskeys on the table. (Had CC, Crown Royal, Evan Williams, VO, and Jameson there). It was the first time they had a chance to have a straight rye.
    How would you compare the Canadian bottlings to Bulleitt?

• Red_Arremer says:

Jefferson’s 10 yo is already a great 100% rye whiskey, which is @ 47% and only costs 30-40$. I’m real curious to see how the Masterson’s stacks up (@90$)…

• Vince says:

Red,

I agree on the Jefferson’s rye. Over the weekend I compared the Jeffersons to Whistlepig. While I still prefer Whistlepig, I felt the Jeffersons was certainly on the same level in alot of respects, and you cannot beat the price. It will be interesting to see how the Mastersons does in the market.

7. Erik M says:

I read a lot of blogger speculation earlier this year that Pappy stocks were almost dried up and the line might not be released this fall. Anyone heard anything about this?

• JD says:

Wow, I hope not.

Though if I have to just make do with BTAC it’s not the end of the world I guess.

• Preston Van Winkle has been posting updates on the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery Facebook page. The full line is being released this fall. In fact, they’re in the bottling process, now.

• Chris says:

I think that speculation was in reference to the stocks from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery, which closed in 1991. Harlan Wheatley said earlier this year that the 20 and 23 YO is likely still all from Stitzel-Weller, but that the other Van Winkle bottlings are at least primarily all made with bourbon made by Buffalo Trace. The Van Winkle brand used the wheated bourbon made at Stitzel-Weller. Then, once Stitzel-Weller closed, Van Winkle switched to buying from Buffalo Trace (using the same recipe as before). So it’s just the stocks from the original distillery that are drying up, not the brand itself. The only real limit on how much Van Winkle is bottled is how many barrels they can find in the warehouses that they like, and then also how many of bottles they want to put out at a time.

8. Erik M says:

Thanks for the info, MMM. Just took a look at the FB page you mentioned and I like what I see. Ladies and gentlemen, let yet another great Pappy hunt begin!

PS Hopefully it’s easier than last year! :-)